• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad Starter question

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
Just curious, how many of you that had the starter go bad, blew a belt at sometime before the starter went?

Interesting train of thought.

I know of Polaris guys that knocked the crankshaft out of phase with a blown belt, and although the Yamaha is built much better I wondered if those two gears that contact full time could be damaged with a severe backfire or blown belt. I ask this because the 8jp has seen many more blown belts than the Nytro did with the 8dn. But then this could be a stupid idea and have nothing to do with it.

I haven't blown a belt yet with the viper yet (knock on wood) but what gears get knocked out of sync?

Crazy stuff happens at speed. I had issues spinning water pump impellers on my truck when shifts dropped the RPM's quickly. Impeller just kept on going and no belt to slip...

Last edited:
My 2014 had the starter go without blowing a belt. It used to kick back while starting sometimes. Both my 2015's do the same thing so I am sure it is just a matter of time until they go as well.

My thoughts are on the ignition/dwell timing, if you are getting kick back its either you are out of time or detonation. Has anyone looked at the timing side by side with the Nytro?

that's what im thinking as well, my 2014 LTX DX turns over funny cold or hot, not every time but maybe 1 out of every 5 starts, like a timing issue. and it idles like a hot rod with a cam? I have not called the dealer yet as we have great riding and don't want to tie the sled up.

My guess is hydrolock. A little oil makes its way to top of piston that was all the way down. Through the rings. Piston is forced up but can't complete cycle because oil is in cylinder. Is one reason I never run my engine oil over the halfway point in tank. Eventually it will equalize between tank and engine. If when that happens the level in engine is over the rings of piston. Hydrolock. It would be interesting to see the rod bearings of one that starter failed. If this becomes a big issue a real starter clutch could be employed.

My guess is hydrolock. A little oil makes its way to top of piston that was all the way down. Through the rings. Piston is forced up but can't complete cycle because oil is in cylinder. Is one reason I never run my engine oil over the halfway point in tank. Eventually it will equalize between tank and engine. If when that happens the level in engine is over the rings of piston. Hydrolock. It would be interesting to see the rod bearings of one that starter failed. If this becomes a big issue a real starter clutch could be employed.

That would make a heck of a smoke bomb which we are not seeing.

A leaky valve seal/worn valve guide dripping would make a puff. Oil on top of a piston in volumes capable of a hydrolock would put out a smoke bomb if it even fired the plug before fouling it.

Well I have blown 5 belts and have had no starter issues as a matter of fact that is the only issue I have not had:dunno:

Both my 14 and 15 lost their starters. My 15 sounded bad from day one, with a grinding sound and when the motor would kick back it sounded like the starter would take a lot of abuse. The 14 was pretty much the same, just a real shitty sounding starter. Now both are changed and they sound way different, like there is a starter clutch. When the motor kicks or misses when cranking them over now, it sounds like the starter disengages and then re-engages nice and smooth. So what has changed ? Why do the sound so different ?

Back