• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are skid links breaking on the GTs?

That's what I've been thinking.

You guys who keep breaking links should try this zip tie trick on both skid shocks to see if you're getting all the travel out of them. Let us know.

This theory has been proposed by a few people. Let's see if it's true.

Mine I welded that link and switched shocks at same time.But I was running it on high when it broke I had to because it was definitly bottoming on Med.This year I ran that welded link for close to 800mi with springs on soft and new shocks in.It bent the shaft link goes to but never broke the welded link.Rear shock has a o-ring on shaft and its always way at top so all travel is being used but not bottoming.I believe a big factor is snow.How much cushion it provides to a mountain sled.

cannondale27 said:
Mine I welded that link and switched shocks at same time.But I was running it on high when it broke I had to because it was definitly bottoming on Med.This year I ran that welded link for close to 800mi with springs on soft and new shocks in.It bent the shaft link goes to but never broke the welded link.Rear shock has a o-ring on shaft and its always way at top so all travel is being used but not bottoming.I believe a big factor is snow.How much cushion it provides to a mountain sled.

I will agree with that assesment on the MT sleds playing in more snow. But how come the GT's arent breaking the link? Its weird as hell. Because if Yamaha had a bad production run on the links it would effect all models I would think.

Would be very nice if a Yamaha Engineer could elaborate on this problem for us, on this forum. Customer service people dont have a clue. We need the R&D boys for answers! Especially for the poor guys that are out of warranty.

Maybe its the rebound action that is breaking them then.Higher rate springs require more rebound dampening.Main reason I bought new shocks was because when mine was set on stiff which I needed to prevent bottoming.The rebound was way too fast not even close to what was needed.Back end kicked bad.

Yes I agree! Unfortunately the rear shock doesnt have rebound adjustment. So the only way to slow it down is too add more compression. Anytime you experience to much rebound you should try turning the comp. clicker in a couple. I went with one click in over stock but, I run my rear torsion springs in the soft position. I run the front skid shock soft as I can.

I wonder if anybody realizes that in the service manual, in the section where they talk about spring lenght for the front skid shock, is incorrect. They have the photos wrong. Be sure to measure the lenght based on your owners manuel only. The service manuel has the GT and the FX mixed up.

Back