• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Arrow skis verses Simmons pictures

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the Simmons can handle some aggressive corner to corner riding!!!

BETHEVIPER said:
simmons work better the faster you go, the slower you go is when they start steering harder.

Before i modified them to use the skidoo carbides they turned even harder. I installed the skidoo carbides centered under the spindle. stock they come with the carbide trailing the spindle which adds straight line stability (they dont need any extra) but also adds to steering effort. This modification makes the ski safer and steer easier.

the Arrows turn easy at slow speeds.

Weight
Arrow 7lbs 11.8oz
simmons 8lbs 9.5 oz
curves 8lbs 12 oz
percision 8lbs

recieved my sly dog mountain skis today. wow are they light. bigger than all the above skis, but weighed 6lbs. 8oz.

they have some great features like carbide tucked in the front, though the ones that came with them were just like the C+A and Curves. the ski is very flat, has a nice tip design and the lightest mounting of ski tip of any ski out ther i have seen.
i can tell by the design of the ski that it will turn hard, very flat straight bottom. ill make up a set of keel spacers and get some carbides that tuck up in to work with them. ill try them both ways.
another great feature, like the simmons and arrows, there is no pockets for ice and snow to build up in, or water when you wash the sled.

ill get some pictures up later in the week of these skis.

in the end, i bet i will like them over the simmons for ease of stearing, they are wider so im sure they will foat better. if i end up using these, they will have offset duallies on them, either the arctic cat ones or the new ones that have just come out.

When you add your offset runners/carbides BETHEVIPER, do you just drill new holes in the ski to accommodate them?

i have only put them on the aluminum backed viper/rx1 style ski. on those, the aluminum back makes the strength and you just need to drill two new holes. i dont think the stock ski would have the space or strength to take having the extra holes drilled in them that close to the stock hole.
in the case of the saddless ski, i would reweld the studs in the correct place, it is just the ones in back in front.

if your doing this mod, another help is once the old carbide is off, take a wood plane or belt sander and run it down the ski a few times so the flat part of the carbide has a flat ski to set against. skis wear kinda round on the bottom and it is better to have good side support under the carbides.

Betheviper,

You mention offset dual carbides in your December 7 post. I have had good luck with the AC ones, thanks for the info on those earlier, but do you have info on the other ones you mention?

The other version of offset duallies I was talking about were from Qualy pieces. They make and agressive version with square bar and longer carbide. They only make them for Cats though so you would need to do the same mods to make them fit.

Betheviper;

Wondering what you meant by "i can tell by the design of the ski that it will turn hard, very flat straight bottom."? Do you mean they will be an aggressive ski or that they will make steering difficult? I love mine and find the steering effort to be very easy compared with stock - and they even make the VL seem lighter because the skis are not making trenches all the time. Let us know your impressions.

Tks,

I used them last year on the last few rides. I went for broke and added the dartless plates for them first. (they use the same carbide as a C+A and Curve, I knew they would dart) I am not sure if it was the dartless plates or if it is the strong bias these skis have tward the front but they turned easy. I also found that they just wouldn't hold in a corner very good and I have to wonder if that is the wide ski not letting the keel drop in to something harder or if the keel just isn't deep enough on the ski. Either way, not a bad ski(with dartless plates) though I would like to try them with a drop down keel from bergstroms and also find or make a carbide that uses the shield pocket in front to tuck the carbide into.
I loved that these skis stayed clean all day, no snow build up in anything or anywhere, what they weigh(they are the lightest) is what they weigh when your riding. (like it matters on a trail sled)

BETHEVIPER, I just got a set of Arrows in the mail today, nifty looking for sure. Stupid distributor didn't send me any carbides! :o| But I have a line on a set of Studboys tomorrow. They sure do pale in comparison to the C&A Outlaws I have, skinnier and less beefy. I look forward to trying them this weekend.

Regarding your Powderhounds, I had a set of the trail version and they turned very easy as well, but I felt you really had to be aggressive in the corners to get them to bite. For me, they didn't turn out to be a very durable ski, edges curled up on the sides and even poked a hole into one with a rock. My sled cover slips over the skis to the bumper and the cover would end up pulling the skis inward. It really looked silly when I pulled the cover off and the skis were toed in a few inches. If anyone should choose Slydogs, go with the thicker Race version.

has any one moved carbides forward on simmons skies 1.5 inches. just did mine just wating 2 get back to my house in rangeley maine 2 try them out . any info on this will b helpfull

Finally got some riding time on the Kimpex Arrow skis and for anyone looking for skis for groomed trail riding, get these skis...they handle awesome with easy steering to boot.

I was worried that these skis would not bite in the corners like my C&A Outlaws, but I was very surprised that they held the corners awesome, at least on hardpacked trails. These skis do need some added width, as BETHEVIPER noted, for when you get into some fresh snow, but on the trails, they rocked. I've tried a few pairs on my Nytro now and these are at the top of my list.

I've done a couple of suspension mods to help reduce ski lift also which certainly helps as well. I've pulled down my rear limiter strap on hole and mounted my swaybar in the forward hole on the lower A arm. For those experiencing ski lift, do it.

Anyhoo, here is my list for best skis on my Nytro that I have tried so far:

#1 Kimpex Arrows - easy turning, great bite, but narrow profile = poor in powder
#2 C&A Outlaws - great bite, wide profile for powder, but hard to steer on trails
#3 Slydog Trails - easy turning, wide profile for powder, mediocre bite, flimsy
#4 Skidoo 6.9 Pilots - semi easy steering, push in corners, wide profile but still not good in powder.

Keep in mind, most of my riding is done on hard packed, icy trails, not powder riding, but I would still prefer a wider Kimpex Arrow ski.

Back