• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attention!!!Major Fuel System Problem!!!

synaptic3e

Extreme
Country
USA
I paid a lot of money for this sled! I swore I would never buy new, let alone a first generation. It's an LTX-DX 137

(Scroll to last paragraph to skip the back story and see the problem )

I'm in Pittsburg NH for the weekend. I have just over 200 easy break in miles on the sled.

Last night at approximately 11pm we were on a night ride. I was traveling at about 50mph and suddenly got a fuel smell in my helmet. I immediately backed out of the throttle and came to a controlled stop. By the time I came to a stop white smoke was pouring out the sides and up through the cowl. I shut her down as I was coming to a stop. Luckily we were only 10 miles from the warming hut where we could leave the sled and come back for it....had to tow it with my buddy's skidoo!

I had to ride bitch on a two up! Because my 15k sled which does not even have the engine broken in is pissing fuel everywhere!

The fuel was all over the side of the engine, disc brake, running board, clutch and belt, my boot, my snow pants.

It was 9* out so we opted to tow it rather than work on it trail side since we were within 10 miles of the warming hut where we could leave it.

It took us over an hour to get back riding two up. I was frozen by the time we got back. Then we had to grab the truck and crawl to the warming hut due to snow conditions. Next we had to muscle the sled into the trailer. We got home at 2:30am!

This morning I was able to asses the situation. The fuel rail has two bolts holding it. The one on the left side (clutch side) was backed out all the way! I mean all the way, not even one thread holding it. The fuel rail was popped off the fuel injector. Fuel was everywhere. I popped the rail back on and installed the bolt and checked the other one. It was not tight, not loose but not tight. I then checked the system again by turning the key to pressurize it, fuel squirting all over the engine. So I'm guessing the O-ring is bad. At this point we buttoned it up and pulled out the spare sled 07 Apex GT.

Check those fuel rail bolts!!!!

What's going on with all the loose bolts on this sled?. That ridiculous. Where is quality control.

What's going on with all the loose bolts on this sled?. That ridiculous. Where is quality control.
I agree!! Especially the price here in Canada $21000.00 for an xtx ...have been thinking about trading my nytro for one ... but after reading all these posts i have come to the conclusion that there is just to much cat in the new Yamaha's for me!

I know I have been planning on there 50th anniversary for a few years now. Even sold the viper and riding my 13 year old son's 2001 sxr 500 this season to wait. With all the crap going on I'm scared to drop $20 000 on a LE model. Hopefully this is not common. I would like to know if cats have the same issues.

Sorry this had to happen to you..One more thing I will mention to the dealership while its in getting serviced.

Haven't got your sled back?
No they are a busy dealership... I'm also having them do a 300 mile service on it and my Viper while it's there, I told them when I dropped them off if they could have them back by the following weekend I'd be happy.

First I've heard of this... But we'll keep an eye on the fuel rail and fpr bolts...

Good Lord thanks for the heads up. I would say you were pretty damn lucky.
Yes, I have no doubt that if I shut her down even 10-15 seconds later ... It would have burned to the ground. The fuel was sizzling on the motor! I was even more pissed when I realized it was all over my boot and my snow suit ...

image.jpeg
Can anyone snap a picture of which bolts he's talking about?

Here you go, I took pics when I found the problem. Just had spotty wifi up here...

The two philips head screws on the rail are very easy to get at with the hood off

Both of my screws where tight.

Attachments

• IMG_5467.JPG
    IMG_5467.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 198

Back