• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

back in the game - 2016 Viper 162

karl

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Phazer XTX
was around this board for a few years, over on the Venture Lite - MP forum. did quit a bit of custom work on my MP.... retracked to 159x16x2 and set it up with phazer plastics. haven't been sledding much since then other than grooming our ski trails with a Skandic super wide track.

just bought a lightly used 2016 162 with 800km (500miles) on the meter. I'm just short of 70 years old so will likely not be using the sled to its potential. loading it on the trailer and a short little ditch session tells me that I will want to dial the clutch back a bit to get smoother engagement. this will be an off trail flat land rig. our snow in Yukon never sets up so a big track and big skis are a must. will be running the sled from around 2000 above sea level to around 4000 above sea level.

anyway... not a big poster, but I'll be around looking for advice.

Barn of parts as a ‘soft start’ spring that reduces the engagement rpm and more importantly smooths it out considerably. I did this on a previous sled and was a notable improvement from the sudden jerky engagement. Barn of Parts is a site supporter and great Yamaha resource I recommend you call and talk to Travis he will take care of you this and in fact all your part needs

Welcome back Karl. Back when I bought my MP I think I read all of your old posts and I've always kept an eye out for your sled.

I still have my MP and got a 2020 VK Pro last year. I'm out in Tagish.

Welcome back Karl. Back when I bought my MP I think I read all of your old posts and I've always kept an eye out for your sled.

I still have my MP and got a 2020 VK Pro last year. I'm out in Tagish.

that MP to Phaze was a fun project..... I think it went north when I sold it. sure hope we keep getting more snow, we are off to a good start.

Barn of parts as a ‘soft start’ spring that reduces the engagement rpm and more importantly smooths it out considerably. I did this on a previous sled and was a notable improvement from the sudden jerky engagement. Barn of Parts is a site supporter and great Yamaha resource I recommend you call and talk to Travis he will take care of you this and in fact all your part needs

thanks yamadoo

got out for my first ride on the new to me 162. what a nice motor but I sure don't like the thumb throttle, seems to large or something.
nov 23 20 - Copy.jpg

Ya it took me some time to get used to the throttle lever on me me. Got it better by repositioning the throttle block. Barn of parts has a conversion kit to put a Yamaha style throttle lever on if ya really can’t get used to it.

Ya it took me some time to get used to the throttle lever on me me. Got it better by repositioning the throttle block. Barn of parts has a conversion kit to put a Yamaha style throttle lever on if ya really can’t get used to it.

OUCH! that barn of parts Japan throttle kit is pricey $120usd ( $157 cad ). I think I'll get used to the one I've got.

Just got a Four Stroke Solutions ROV.... nicely made kit. Had one on my 2007 MP.... I had a habit of rolling over and filling the air box with oil

finished installing the Four Stroke Solutions ROV kit. I've gotta say, Bill puts together a very nice kit that is truly "plug and play". From the kit itself with great documentation to his web site installation photos, makes this a walk in the park install.

just a little up-date.... installed a pair of Slydog Powder hound 8" skis and am very happy with how they track on trail and in unbroken snow. sled is up on the snow sooner and stays there. haven't got a lot of time on them yet and still on a steep learning curve with the sled.

stuff coming in the mail still, comfort clutch kit from Schmidt Brothers Motor Sports to get the primary clutch more to my liking. And a finger throttle and guard from Munster.

Heated munster? Let us know how you like it, i come from riding standup jetskis with trigger throttles. Less chance of whiskey throttle with triggers vs the thumb paddles IMO.

Heated munster? Let us know how you like it, i come from riding standup jetskis with trigger throttles. Less chance of whiskey throttle with triggers vs the thumb paddles IMO.

yes the Munster is heated, only on the high setting according to the install info. I spend about 4 hours a week grooming ski trails on a Skandic Super Wide Track with the throttle rolled on the bars to work like a finger throttle and really like that setup.

Back