• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Skid plate for a nytro

Calvin42

Veteran
Was wondering what the best skid plate for a nytro is and also how is it mounted. Is it easy to take off and put back on for easy oil changes?

Probably the Skinz. Its large, great floatation, but relatively simple to remove and works with all bumpers.

I have the Yamaha Ultra Plate now, but its small, only offers protection, but its also quick to remove.

I JUST CHANGED OIL ON MY XTX. 638 MILES. MY SKINZ FLOAT PLATE IS BROKE WITH A PIECE MISSING. I CONTACTED THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT IT, BUT THEY HAVEN'T RESPONDED YET. NO BOON-DOCKING, JUST TRAIL RIDING.

SilentSno said:
Probably the Skinz. Its large, great floatation, but relatively simple to remove and works with all bumpers.

I have the Yamaha Ultra Plate now, but its small, only offers protection, but its also quick to remove.

How do ya like the float plate? I thought they looked kinda strange but if it works well I'm all for that.

I haven't used the Skinz or the new Yamaha Float Plate.

The Skinz has had great review, though it could use better mounting. People have changed the clamps to good strength u bolts.

The Yamaha one required their 'sport' bumper which is yet another additional cost.

The Ultra Plate I have now, offeres pretty much just protection, which it has worked, as I have quite the large gash it it that would have destroyed the stock bottom.

All the plates have had issues with snow and ice filling in them, which in turn have melted then froze causing all sorts of issues, like the plate coming off completely, pulling off and/or breaking the mounting hardware.

I'll be getting the Skinz very soon. I think using better mounting hardware will help the freezing/melting snow issue, and it offers the best deal for the money.

SilentSno said:
I haven't used the Skinz or the new Yamaha Float Plate.

The Skinz has had great review, though it could use better mounting. People have changed the clamps to good strength u bolts.

The Yamaha one required their 'sport' bumper which is yet another additional cost.

The Ultra Plate I have now, offeres pretty much just protection, which it has worked, as I have quite the large gash it it that would have destroyed the stock bottom.

All the plates have had issues with snow and ice filling in them, which in turn have melted then froze causing all sorts of issues, like the plate coming off completely, pulling off and/or breaking the mounting hardware.

I'll be getting the Skinz very soon. I think using better mounting hardware will help the freezing/melting snow issue, and it offers the best deal for the money.

Thanks for the info. Don't like riding without a skid plate.

i didnt like either of the offerings, and made my own. i took the yamaha ultra plate and cut the nose cone section off, put that on the nose of the sled.

then i had an aluminum diamond plate (atp) made to match the dimensions of the lower skid plate on the sled and the ultra plate. i fabbed it to mold it to the contours of the bottom, drilled 5 holes in it. 4 for the center bottom and one for the center front. and added a riv-nut to that front center of the subframe to retain the whole thing.

now i have a thick aluminum plate over the heart of the sled to protect from major impacts. no place for snow and ice to bulge anything out. and alot better looking than any of the alternatives in my opinion.

you can see pics if you go to my thread about the 100 pound diet. they are near the end of the thread if i remember right. ski

skidooboy said:
i didnt like either of the offerings, and made my own. i took the yamaha ultra plate and cut the nose cone section off, put that on the nose of the sled.

then i had an aluminum diamond plate (atp) made to match the dimensions of the lower skid plate on the sled and the ultra plate. i fabbed it to mold it to the contours of the bottom, drilled 5 holes in it. 4 for the center bottom and one for the center front. and added a riv-nut to that front center of the subframe to retain the whole thing.

now i have a thick aluminum plate over the heart of the sled to protect from major impacts. no place for snow and ice to bulge anything out. and alot better looking than any of the alternatives in my opinion.

you can see pics if you go to my thread about the 100 pound diet. they are near the end of the thread if i remember right. ski

Thanks for the info. Will take a look.

Yamaha says that the accessory bumper is required for their float plate but it isn't. It will bolt right up to the stock bumper but will only leave a small gap for your fingers. I trimmed 1" off the front of the plate and now have lots of room to grab. It mounts solid with 6 bolts and 4 clamps, I have had no issues with it popping off like the skinz plate is having. Using the extended bumper would also catch a lot of snow up front and get real heavy.

you understand that yamha's float plate is made by skins and it is the same as their float plate right? ski

I have the skinz float plate, lots of protection although lots of ice chunks build up around a arms by the end of the day. skinz says to cut a 4" hole in the middle of the thing for drainage???

you understand that yamha's float plate is made by skins and it is the same as their float plate right? ski

the skinz plate and yamaha float plate have slightly different shapes (i.e. yamaha has small cut-outs for lower A-arms) and mounting holes. Maybe the Yamaha plate is made by skinz but they look like different shapes

Back