• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are these the real dyno results?

I found this as a good read and many claiming that the Yamaha dealers where pasting the dyno test on the sleds in the showroom. Also that the numbers where on the Yamaha website and referenced the Dynotech test. Yamaha will not make that mistake again. They claim highest sled hp to date all manufactures as cat was 178hp on their turbo Suzuki twin all Yamaha has to get is 180 to not repeat the last fiasco. I'm thinking that if the sled gets 180 to 185 tight out of the crate people will be happy. Well most then there will be the ones wanting to know why its not 204! Been there done that!

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/dy...shootout-apex-dyno-results.95300/#post-840130

You call it one freak Apex that dynoed over 160 yet so far we have one freak Sidewinder that dynoed over 200. Missing the whole point, pre production and post can be two different sleds. Dyno tech dynoed the Apex. Chis said 5% ( I think it was claimed 8 hp) over previous year which made 152. Which was up from the RX at 140 to 145 but on some dynos was only 135hp. Production 2011 was Dynoed at 151 making the 10 Apex less then 145. So Dyno testing is not a good indicator for so many reasons. Pre and post production can differ as can one dyno to the next and on top of all that new tight motor or loose broke in.

The new 998 can come in all over the place but nowhere have I seen Yamaha claim 204 on the 998 turbo. Cat is claiming 180hp.
Yamaha had large banners saying 204hp at snofest in Old Forge. My point is I never recall Yamaha doing that for the Apex. But yes, things can change. Maybe it will come in less when it rolls out next year. But our best indicator is this dyno test so until I see something that contradicts it I'm going to assume that's the number.

The only thing a dyno is really good for is to find gains after changing something or for tuning for max HP. Too many variables to compare different engines on different days. Now, if you brought in every sled on the same day and dynoed them one right after the other you could compare their differences in HP. The good news is this thing is turning numbers in the range of insanity. Will the one you purchase turn 204 on every dyno? NO. But has any other production sled ever turned anywhere close to 204 on any dyno? NO.

The only thing a dyno is really good for is to find gains after changing something or for tuning for max HP. Too many variables to compare different engines on different days. Now, if you brought in every sled on the same day and dynoed them one right after the other you could compare their differences in HP. The good news is this thing is turning numbers in the range of insanity. Will the one you purchase turn 204 on every dyno? NO. But has any other production sled ever turned anywhere close to 204 on any dyno? NO.
I agree 100%. What a dyno reads out doesn't always translate well to the snow. The good thing with DTR is that it Dynos the majority of the sleds that are on the market. If nothing else this is a good indicator that this sled will produce much more power than anything else on the market. Except the thundercat of course.

And now the 204 hp myth is born! I was that excited with the 163 hp on a prototype. Everyone crapped on me for it. Maybe people should wait till the production sleds hit the snow before getting all hyped but then again Yamaha saw how the 2011 Apex was dynoed at 163 and used that to hype their sled so why not use this prototype to do the same. I predict the 998 turbo will dyno at 180 to 185 and later after a thousand miles and loosened up it will make more. Prototype had 800 miles on it!
Yes and 800 miles for a tight 4-stroke Yamaha is not broke in either,we all have been saying for years now since my 03 rx1 it takes thousands of miles to fully break in a motor,lower end and all,of course the piston rings will seat very quickly when run under pressure,but tight rotating things like cranks and camshafts and counterbalance shafts and skid frames all take some time to break in,so now the question comes up,what will break in be on this completely new from ground up motor be,it is the first engine we have seen with aluminum piston to aluminum cylinder wall parts,for better thermal consistency,so what rpm or speed do they need this beast at during first 100 mile breakin,and after that till 500 mile,i wonder how they broke in there mule sleds we seen running 120 mph with dealers on them?

Yes and 800 miles for a tight 4-stroke Yamaha is not broke in either,we all have been saying for years now since my 03 rx1 it takes thousands of miles to fully break in a motor,lower end and all,of course the piston rings will seat very quickly when run under pressure,but tight rotating things like cranks and camshafts and counterbalance shafts and skid frames all take some time to break in,so now the question comes up,what will break in be on this completely new from ground up motor be,it is the first engine we have seen with aluminum piston to aluminum cylinder wall parts,for better thermal consistency,so what rpm or speed do they need this beast at during first 100 mile breakin,and after that till 500 mile,i wonder how they broke in there mule sleds we seen running 120 mph with dealers on them?
Its still Nikasil coated cylinders. Nothing new there. I agree though 800mi motor/chassis/Clutching is not totally broke in yet.

I agree 100%. What a dyno reads out doesn't always translate well to the snow. The good thing with DTR is that it Dynos the majority of the sleds that are on the market. If nothing else this is a good indicator that this sled will produce much more power than anything else on the market. Except the thundercat of course.
Well you must be a thunder lover,lol same motor and hp what will be interesting between the two will be clutching,now generally Yamaha has spot on clutching for there stockers,and cat does not,at least not any cats I have had,including my 13 turdbo kitty,primary clutch froze up in the first 200 miles,than all the belt issues,but most of them had nothing to do really with clutching or belt material,but design issues,mainly TCL set up and piss poor C to C and offset alignments and it floated all over the place,until you paid a grand for an aftermarket removal set up,and took out the TCL.

Its still Nikasil coated cylinders. Nothing new there. I agree though 800mi motor/chassis/Clutching is not totally broke in yet.
Yes they said that but what I thought was odd was they said this was the first time they had same material as piston,to hold better temps,so they made it sound like it may be easier to break in,and no more long idle time to cool down the turbo,in fact they said none needed at all,just stop and shut it down,after seeing how stout this new motor is,they planned this out very well just for a boosted application,chaincase and all the driveline componnents,hell they even went as far as to turn the engine around,so there turbo was on opposite side to keep high turbo temps from belt area and they have fresh air coming directly at the front intake not a wonder this motor can make some nice power,i don't think there will be any problem boosting this puppy way up,may need a new compressor,but that's about it,for 275 to 300 area.

Sigh!

Back