• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bending metal side rails on tilt trailer

MichaelAngelo

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2000 Yamaha Venture 600
The "new" sled has a 4' stance with the skis just rubbing/wedging into the side rails of my tilt trailer that's only 4' across.
It's this model of trailer pictured below. seems like if I just find a way to bend the metal edges outwards by even 1/2" the sled will fit much better... but I haven't found a good method/tool to get them to bend without kinking halfway up.
northtrail-snowmobile-trailer_3937924.jpg

The "new" sled has a 4' stance with the skis just rubbing/wedging into the side rails of my tilt trailer that's only 4' across.
It's this model of trailer pictured below. seems like if I just find a way to bend the metal edges outwards by even 1/2" the sled will fit much better... but I haven't found a good method/tool to get them to bend without kinking halfway up.
northtrail-snowmobile-trailer_3937924.jpg

I have bend a z shape on a press and added them before to those older trailers, or you could cut that off to get it level and then add a z-shape.

I would recommend running strips of 1/2 #plywood down each side of the trailer. It would save the trailer from the carbides and it would lift the skis up that much more hopefully allowing the skis to sit higher than the rails. Good luck.

I would recommend running strips of 1/2 #plywood down each side of the trailer. It would save the trailer from the carbides and it would lift the skis up that much more hopefully allowing the skis to sit higher than the rails. Good luck.

It would be a significant lift as the side rails are a good 4" high.

Seems like it would just be easier to bend them out 1/2" that's all they need to move. Just need to find the right tool

It would be a significant lift as the side rails are a good 4" high.

Seems like it would just be easier to bend them out 1/2" that's all they need to move. Just need to find the right tool

Thought, take a 1/4 angle iron, maybe 3x3, bolt or clamp it to the side of the trailer, then maybe slit the sides down to that angle iron in maybe 3 to 4 ft sections and then take a mall and start pounding on it to bend it over.. you need it short as thats a long way to bend it...

You might able to add another piece of steel on the back side and use a big-#*$&@ pipe wrench and cheater bar to bend it over.

about 1/2 way up is where the crossers are usually attachedto the sides.

Solved - i got a really long wood/project clamp from canadian tire, clamped it onto the bend in the rail, and was able to bend it that way.

Back