• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are these the real dyno results?

Correct and shows Insurance are loaded and they don't care as long as we keep paying. Just went through this as I was changing insurance and got 5-6 quotes. Without fail the ones who asked about CC were out to lunch. One even commented on why my wife's was ridding the faster 1050cc sled compared to my little 998cc Apex.

You would think after more than a decade of 4 strokes they would of all adjusted by now. But this is a good thing for this Turbo Sidewinder owners. Just a little 998cc...

At the end of the day these are dynotech numbers and from what I've seen over the last few years dynotech is the industry standard for hp numbers.

I do realize this is preproduction but I'd be surprised to see Yamaha change to much in regards to the engine and electronics.
Dynotech is like most independent dyno Co. they all set up there dyno's to run a cold pass,and that is generally there highest pass,which is most likely the 204 we saw,than once heat soaked you will be down some,but this motor has all sorts of coolant protection,with oil sprayer directly into the bottom of each piston,and was designed from the ground up,for high HP numbers,and a turbo,so my hesss is that once heat soaked you may be down into the 190's that is still some awesome numbers,and a lot of your dyno Co;s also run Sunoco 94 or 93 and above octane,if they got this number on normal 91 and a warm engine,WOW,what a beast it will be,but either way,it is still the most HP and torque stock motor to date from any manufacturer, period!!

As mentioned.... the prototype Apex that I was able to ride in 2005 had so much power because they were trying fuel maps to get the most power yet still get great fuel economy because that was what was winning the war back then....fuel mileage. Trust me, on the lake we ran it next to my RX1 with nitrous and my RX1 on nitrous beat it....but not by much.

I am going to say that Yamaha will back off hpr to about 190-195 for the production sleds. It's because of safety reasons and lawsuits. Can you hear all the whining already from other brand loyals out there "OMG! It's rated a 180 class sled but yet dynoed 204...this ain't fair....Boo Hoo hoo!"
Hi brother,you and me know once we run by there semi stock sleds on a snow covered RR bed,by 10 sled lengths they will all be screaming its 204 hp some one told me,even though realistically heat soaked more like 190-195 but at that hp it will be so much more than what anyone else has,or has had in the past,ya I had a 2013 stock cat 1100 turd for about 12 miles,than I got a TD stage 4 tune and muffler to make it feel like a real 180 hp sled on map 1 210 hp claimed,it never went that great,and blew belts like you were making popcorn,than chaincase and finally motor,Wow I really wanted to torch that bad boy,but I have a wife who talks me in to reason every now and than lol. Glad its gone,went back to apex and nnever had one problem in 2015,just gas and go.

Everybody HP will be based on fuel in sled 87 octane you got 180hp, 94 octane then you might see 204 on dyno. Octane will determine Hp!
Octane will be a factor,but I don't believe you will ever see 180 hp on 87 and I don't think Yamaha will ever want you to run any grade less than 91 just my opinion,but I have a 15 ape xtx and it calls for 91 and that is only 150's hp.

Dynotech is like most independent dyno Co. they all set up there dyno's to run a cold pass,and that is generally there highest pass,which is most likely the 204 we saw,than once heat soaked you will be down some,but this motor has all sorts of coolant protection,with oil sprayer directly into the bottom of each piston,and was designed from the ground up,for high HP numbers,and a turbo,so my hesss is that once heat soaked you may be down into the 190's that is still some awesome numbers,and a lot of your dyno Co;s also run Sunoco 94 or 93 and above octane,if they got this number on normal 91 and a warm engine,WOW,what a beast it will be,but either way,it is still the most HP and torque stock motor to date from any manufacturer, period!!

The fuel used: 91.1 R+M/2 octane and 0% ethanol

The entire article is on dyno techs website.

The fuel used: 91.1 R+M/2 octane and 0% ethanol

The entire article is on dyno techs website.
Thanks for that info,that is great HP for 91 octane,was it a cold pass,or warmed up to operating temps??

And now the 204 hp myth is born! I was that excited with the 163 hp on a prototype. Everyone crapped on me for it. Maybe people should wait till the production sleds hit the snow before getting all hyped but then again Yamaha saw how the 2011 Apex was dynoed at 163 and used that to hype their sled so why not use this prototype to do the same. I predict the 998 turbo will dyno at 180 to 185 and later after a thousand miles and loosened up it will make more. Prototype had 800 miles on it!

And now the 204 hp myth is born! I was that excited with the 163 hp on a prototype. Everyone crapped on me for it. Maybe people should wait till the production sleds hit the snow before getting all hyped but then again Yamaha saw how the 2011 Apex was dynoed at 163 and used that to hype their sled so why not use this prototype to do the same. I predict the 998 turbo will dyno at 180 to 185 and later after a thousand miles and loosened up it will make more. Prototype had 800 miles on it!

Lol myth

We also have seen exaggerated claims on horsepower from the other manufacturers in the past, so these need to be taken with a grain of salt until production machines are in the wild. Remember Ski-Doo's claimed independent dyno of the 800 etec making 163.9 HP, then this spring they release the 850 claiming 165hp with a 10hp increase over the 800. Not sure who dyno'd the 800 at 163.9 though

In the article it said it was continuously reading 116 mph. They never said what Sidewinder model it was, however? I guess I am assuming an RTX model?
No all the models that developed the best top speeds were all LTX's 137's the attack angle for the longer track gives better top speed,i had to find out the hard way,i was always a short tyrack guy all olde apexs were 212 and my 13 procross turbo was 129,than in 15 I traded for an ape xtx 144 and wham,my dealer was correct,as he is in caribou,and most all of there miles are WFO RR bed racing,he said every xtx he sold last couple years just drive by the 128's and he was right,all the short 121 my boys have feel like the anchor is out I go by so fast,and keep on pulling away,i don't think the newer valved shorties in 128 are as slow compared to none valved PS sleds,but he said they were still 2-3 mph slower.

Yamaha is advertising the 204 hp which I've never seen them do with the 1 freak Apex that dynoed over 160. I think we can expect this to be a production number.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 193
Yamaha is advertising the 204 hp which I've never seen them do with the 1 freak Apex that dynoed over 160. I think we can expect this to be a production number.

I read the whole Dyno report. The motor was warmed up and the air was 70F, these are not corrected numbers. They tried to run it using there Chiller system but the sensor was too slow to compensate so it was running lean and not producing as much power (Lean does not equal more power on 4strokes).

Dynotech Jim basically said that once this motor runs in colder temps it should produce more power than 204 in normal snow temps. He also showed boost - at lower RPM's it was only 8lbs - and it was making 25% more torque (125 ish vs 98ish) and about 25 hp more than the Suzuki at 6,600 RPM. at high RPM it was 10lbs, and it made about 32 HP more than the Suzuki and about 5-6 lbs more torque. Peak HP of the Suzuki was at about 7,700 the Sidewinder about 8,700. The Sidewinder has a very broad powerband.

I got these numbers from comparing Jim's dyno of the Sidewinder compared to the Suzuki Turbo that he dynoed for this years Snowshoot. It's peak was 172 Hp and 118 lbs of torque on the same Dyno, vs 204 and 123-124ish for the Sidewinder.

The sidewinder is an animal. The only way Yammy can really tune this thing down is to reduce boost, taking away fuel doesn't do much. But at 8lbs at low RPM and 10lbs at High this motor is tuned very mild, i really can't see them doing that and should be relatively easy to crank it up.

As it Revs higher and is less prone to Detonation due to the smaller cyclinders - Dyno Jim reckons that where the Suzuki is good for about 250 on Pump, the Sidewinder has the potential to run 275-300 with the right tune. Just imagine the torque on the trail at 16psi (Double Stock) at low (6,600 RPMs) - it could be in the 160-170 range.

I just got back from Northern Ontario with a buddy who has a TurboDynamics 250Hp sled - it was an animal - 129 mph on a packed trail in a field.

I'm looking forward to next winter and placed my order today (For a Thundercat though - no good Yammy dealers around me.)

Go to Dynotech Research and pay for the subscription if you are considering buying one - lots of great info for gearheads.

Yamaha advertised the 2011 Apex at 163 as the independent dyno showed. Everyone cheered then the production came in at just over 150 but bright side is Hurricane is showing 160 plus with a broke in Motor.

Going to be a lot of disappointed people is the production model does not dyno 204. If people want to believe 204 then believe it but I've seen this game before. 180 185 production, 190 plus broken in.

Yamaha advertised the 2011 Apex at 163 as the independent dyno showed. Everyone cheered then the production came in at just over 150 but bright side is Hurricane is showing 160 plus with a broke in Motor.

Going to be a lot of disappointed people is the production model does not dyno 204. If people want to believe 204 then believe it but I've seen this game before. 180 185 production, 190 plus broken in.
Can you send me a link to yamaha advertising 163? I'm not calling you a liar I just don't ever remember seeing one

Can you send me a link to yamaha advertising 163? I'm not calling you a liar I just don't ever remember seeing one
You call it one freak Apex that dynoed over 160 yet so far we have one freak Sidewinder that dynoed over 200. Missing the whole point, pre production and post can be two different sleds. Dyno tech dynoed the Apex. Chis said 5% ( I think it was claimed 8 hp) over previous year which made 152. Which was up from the RX at 140 to 145 but on some dynos was only 135hp. Production 2011 was Dynoed at 151 making the 10 Apex less then 145. So Dyno testing is not a good indicator for so many reasons. Pre and post production can differ as can one dyno to the next and on top of all that new tight motor or loose broke in.

The new 998 can come in all over the place but nowhere have I seen Yamaha claim 204 on the 998 turbo. Cat is claiming 180hp.

Back