• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad Starter question

Both my 14 and 15 lost their starters. My 15 sounded bad from day one, with a grinding sound and when the motor would kick back it sounded like the starter would take a lot of abuse. The 14 was pretty much the same, just a real shitty sounding starter. Now both are changed and they sound way different, like there is a starter clutch. When the motor kicks or misses when cranking them over now, it sounds like the starter disengages and then re-engages nice and smooth. So what has changed ? Why do the sound so different ?

That is interesting, a guess would be a bad run of parts but that is only a guess.

My starter went at 800 miles . Engine kicked on start up when warm. Have not blown a belt yet.

Lost my starter at 9200 kms, worst part was loosing almost 2 weeks of riding because of it. I was told there was a back order on parts, seems to be a common problem.

Must be the engine back firing hurting the starter. As this the first time I see so many starters falling on this popular engine. The company that did the ignition for yamacat should be bought for cheap and shut down.

Second start after broken belt starter went broke and im sure that that engine back firing is the reason these broken starters. I know only 5 viper owners and 4 broken starters....

700 km on my 2015 xtx le and starter went, Just made a zinging sound a couple of times. Took it in on Thursday and rode it out on Friday. No blown belts.

Back