• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery replacement, low voltage fix

Barcode

Expert
Ok, so Ive been reading here about the kickbacks crazy gauge pod readings. etc. all of which have happened to our sleds also. Not consistently but still some instances. From our experience its been from having a weak battery or just a lower than optimal voltage to the electronics. So we decided to go and test this for our selves. I watched a load of youtube vids to get a good handle on what we wanted to try. Long story short this is what we did.
This was our first test weekend. at -20C
We are using
Eaton Supercapacitor Module
http://www.mouser.com/new/eaton/powerstor-cooper-bussmann-xvm-supercapacitors/
Zippy Flightmax Lifepo battery https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-4200mah-4s2p-30c-lifepo4-pack.html
We are using this set up, as we were running EarthX batteries and wanted to keep the weight down. We also have moved our batteries from the back to over the clutches. But that was for another seat project.

But from what we can gather the Supercapacitor Module will worth with a stock battery just as well. The idea is to give all the electronics the full voltage till the sled is started.
Soon as we get back to our testing grounds well post more vids But for now Im totally 100% sold on this idea.

Cheers

Allan

I like that your looking into this.
Videos look promising.
Looking forward to your update and some more details

While id LOVE to take the credit for this and make a kit. Its not worth it. Not when so many "pre" built items are already available. The Eaton Supercapacitor Module is just that. Find a spot on your sled that will fit it run wires back to battery and hook up. Just make sure your running a big enough gauge of wire to handle the power. There are also many Supercapacitors out there and all kinds of balancing circuit boards to choose from. But why bother when the Eaton one works. Maxwell also makes one.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMuDCPMZUZ%2bYl5YCp2WFdMnqy0xWtTS64oU=

On our set up Im still not 100% on the Zippy lifepo as its a lithium battery so thats why were going to continue testing. Failing that if the Zippy doesn't hold up the stock battery will be perfect. The weight can go stuff itself this time to be sure the sleds start every time with out issues.

Nice!! Ive been watching the same youtube stuff. Very cool. Nice find on the Eaton pack. Ill be ordering mine today. What size wire would you recommend?

Nice!! Ive been watching the same youtube stuff. Very cool. Nice find on the Eaton pack. Ill be ordering mine today. What size wire would you recommend?

How small can a guy go? It would be nice if we could hook it up and not have to run another wire all the way to the back.

In both our sleds the wiring not stock. But If I were to run wire from the battery back up to under the hood Id personally use 10 or 8 gauge That should be sufficient enough. Maybe someone thats got a sled at hand could have a closer look and see where the two main leads go that are connected to the battery. They could be just spliced under the hood and connected to the Supercapacitor module. I know theres space on the clutch cover, to mount the module.

This set up is working like a charm!! Not a single hiccup on starting. This weekend the coldest it got was -11c the hobby battery held up just great!!

interested,,,,,,,,,

Maintaining proper voltage to the ECU has already been proven to help the start issues and all this testing is once again reinforcing the fact that the ECU struggles with the starter load on the system. However, adding additional components and wiring to supplement the battery voltage shouldn't be considered a solution to this problem. I myself wouldn't recommend individuals installing these devices due to liability reasons.

The Nytro's did not have a start issue so there is a viable solution to the problem but it would most likely require an expensive ECU and possibly a main wire harness replacement. It's time for Arctic Cat and Yamaha to step up and properly correct the issue before someone causes serious damage to their Viper or themselves. This problem can be corrected but it's going to take more than a simple flash of the ECU that adds a so called "engine kickback control feature".

We all know this already. Yup in a perfect world Cat/Yamaha should have not let this happen. But it has and there not fixing it. As far as I'm concern it is a solution to the problem. A pretty easy one at that. The ECU needs good strong voltage at start up. Well this way its getting it. Simple.
Im not here to argue with anyone. If you don't like what were doing. Thats fine. Were not offended. But keeping up with the belly aching about is is getting pretty old.

Back