• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Marginal Wheel Kits...Feeback Needed

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Been working on some marginal wheel kits as some skids have areas prone to heavier wear. The kit will work with 2.75" wheels or 4.25" wheels. In addition I have it designed so it will work in areas of rail with large cut outs so it should be a very versatile kit that works in may spots on the rail. Hardware arrived this morning so hope to finalize that. In the process of determining recommend locations for them to be installed so I can verify clearance with arms during suspension bottom out.

I could use some feedback and photos from you guys with wear your heavy wear areas are. So far I have the following:

14-18 129" skid at front bend of rail
19+ 146" skid between bump stop and rear axle
14-18 xtx 141 skid at front bend of rail

marginal 4.25.jpg
marginal 2.jpg
Marginal 1.jpg

Been working on some marginal wheel kits as some skids have areas prone to heavier wear. The kit will work with 2.75" wheels or 4.25" wheels. In addition I have it designed so it will work in areas of rail with large cut outs so it should be a very versatile kit that works in may spots on the rail. Hardware arrived this morning so hope to finalize that. In the process of determining recommend locations for them to be installed so I can verify clearance with arms during suspension bottom out.

I could use some feedback and photos from you guys with wear your heavy wear areas are. So far I have the following:

14-18 129" skid at front bend of rail
19+ 146" skid between bump stop and rear axle
14-18 xtx 141 skid at front bend of rail

View attachment 174511View attachment 174512View attachment 174513
Will this work with the 137

I am sure you have already considered this, but will they be inboard/outboard in comparison to the stock wheel mounts? Like you mentioned, when the suspension is collapsed, they is potential for contact. I mounted an additional set of wheels towards the rear of the skid last season. Luckily with stock idler wheels, they barely missed the upper wheels when suspension bottomed out. However when using the HD wheels you have available, there would be contact for sure. Perhaps keeping the mounts more inboard would mitigate that risk when using HD wheels?

Brent

I love idea of these for front. I was gonna mess with an old set of small wheels my dad had to help keep the track off the center shock cross shaft too!

Vespel sliders and be done with that.
Have them. Mine wore the inserts out at the bend of the rail just in front of the outside wheel, the rest of slider looks good.

Have them. Mine wore the inserts out at the bend of the rail just in front of the outside wheel, the rest of slider looks good.
Yeah, it's a big issue w 137.
Even w stock limiter strap position, tight track.
May not all be happening on throttle - on throttle hard, front drive should be making for light pressure there. However, on brakes hard, there would be lots of friction there. IDK. I was thinking an added set of wheels there would eliminate/reduce problem.

Mine looks great at the bend. Were I find the worst wear is at the very rear of the suspension where there is no vessel which is just stupid.

Mine looks great at the bend. Were I find the worst wear is at the very rear of the suspension where there is no vessel which is just stupid.
As you know on the 17 they only have one outside wheel and it is too far back to protect the bend. Thought of pulling the strap up another hole, but that would have it's own issues. I do have it up one hole from the end which I believe is factory. I hope it is like the other Yamahas I've had that wear to a certain point quickly then last for many miles almost wore out. I don't see any other high wear areas on mine.

The only good thing about the expensive dupont hyfax is they don't slow you down on top end like regular hyfax do.
I run the regular hyfax and extra wheels.
Much better.
My track clips last longer and so does my hyfax.

Yeah, it's a big issue w 137.
Even w stock limiter strap position, tight track.
May not all be happening on throttle - on throttle hard, front drive should be making for light pressure there. However, on brakes hard, there would be lots of friction there. IDK. I was thinking an added set of wheels there would eliminate/reduce problem.
Never had any wear on my 137. Funny how some have wear and others don't.

Same with mine, was at a Yamaha dealer and seen the vespel sliders for the mountain sleds, the Vespel would reach the back on the 137” skid compared to the shorter vespel sliders that we normally get for the 137”-144” tracks, thought I’d grab them for when mine wear out till the guy behind the counter said $220 each Canadian

Back