• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

As far as tunes go

Todd Beenen

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 T-Cat
TD, Hurricane,Precision, multi-map or single stage flash, who’s using what?looking for input , customer service ,ease of use(as far as changing tunes).

Pick one say 270 on pump gas use throttle for control, no switching, no which one am I on, and no disconnecting all the time from bumps. Search ty, this is just what I use, use to have the older style with switch, really didn’t need tunes 20 hp different, now I phone etc. I like to keep simple and ride.

Last edited:
They all have their tunes nailed down for the 998. You will be equally as happy no matter who you pick. You need to decide if you feel you'll be changing tunes often because if youll mostly be running one tune then theres no need for multimap. Multimap is the most value for the money but if you rarely change tune its more money for nothing. I have a single tune and never had the desire to change while riding. If I ever got questionable gas quality I would simply avoid pushing the sled real hard. The larger tune with some throttle control is gonna be just as strong as the next tune down so same results imo.

They all have their tunes nailed down for the 998. You will be equally as happy no matter who you pick. You need to decide if you feel you'll be changing tunes often because if youll mostly be running one tune then theres no need for multimap. Multimap is the most value for the money but if you rarely change tune its more money for nothing. I have a single tune and never had the desire to change while riding. If I ever got questionable gas quality I would simply avoid pushing the sled real hard. The larger tune with some throttle control is gonna be just as strong as the next tune down so same results imo.
. I’m sort of leaning towards a single tune ,then I can clutch it for that tune , like you guys said.

All 3 tuners you mentioned are amazing at what they do!! You can't go wrong with any of them!!!
I have all the hurricane maps up to 300hp! Only one I haven't tried yet would be stock muffler /header combo

Stock muffler 226 240 270
PERFORMANCE muffler 240 270 300
PERFORMANCE muffler with header 240 270 300
(Standard and ss tunes)

Having multiple maps is a fun option you really get a feel for the power difference.

My big header tune is a freeken animal when you squeeze the trigger

The majority of the time I run 270 but every chance I have to get 94 octane I run the 300 tune

Last edited:
Agree with justinator. Single tune for me. I'm very picky on clutching and want it spot on. Don't want to change to different tune and have it be off one way or the other. IF I get some bad gas, just back off on throttle.

I will counter others opinion here, although I am in the process of setting up my winder still I will be going with a multi-map from TD. The sled came with powertrail and they are offering an upgrade to the multi-map for fairly cheap. I will set clutching up for the 270HP tune where I plan to run most of the time. Unfortunately, unlike others here I have little to no self control on the happy flipper so I will keep the changeable tunes so if I do get bad gas I can back off the tune and still use the happy flipper. I can't really imagine I would have the self control to hold the sled back for an entire tank of gas.

Ok. With that being said , how bout the secondary, how many are just leaving it stock or going with like a RW torsional setup?i think once I dive into this stuff I’m going with a TAPP primary and Pro-4 secondary, I did a billet STM secondary on my 14 xf and never gave me a bit of trouble .

I have single tune on mine. I don't need a lot of extra stuff and I want the clutching optimized and dynoed on one power level. If I get bad gas I carry a little Torco and problem solved. The switching, iphones, BT, all that jazz just takes the fun out of it for me, I want to turn the key and go, I want zero tuning time when the snow flies. If I can just get mine to hold together I think it will be a fun sled.

I will counter others opinion here, although I am in the process of setting up my winder still I will be going with a multi-map from TD. The sled came with powertrail and they are offering an upgrade to the multi-map for fairly cheap. I will set clutching up for the 270HP tune where I plan to run most of the time. Unfortunately, unlike others here I have little to no self control on the happy flipper so I will keep the changeable tunes so if I do get bad gas I can back off the tune and still use the happy flipper. I can't really imagine I would have the self control to hold the sled back for an entire tank of gas.
and that’s what’s nice about the options , different strokes for different 4 folks. ( get it?)

. I’m sort of leaning towards a single tune ,then I can clutch it for that tune , like you guys said.
exactly, some guys with multimap clutch for the biggest tune and when they go to smaller tune they are now under revving. I run maxspool 16 and have my clutching dialed in perfectly for it. It runs consistently all the time. If you go single tune, think long and hard if your gonna want more power down the road. I ran ecotrail stock muffler at first and a month later I upgraded to maxspool 16. Wish I would of just went max 16 to begin with. The beauty of all the tuners mentioned above is any of these pump gas tunes are unbelievably docile until provoked. I can ride all afternoon with my 2 up seat attached and my 8 year old on the back enjoying scenery and later that day carry the skis in the air till I decide to put them down. Point is, dont feel like a larger tune is harder to ride or you wont ever need it. They only come alive when asked.

This self-quarantine is gonna cost me a bunch of money in the end hanging around with you guys

This, so much. I am going to have at minimum 2K more into the sled beyond what it cost initially before I have even 10 miles on it... Except for me it was work said work from home now and Evers shut down Wisconsin so there is not much to do but work on cars and sleds.

Back