• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt blows at 150mph!!!!!! Check out my pics.

I would check the runout on the pto shaft after a nasty failure like that. All of you guys running these big horsepower sleds should have a pro-stock style clutch enclosure!!!!

Glad to see you were not hurt!

All of you guys running these big horsepower sleds should have a pro-stock style clutch enclosure!!!!

I think you are right there!

Ya... I've been running the TEAM 98 since I bought my 03.
I've been running a 54-44 F 54-42 F Black/White spring.
Lake top running, ice, 139 radar with no problems.
The quality of the TEAM clutch is way better than stock.
It's the helix/spring thing that you need to get right.
OTIS

If i had to guess, I would say one of your weights broke in half causing the remaining portion of the weight (heel) to travel past the roller and buring itself into the very outside of the sheave, cracking it and with the belt being shifted out at high speed disaster strikes. the reason I suspect your weight broke is because your weight pin holes are split in half. I have seen it happen on my viper before but not as bad.

BADSLED said:
If i had to guess, I would say one of your weights broke in half causing the remaining portion of the weight (heel) to travel past the roller and buring itself into the very outside of the sheave, cracking it and with the belt being shifted out at high speed disaster strikes. the reason I suspect your weight broke is because your weight pin holes are split in half. I have seen it happen on my viper before but not as bad.

I think you are right. ;)!

Man you need to take those pictures off of here every time I look at them they creape me out thinking about what could have happened. LOL

Working on enclosed clutch covers. They will cover down to center of front and rear clutch bolt. I will post pictures when I have a finished product.

The only clutch I had blow up was 3 years ago on a 10,000 rpm race engine in a Viper chassis with the motor spinning 10,000 rpm. Luckily it happened on a race sled with a good belt guard and the pieces never damaged the hood or myself. It did bend the crank, take out both clutches, bend the jackshaft, bend the bulkhead, put a hole in the heat exchanger, and a million holes in the belly pan as well. The weight broke first and flew out causing all h*** to break loose after that!

Attachments

• ph-10049.jpg
    ph-10049.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 76
  • ph-10050.jpg
    ph-10050.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 84
  • ph-10051.jpg
    ph-10051.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ph-10052.jpg
    ph-10052.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 87
  • ph-10053.jpg
    ph-10053.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 82
  • ph-10058.jpg
    ph-10058.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 84
  • ph-10059.jpg
    ph-10059.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 87
Geez, the speed he was going has nothing to do with it!! The motors RPMs are still within stock RPMs I am sure, or less!! So the clutch speeds are at around 8500 for both at 1 to 1.

However, heavier clutching can cause some more stress and heat on the clutches and belt!!

Sure are lucky all the pieces stayed under the hood!!

Oh man, you guys are lucky!! Puddytatman had the ring gear fly off his 05 MachZ last winter and smash his foot! Ouch!

WOW...thats ugly. Glad your ok...and yes..a better gaurd is a damn good idea with you guys running all that HP!

I just had a stock secondary break on me. All 3 towers and pucks gone! Totaled my helix as well. I was runing Simmons set up. Dealer has the clutch since he ran me a new (used) one out on the trails to get me going again and I had no way to carry the old one back. He said he had never seen that before.

Ted, 150mph vs 130mph, what's the difference? As long as you can stop!!

Nice wagon Ted!
I have a friend who has a Nomad about the same year. 67 or 69? I can't remember what year they brought the Nomad back..but his is that year.
Except his is bone stock & cherry. Cool cars! I always liked the wagons!

Back