• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt height in driven clutch

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
So where do you like your belt riding in the driven clutch? Slightly above? even? or slightly below? Just been trying to figure out how my winder likes the belt position. Wanting to hear from others as well.

actually, ...dont do that.
It is a mistaken concept to go by "how high does it sit in the secondary". it is a ok hillbilly reference, but thats all, a quick reference....it is not setting belt deflection.

...in fact it WOULD be a accurate reference if all belts and center distance were perfect and perfectly consistent, but they are not. Belts vary, as you know, by length...measure some and you can see variance.
If you are setting belt deflection, set it by exactly that...deflection of the slack in the belt.

Sure it would be nice to say ( and some do) .."I like my belt 1/16" above the secondary on model X". ..however, what if the next belt is 3/8" longer? if the belt is longer it will be looser...with MORE deflection right?..I thought you were setting belt deflection?

actually, ...dont do that.
It is a mistaken concept to go by "how high does it sit in the secondary". it is a ok hillbilly reference, but thats all, a quick reference....it is not setting belt deflection.

...in fact it WOULD be a accurate reference if all belts and center distance were perfect and perfectly consistent, but they are not. Belts vary, as you know, by length...measure some and you can see variance.
If you are setting belt deflection, set it by exactly that...deflection of the slack in the belt.

Sure it would be nice to say ( and some do) .."I like my belt 1/16" above the secondary on model X". ..however, what if the next belt is 3/8" longer? if the belt is longer it will be looser...with MORE deflection right?..I thought you were setting belt deflection?
Agree 100%....

But in this forum, that is never gonna work...LOL ;)

OK then, I'm using stock 8JP belts also BOP belt adjuster. What should I be looking for when adjusting belt for the best performance. My offset is good @ 61mm, belt wear has been great (1000 miles). This is my first adjuster and looking to make sure I'm using correctly. Thanks for the input guys!

this a example of belt deflection....specs are in your manual..

that said...if you aren't measuring all the time (and most of us aren't) do not take your belt to the top or over the secondary...like Dan said a tad below makes life simpler !

beltens.gif

I just did Snowaddicts sled with that exact part and belt. We ended up Just below sheaves. I like to run a bunch of times in stand to warm up belt and watch roller contact. I know maybe I'm crazy but if you have a adjuster and play around enough you will see what I speak of. If you have it to loose( belt riding to high) you get less roller contact. And what I mean is you might only get one roller touching and tight on helix. Tighten your adjuster (clockwise-opening sheaves a bit/ makes belt drop down lower)and all of a sudden two rollers are tight. JUST A SMIDGE more and they all three touch. I the only one seeing this when playing with deflection????? Maybe it's just my helix/set up? Or maybe to many pilsners eh ?? Lol

Last edited:
I had to edit last post a few times because I had the post wrong on secondary sheaves and adjusting. it's kinda confusing for some with a secondary adjuster. If you loosen it all the way counter clockwise it will make belt ride high. When you tighten adjuster or turn it clockwise it forces sheaves apart and the belt drops down into secondary - hence riding lower.

Last edited:

Back