• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Backfire on deceleration

Firstyama

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Viper LTX LE
Anyone’s viper ever backfire on deceleration? Doesn’t do it all the time, just occasionally, usually after I was just running pretty hard. Anything to worry about? Bone stock 17 Ltx

Also, rode with a Cat XF7000 and his did the same thing but not as much, also stock

Mine has also the odd time

My sled used to but after reflash fueling was a little more accurate. A tip is to not completely chop off the throttle. If you try to keep it open even 5% it eliminates the ultra lean 19-20 AFR and the backfire that accompanies it.

From my own experience... May differ with other sleds/tunes

Ok thanks, just worried there was a problem

The sleds that I have seen do this have all had cracked header pipes. Might want to check that.

I live by having an AFR gauge. This would show you if it was in fact a lean condition, if the sensor is properly installed....... I personally wouldn't be concerned but it never hurts to "nut and bolt check" your sled at least once a season.

Yea I over corrected the lean spot the new flash gave me but still better mpg than all the guys I ride with except Phazer. Had alot of backfires before I did this. Non since but it never hurt anything just keep eye on header and if 14,15 the stock can which is known to crack open. First sign is a rattle and the insulation being blown out of shield covering it.

Yea I over corrected the lean spot the new flash gave me but still better mpg than all the guys I ride with except Phazer. Had alot of backfires before I did this. Non since but it never hurt anything just keep eye on header and if 14,15 the stock can which is known to crack open. First sign is a rattle and the insulation being blown out of shield covering it.
How did you correct it? By adding a little bit of fuel at 0 and 2% of throttle between 1500 and 3000 rpm?

Sent from my Galaxy S7

How did you correct it? By adding a little bit of fuel at 0 and 2% of throttle between 1500 and 3000 rpm?

Sent from my Galaxy S7
No I cheated and just used the pod 300 to richen the mid range. 6% is what I show. But I also changed mapping previously. I need to get it all in map. Is just so easy on Pod though.
DSC00912.JPG

I had back firing last year with my straightline header gasket until I replaced it this year with a new stock gasket. You could see where it was leaking. Small leak will cause the back firing!

Back