• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are SnowTrackers really "Dangerous"?

I had a scaring experience with the snow trackers on my 2011 Apex. Just take it easy when given her out of a turn. The ski's hook so hard that when she decides to let go it can be pretty hairy.

High speed straight a ways they work great, turn great, just don't push them too hard in the turns.

Kaz

race24x said:
I put Skidoo Pilots on my sled, can I just add snowtrackers to them or do I have to go back to stock ski? I am pretty happy with the Pilots and from the sounds I would love snowtrackers I havent looked but if I could do it without changing skis I would like that.

They work even better on the pilots, the steering is very light, like the sled just lost 50 lb. I kept the outside 4"carbide in the pilots to protect the outer edge of the pilots from premature wear and have the Aggressives in the middle because I'm studded.
:sled1:

Just purchased a NEW 2011 Leftover Apex last February and took it to Bingham Maine to break it in! Love the sled, but hated the darting! It even ran hot at one time going along the trail? When I got back home I applied some add ons to the stock skis that worked GREAT on my 04 Warrior for some 6 or 7 years since I applied them. For Anti- darting I cut 1" SS Pipe, 6" long with tapered ends, that are recessed into the ski (This cured the Darting completely and did not radically effect the sled on corners, it was very controllable). I added sno-fins to the ski's for increased cooling and lubrication (on my 04 Warrior these sno-fins worked so well I gained 4 MPH on the Top End). I then modified the retractable Ski-wheelz from the Warrior to fit the Apex. I have not taken a ride yet on the Apex since the upgrades, but I know they worked very well on the Warrior!

Attachments

• 100_7108.jpg
    100_7108.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 100_7109.jpg
    100_7109.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_7110.jpg
    100_7110.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 293
I had a 2006 Attak. Had sly dog ski's with shaper bars to help with the steering. Did it? Yes a little. Replaced sled with 1200 Doo. Night and day difference between the 2 sleds steering wise. My buddy also rides a 2006 Attak and purchased the Snowtrackers. I rode his for about 50 miles....WOW! Lighter steering than my Doo. To me it felt like a bunch of wieght was removed from the front end. I would highly reccommend them. Only reason I don't get them for my Doo is the cost.

And I'm in no way bashing my Attak....It was a great sled and still running strong at 18,000 miles.

I guess I’ll be the exception here. I have run snowtrackers for about 6000km on 2 Yamahas and will say that on hard packed trails they are the best handling runner I have found. That being said, in my experience there are snow and speed conditions where they are unpredictable and quite dangerous. Where I notice this the most is breaking trail in snow that has a fair amount of body to it. In these conditions, if you do not keep the machine under power, keeping the front end light and going at a decent rate of speed, the front end will pitch and dive, almost seemingly at random. Also, when the ST’s are on I will not ride hard to the right widening the trails out when we have new snowfalls, these runners are a handful with one ski on the trail and one off.

Early and late season when these conditions are more likely to exist I run Studboy Deuce bars. When we get to hard pack conditions or go to Quebec the ST’s go on. Unfortunately the Deuce bars are hard on MPG where the ST’s have no effect.

Many people have run my sleds and liked the handling so much that they have purchased ST’s afterwards, but I will not let people run it in loose snow conditions and warn them of the ST’s handling characteristics in the above mentioned conditions.

Overall, for me, they are an excellent product when used in specific conditions.

3 Phase said:
Where I notice this the most is breaking trail in snow that has a fair amount of body to it. In these conditions, if you do not keep the machine under power, keeping the front end light and going at a decent rate of speed, the front end will pitch and dive, almost seemingly at random. Also, when the ST’s are on I will not ride hard to the right widening the trails out when we have new snowfalls, these runners are a handful with one ski on the trail and one off.

I find that these front heavy Yamahas are always a hand full in the loose deep snow. Let off the gas and it dives like a sub. Really can't see how ST's contribute to the sled issue of diving in the powder. But then again I'm mostly a trail rider with Yamaha mountian skis.
I have got about 6000 miles on three differnet sleds equipped with ST's. Never had an issue.

The Apex with stock skis is terrible in deeper snow. The combo of the mountain skis and snow trackers takes care of this.

I've had them on my last 2 sleds, rx1 and my attak. I truly believe not having them is dangerous. I feel those accidents were mostly driver error. With trackers, when you turn your steering, you turn instantly with the trackers, no push just grip, it really is like riding on rails. My assumption is with those accidents, driver was expecting push, turned to far and flipped off because the sled turned instead of pushing.

oh plus the 0 darting thing lol
Would you get semi or aggressive?

No, can not get snowtrackers for powderhounds, I use the yamaha MTX ski with snowtrackers.

You can make Sly Dog Powder Hounds work. The only problem is the keel on the Sly Dog's go all the way to the ski tip and the front bolt is not long enough. I had a nut built that extends down and grabs the threads. I work for a Machine shop / Industrial supply house so I had an advantage making the nut. I will try and get a picture this weekend. They work awesome on the 7" wide powderhounds...

images
Nut looks like this ..

Last edited:
My experience.
15 ltx viper with curves, semi aggressive trackers and the Key is to install the Bergstrom shim under the rear saddle rubber to lift the nose of the ski to have 100% carbide contact.
Ran that setup around 5k and never had any issues. Absolutely loved the tracking with no twitchy feeling coming off throttle to a stop. Held every line i threw at the sled.
Keep in mind my sled was properly dialed in suspension wise which is also key.

I just finished a year with aggressive ST on Apex XTX (1500- 2000 miles) absolutely NOT dangerous, good predictable turning and in short I loved them. Have been a Bergstrom Tripple point guy and still am, this was at least as good and I think better but I did not test head to head so cant say for sure.

Just came back from a 1100km trip in northern Ontario with the aggressive trackers on the old Yamaha single keel ski and my apex handle awesome.

For the most part the trails were rock hard and groomed to perfection and not once did it feel dangerous, I sledded over train tracks, bare wooden bridges and what ever you encounter while riding without problems, they track straight 100% of the time and truly make the apex a joy to ride through the corners.

Back