• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt blows at 150mph!!!!!! Check out my pics.

150 mph clutch

Why don't I see the pics?

IMO Ted is right with the heat build theory.
It takes it's toll over time.
I also agree that heavier, more agressive weights stress the clutch castings over time. Add agressive traction products and ...YUCK!!
I blew a belt at 125 (true speed). The belt pieces (100s) had a feeling like they'd been cooked. It was an older belt from the previous year and "looked" good. Only took 2-3 pulls at 130-138 and BOOM! Sounded a howitzer was mounted under the hood.
The first thing I thought, was remembering reading on TY about a clutch that exploded and took out a sled. I was about to freak out. All before I was even close to stopping.
I was really happy when I open the hood and saw it was just a belt. Clutches looked fine...then!
About a month later 3 hairline cracks showed up on the inside of the primary (the last run of the year). That clutch is now in a land fill somewhere in Western Mass.
A brand new one is on for this year.
We "all" need to watch this issue closely running these high HP sleds.
Change belts (and bearings) more frequently, and keep a close eye on that clutch.
It could save your life.
OTIS RX

stationary side of primary took out the secondary. have seen this on big triples before. actully guy lost 2 fingers. keep doing what your doin angel on your shoulder.

OTIS, what are you running for a track and studs if I may ask?

I could hit 133mph in 2000 feet on my Tcat with Golddigger studs and a 3/4" full block track....hope to beat that with my Apex this year!!

OTIS RX-1 said:
Camo 9830H w/ 1" cut down to approx 1/2 w/ 198 woody chizels.
Clutching never full achieved & carb leaks, A/F off. All corrected for this year.
Should do much better.
Numbers are radar not speedo

I gotta get the guy with my tcat to get some traction!!! Awesome numbers!

Back