• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt slipping?

mtotguy

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Rush 800, 2014 Viper RTX, 1983 Excel 3
If I do a hole shot and I'm getting good traction I can hear a bit of rumbling somewhere under me. It's not the track ratcheting. I know that sound and the track is tight enough. I've also adjusted the chain tension (it needed 3 turns) but it still makes the noise. The belt deflection looks good. It's not a grinding noise. It's not terribly loud. It doesn't do it from a float. I'm thinking my belt could be slipping. Has anybody else heard this?

If you are hooked up track wise, you can slip the belt. You will also hear this noise if you are trail riding, slam on the brakes locking up the track, come to a complete stop then mash the throttle again. Belts need a few miles to fully break in. This happened to me when I would race asphalt during the spring, summer and fall months..... Now I trail ride the new belts for 100 miles or 150 before I take them off and use them on my asphalt sleds.

That seemed to do the trick. There isn't much clearence between the tunnel and the track.

Back