• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are these the real dyno results?

Keep in mind that they are claiming officially 180 or so horsepower and they have also been very upfront saying that it is a PRE PRODUCTION model. It could have a very aggressive map in the ECU right now while people are testing it. That being said, having a third party dyno test this model and getting 204HP out tot he public now is great marketing. It is much like how the it was widely reported that the APEX is 160 Hp but that was one on a dyno once. More like 150 in real life. People will still tell you 160+.

I agree completely except they haven't said 180 hp besides 180 hp "class". That leaves the door open. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that supposed top speeds or hp is down on production models. On the other hand, first year sleds could be rockets compared to the 2nd year. Any cheerleading that this motor, chaincase, hp and speed along with dead nuts reliable is only pure speculation and hype. I hope it's all it should be. I'll wait a year before jumping the gun and see how cheaply these can be tuned to at least 250 hp...though it's tempting.

I was told 193 hp on dyno from a Yamaha rep..i think you would need more than pump gas for higher numbers

At the end of the day these are dynotech numbers and from what I've seen over the last few years dynotech is the industry standard for hp numbers.

I do realize this is preproduction but I'd be surprised to see Yamaha change to much in regards to the engine and electronics.

This sounds wonderful. Kinda surprised it didn't get the SRX name, seeing its the top dawg now! I can not wait until next year!!!

In the article it said it was continuously reading 116 mph. They never said what Sidewinder model it was, however? I guess I am assuming an RTX model?

Arguing Dyno hp from a pre production is dangerous. People still up in arms about the 163hp Apex or the Hurricane 180ish.

180 is probably quite realistic on a post production model. Although like all 4 strokes give em some miles they loosen up and hp numbers climb. So maybe a 163hp Apex is not to far from reality or a 190 turbo.

At first I just wanted a 150 hp plus 4-stroke in a newer than mine chassis. Poo & Doo failed to deliver MY criteria for me. So wether it's 180, 190 or 195 these teeth are going to be shining a lot. Now with this 204 hp talk my balls have swollen a bit. NOW i just want to pull up to a crowd & people look away with their tail between their legs. I won't HAVE to race anyone cuz they KNOW what i got! It will save gas...now i have to go to the dentist to get these teeth cleaned

At first I just wanted a 150 hp plus 4-stroke in a newer than mine chassis. Poo & Doo failed to deliver MY criteria for me. So wether it's 180, 190 or 195 these teeth are going to be shining a lot. Now with this 204 hp talk my balls have swollen a bit. NOW i just want to pull up to a crowd & people look away with their tail between their legs. I won't HAVE to race anyone cuz they KNOW what i got! It will save gas...now i have to go to the dentist to get these teeth cleaned
There will be plenty of sidewinders out there to race. My group is up to 4 people ordering.

I think the biggest thing to take away from this is, believe that these are stock hp numbers or not, is that it is CAPABLE of these numbers.

Everybody HP will be based on fuel in sled 87 octane you got 180hp, 94 octane then you might see 204 on dyno. Octane will determine Hp!

As mentioned.... the prototype Apex that I was able to ride in 2005 had so much power because they were trying fuel maps to get the most power yet still get great fuel economy because that was what was winning the war back then....fuel mileage. Trust me, on the lake we ran it next to my RX1 with nitrous and my RX1 on nitrous beat it....but not by much.

I am going to say that Yamaha will back off hpr to about 190-195 for the production sleds. It's because of safety reasons and lawsuits. Can you hear all the whining already from other brand loyals out there "OMG! It's rated a 180 class sled but yet dynoed 204...this ain't fair....Boo Hoo hoo!"

I wonder how long before the insurance companies catch on, mine (Farmers/Foremost) STILL goes off CC displacement. I just checked for a leftover Viper and it was more expensive then a new Apex, both were over double what a new phazer would check out at. Talking to a few fellow 4 strokers of other colors its the same with their insurance companies also, the Doo 1200 and even Ace 900's are paying more than the 800 etec.

Back