• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Wear @ 1500 Miles

Sodes

Extreme
Website
www.sledovations.com
I'm slowly awakening my 05' Rx-1 from it's hibernation and I noticed a cord hanging from the side of the drive belt. I removed the belt as recommended prior to storage and I clean it with soap every 500-600 miles (weekends and that's about all the servicing I've do during the season). I know these Yamaha OEM belts are hard, but do you think this is premature. The width is now 33mm where the manual says a range from 35-38mm is normal. I was going to replace the belt, but is that premature. See the attached photos

Sodes

PS: I do drive it like I stole it.........

Attachments

• 34mm Belt Cooked.JPG
    34mm Belt Cooked.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Cord Hanging.JPG
    Cord Hanging.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 108

I'd snip the fray off and use the belt as a spare. Personally, I don't like using a belt with less than than 34mm to 35mm. If you go any less than that, you'll have to shim the secondary to get the proper belt height. With all that power from the engine, I'd spend the money and put a new one in just to be on the safe side.

Jon

Sodes,

Off topic, one of my riding partners (1500 miles a season together) lives in Elmhurst. A few blocks east of the hospital and north of the tracks. He's a pilot with American Airlines and rides Cats. What a great guy with an unbeliveable knowledge of sleds.

Jon

Replace it mine blew apart and made a mess ,didn't damage any thing but messy to get clean after . I have seen them break and bend body parts .

replace it / if your going to use it as a spare, be real easy when using it / personally I'd throw it and run a new belt and a new spare / remember grief and agravation have no price, it only gets worse when you start to have problems / nip it in the bud / thow it / later / jim-bob

Wilson said:
Replace it mine blew apart and made a mess ,didn't damage any thing but messy to get clean after . I have seen them break and bend body parts .

i agree with wilson-replace it right away. i ran one, but didnt know that it started to fray, and ended up shredding it goin 100+ across a lake. it actually was on a ty ride. but yeah what a mess to cleanup

my dear, sodes
i think the problem is that out of balance Goodwin clutch kit you use on your sled, not to mention your speed is never under warp factor 5, drag racing around the white northwoods like Mr. Toad on his wild ride. first your sled throws wheels, now it has an appetite for belts. toss the belt i'm buying you a new one for chistmas made out of chain male and rare Burmise rubber.
rfc
p.s.
now i must go and measure my belt, a few more miles than you. but i know i have no hanging threads.

ok,mr. sodes
i measured the two belts on the warrior the one on the machine with 1600 miles is 33.75 wide, the brand new belt on the cover is 34.5 wide. so for the fun of it i checked my 01 v-max the spare belt with over 2000 miles was 33.5 wide and the one driving the machine with 1500 miles on it was 34.0 wide.
the the used belts all looked the same , none were thread bare or had burnt spots, they were consistant the whole way around.
so in conclusion, i think possibly, almost likely your belt did blow prematurely. maybe the dealer you got your sled at will cover it under warranty for you? they have a outstanding reputation for superior customer service.
rfc

Wilson said:

Plus a Doo guy took a picture of Wilson with his hood up. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1671 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1671 (Small).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 122
Sodes, you must be running an aftermarket clutch kit where the weights are too light, causing the belt to slip. I have a 2003 RX-1 Mountain with 13000 miles on the belt and it still looks like new.

Back