• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Rear skid

LSXM3

Expert
So I am still up in the air on what rear skid to run for next year so far I have considered the following
1-Nextech Mono 144"
2-Easyride 144"

Basically I was going to buy a new sled this year but i cant justify getting rid of this thing after it has never left me stranded in almost 8k miles and probably never will :yam: So I decided on a new tunnel from fabcraft that is being made now and should be here by June now i just need to figure out what suspension to run.....

I ride Very VERY aggressive and this thing will probably see boost in the future so i want something that wont wheelie to the stars every time i hit the throttle like it does with the extended factory skid (factory shortie)

Lets here your input!

Of those two my vote would go mono. I'd love to try one. Any skid with vertical coil overs (m-10, timbersled, k-mod, ezryde- expert x) will have bottoming resistance problems. It's just the nature of the beast when the shock is laying flat near bottoming it is compressing at a much lower rate than when it's vertical at the top of it's stroke. That being said, the M-10 and Expert X have secondary springs that engage at the end of the stroke to help fight this. On the other end of the spectrum is the K-mod, the couplng design alows the front shock to work against the rear the last couple inches of travel. Making a bad situation worse.

The way to correct this is with a holz style skid (polaris pro, cat float) but the problem here is they are none couplng skids and will have tranfer problems for high hp sleds.

But you put proper shock geometries along with a proper couplng system you have.a sick skid. This by theory is where the mono skid is at. But unfortunately I have not riden one to verify the theory.

Keep in mind these are all theories of a simple minded heating guy that has never been happy with a skid and spent hundreds of hours analyzing skids. I have personally owned 2 holz, a cat float skid, m-10, timbersled and a k-mod and analyzed every other skid as much as possible without having one. So take it for what it's worth I'd definitely go mono of your two choices.
;)!

You should try pps, it is a bit progressive. Lynx uses it almost all models. Take almost everything at right setup and after that it actually wont do nothing unusual. I had it in my tnt doo and rode at really bad trails, it just bottoms almost every bump but didnt broke or do nothing special, just goes straight forward. After that i put harder shims on shocks and it worked really nice. Next winter I put extensions for 136" track and race model shocks with adjustments. It was day and night difference between normal single tube 36mm and 46 clicker shocks. It did fly after that, did even flat landings and it was still comfy on bad trails. If something negative must say, it has really good weight transfer, so it makes sled wheelie quite good. Second is weight, for 121" It was something about 35kg. Bad news are maybe that this is only on skandinavian markets... ;)

I have shock rebuild equipments and I usual make my own shims because I cant drive like sleds are ment to, so need to do some mods on shocks to have decent ride. Now I have 153 nytro mtx -09, I have 40mm kyb shocks around, only rear shock is 46mm wp. It is now quite comfy(3 setup for this winter) but still not perfect. Takes big bumps quite nicely but still bottoms too easily when driving "thru" bumps. Still needs some mods.

Lynx lineup

scmurs said:
I'll vote for a Ford :moon:

Of course you would Scott... ;):D

rlcofmn said:
Of those two my vote would go mono. I'd love to try one. Any skid with vertical coil overs (m-10, timbersled, k-mod, ezryde- expert x) will have bottoming resistance problems. It's just the nature of the beast when the shock is laying flat near bottoming it is compressing at a much lower rate than when it's vertical at the top of it's stroke. That being said, the M-10 and Expert X have secondary springs that engage at the end of the stroke to help fight this. On the other end of the spectrum is the K-mod, the couplng design alows the front shock to work against the rear the last couple inches of travel. Making a bad situation worse.

The way to correct this is with a holz style skid (polaris pro, cat float) but the problem here is they are none couplng skids and will have tranfer problems for high hp sleds.

But you put proper shock geometries along with a proper couplng system you have.a sick skid. This by theory is where the mono skid is at. But unfortunately I have not riden one to verify the theory.

Keep in mind these are all theories of a simple minded heating guy that has never been happy with a skid and spent hundreds of hours analyzing skids. I have personally owned 2 holz, a cat float skid, m-10, timbersled and a k-mod and analyzed every other skid as much as possible without having one. So take it for what it's worth I'd definitely go mono of your two choices.
;)!

Thats what i keep reading about the MONO but have yet to find someone other than Burandt that has ridden one. It (the mono) in theory is the answer to all my wants and needs but i really want to hear from someone who has actually ridden it to see what their thoughts are about it.

ez-ryde hands down. IMO best suspension to date. and I've ridden just about everything with the exception of the Nextec. the ez-ryde is very durable also Ive witnessed some nasty hits on it that you thought would tweek something but didn't.

I'm a little biased as I'm a timbersled dealer but they work very well. In reality you can pick apart any skid setup out there as none of them are perfect for all conditions. I think for the weight savings, ease of adjustment, and overall ride quality the timbersled is tough to beat. With that said I think dealer support and product availability is more important than anything.

Hyflyr the only and ONLY reason i will not go with a timber sled is due to the additional brackets that the tunnel will need to reinforce it due to the the extreme stress a timber sled skid puts on the tunnel and thats straight from my builders mouth not mine. I agree they do ride nice as its the only mountain skid i have actually ridden but im looking for something else.

Apex06 & woodsrider i have read alot about the ez-ride an its a viable option as well.

LSXM3 said:
Hyflyr the only and ONLY reason i will not go with a timber sled is due to the additional brackets that the tunnel will need to reinforce it due to the the extreme stress a timber sled skid puts on the tunnel and thats straight from my builders mouth not mine. I agree they do ride nice as its the only mountain skid i have actually ridden but im looking for something else.

Apex06 & woodsrider i have read alot about the ez-ride an its a viable option as well.

Is that for all tunnels? Or just the Fabcraft tunnel. What about one of there skids??

HYFLYR said:
I'm a little biased as I'm a timbersled dealer but they work very well. In reality you can pick apart any skid setup out there as none of them are perfect for all conditions. I think for the weight savings, ease of adjustment, and overall ride quality the timbersled is tough to beat. With that said I think dealer support and product availability is more important than anything.

The things I REALLY love about my 2012 timbersled skid:
-The coupling system. 10 seconds to turn a knob and adjust how much coupling you want, no need to bust out any tools.
-Strength, the newly designed suspension arms are tough!

The things I don't like about my 2012 timbersled skid:
-Drop Brackets with Skinz Airframe running boards. I don't know about the 2010+ sleds but my 09 nytro with Skinz Airframe running boards don't work well with the timbersled drop brackets. The Drop brackets don't extend far enough out to tie into the main tube of the Airframe running boards. In fact they can only rivet to the Airframes in one location and I feel like that's hardly enough. I'm VERY hard on things and I would bet money that this issue is why my tunnel is bent around the drop brackets. Luckily the Airframes add some much support and rigidity I'm fairly confident it's not going to get any worse than it is right now.

Love my Timbersled Skid, but I'll be swapping drop brackets this summer for something that will work with the Airframes.

LSXM3 said:

Not to stear you towards a Timbersled or any skid for that mater. But I think your builder needs some better designs if he is turning people away from skids for his tunnel. My tunnel is 30 pounds including full coolers and is more than tough enough for A timbersled.

LSXM3 said:

I must say your builder is welcome to his own opinion but thats all it really is, a opinion. I've been running a timbersled for three years now with zero tunnel issues, along with all my customers, 30+ skids at least! I will admit I was not a fan of their old drop brackets but their new ones are much better, however I run the cr drop brackets because they are braced much better than the original timersled drop brackets.

Ive seen bent rear arms from timbersled but they also stood behind them and warrantied all parts, but that was their old design and have no issues with the newest design. If anything I place blame on too narrow of brackets for bending tunnels, not skid design.

Back