• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best replacement header and why.

thor452

Because I can
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
I am looking for opinions on why one after market part is better than the next. The EXUP header broke on one of our machines and the OEM TI piece is way too much and if you purchase used how much life is left before it to cracks somewhere and being TI cant be welded without spending some serious coin at a specialty shop. So we have decided to go SS aftermarket for replacement and eliminate the EXUP all together. Anyone have this done if so what one did you buy are you happy with it how many miles do you have on it has it needed any repair yet. Also comment any opinion on why you would go one way or the other all input is welcome we plan to purchase the part in the next month and do the repair sometime in June. Also if you have done this any tips or tricks are also welcome. Thanks in advance guys!!

I replaced mine on my older 2011 Apex and could not tell the difference after it was removed as far as speed or mid-range punch without the power valve. Ulmer Racing sent me one and have about 1500 miles on it. I have to check it over this fall to see how its holding up but from what I can tell its all good.

Just over 3500 miles this season on my Ulmer header. Well built piece that installed easily. Clutching remained the same on my 2011 with right at 13,000 miles on it. As far as I know, Ulmer is the only direct replacement on the market. I'd buy another rather than deal with the POS EXUP system.

Thanks guys and please keep the responses coming. there are a few out there but Ulmer seems to have a high quality piece. I have seen some for 900 out there on ebay and such. I thought I heard they didn't have all the support brackets and my be poor quality for durability.

I have a Turbor Performance replacement. I posted a bunch of pictures of it in a post in February. Its a decent header super nice guy. I have some concern about the lack of supports but I've had no issues yet. I put on another 1200 miles after the replacement. Sounds good a bit deeper but I'm not using anymore weight then stock. So no HP to be had.

thank you they are out of Canada correct? I was looking at them but it seems they may no longer be making the pipe it crossed over to like 900 American but couldn't get a shipping price just said this item ended.

You can track him down on facebook they have a page Turbor Performance, just ask him to make you one. If that doesn't work PM me I might have his contact info somewhere

How do you know when exup header is cracked? Buds stator went out on his SE at 14,000 miles and when he took it in they found the cracked header. Stator and header was too much expense and he parted out. He was willing to do the stator but both was too much on high mileage sled. I’m pushing 13,000 miles on my Xtx and wondering when and what to do with exup header too? Seems to me that this topic is starting to come up more and more with broken headers as mileage piles up. Any advice would be helpful.

Fyi...I am working on a repair kit that will fix the broken flanges.

I know Pat’s is starting to see broken exup headers on high mileage sleds and had no aftermarket solutions other than expensive stock Yamaha header replacement. I know I need to research this so I’m prepared and I think many others will need help too.

Mine was cracked in the flanges. BIG chunks missing and numerous cracks in all four flanges. Glad to see Travis stepping up with a repair kit. For me, tearing down to remove the EXUP.... Meant just that.broken cable, stretching cables, constant worry if I'm leaving performance on the table due to these issues. Well, I'm keeping my Apex a LONG time. New complete Fast Airwave suspension and front shocks, new track, new header. I'll ride this red headed b***h till her legs fall off lol!

Mine was cracked in the flanges. BIG chunks missing and numerous cracks in all four flanges. Glad to see Travis stepping up with a repair kit. For me, tearing down to remove the EXUP.... Meant just that.broken cable, stretching cables, constant worry if I'm leaving performance on the table due to these issues. Well, I'm keeping my Apex a LONG time. New complete Fast Airwave suspension and front shocks, new track, new header. I'll ride this red headed b***h till her legs fall off lol!
There is definitely a need someone posted on John Dee a month or so ago in need of a solution. Seems the part and the repair is too costly to bother with OEM solutions. Either an aftermarket solution is developed or lots of parted out high mileage Apex. I’m like you I would like to keep my Xtx in service in the foreseeable future.

I bought a set of 4 stainless steel braided flex's to install on 2011 Apex. Header flanges were done. I'll give updates later this week on how it went.

well you know I am a faithful customer Travis... so I will wait a bit for the solution but I need one by mid June any chance you will have one by then?

We have sold and installed a few of the ulmer headers on the 2011 and newer apex sleds and have had no issues with them and consider them the most viable replacement currently available. The issue i have seen with fixing the flanges on the 2011-2018 apex titanium pipes (the 2006-2010 style as well) is that they are also prone to cracking where they come together so fixing the flanges on them is sometimes just a temporary fix - I guess it really comes down to how permanent you want the fix to be and sometimes that is determined by how much longer you plan on keeping the sled vs the cost of repairing it.

Back