• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Skid plate for a nytro

Skinz makes both the Yamaha plate and their own. I was just there yesterday looking at the offerings. Jeff the owner said the skinz plate is better for floatation. Yes the the hole is needed to allow melted ice to drain and not freeze and expand pushing the plate off in extreme cases.

I really like the skinz brand. The Yamaha one is too small for floatation.

Otis

I have had the Yamaha Plate and Bumper on my Nytro for the last 800 miles and recently pulled it off. I loved the look and the protection it provided, but had issues with Ice build up. It also comes with a diagram for cutting out three holes in the middle, but that seems counter intuitive to me so I haven't done it. I think from a float perspective you're better off with better skis than the plate, but from a protection perspective the plate is great. My 2 cents anyway....

Calvin, I sent you a PM.

ordering one today...had to tow out a buddy this weekend because he punched a whole in his oil pan, and oh yeah, you cant buy just the oil pan, it comes with the whole crank case!!! $1600+ OUCH!!!!!!!!

Otis, you know the friend whom I am referring to, and should give him some grief!!!

i am having another two piece skid plate made as we type. i will post pics and details how to make your own. the bottom half of the plate is 1/8" atp (aluminum tread plate) or what we call dimond plate.

that should stop a rock or stump from getting to the oil pan... fo shizzy.

plus it looks better, and doesnt accumulate snow, ice to pop the plate off the sled and rip the bodywork.

costs alittle more, is heavier but well worth it in my opinion.

ski

skidooboy said:
i am having another two piece skid plate made as we type. i will post pics and details how to make your own. the bottom half of the plate is 1/8" atp (aluminum tread plate) or what we call dimond plate.

plus it looks better, and doesnt accumulate snow, ice to pop the plate off the sled and rip the bodywork.

ski

Thank goodness! I have been waiting for someone to offer this info since I took out by RX bulkhead trying to start this season too early.

bdm said:
skidooboy said:

ski

Thank goodness! I have been waiting for someone to offer this info since I took out by RX bulkhead trying to start this season too early.
Unfortunatly no one does offer this aluminum pate yet.( Ski made his own)

[/quote]Unfortunatly no one does offer this aluminum pate yet.( Ski made his own)[/quote]

homemade is what I was hoping to see

Unfortunatly no one does offer this aluminum pate yet.( Ski made his own)[/quote]

homemade is what I was hoping to see[/quote]

I am quite confident a 1/4" aluminum piece would not have even slowed down the rock that took out Travis' oil pan...think of top 6" of a javelin...and that was attached to a 1 ton rock...

lots of underground treasure this year...

mtdream said:
Unfortunatly no one does offer this aluminum pate yet.( Ski made his own)

homemade is what I was hoping to see[/quote]

I am quite confident a 1/4" aluminum piece would not have even slowed down the rock that took out Travis' oil pan...think of top 6" of a javelin...and that was attached to a 1 ton rock...

lots of underground treasure this year...[/quote]

MT,
Was that on a Nytro or the RMK??

Always looking for a better mouse trap.

scmurs

I have used both the Yamaha and the Skinz float plates- the Skinz is the one that I've been using this season and I like it better than the Yamaha for boondocking- if you can see in my pic that it has the 4" X 6" opening on the bottom. It still loads us pretty good but it clears out on the trails. I still have trouble with large ice chunks getting lodged in the A-Arms when they melt and re-freeze.

scmurs said:
mtdream said:

lots of underground treasure this year...

MT,
Was that on a Nytro or the RMK??

Always looking for a better mouse trap.

scmurs

the oil pan was on a Nytro...and it just completely punched it, 1/4" aluminum would have merely an appetizer for this rock...not sure any plastic would have handled it either....it was a bleeder for sure!!! :)

I'm working on a "green" solution to this problem. My first attempt got my bent up Viper out of the back country. Just need to figure out how to apply this to the belly pan.

IMG_0740-1.jpg

scmurs

Beware of Skinz product

I purchased a SKINZ for my Nytro MTX. Wow.. what a mistake! I was really excited to try it out. It worked well the first day. The instructions that came with the plate had me cut a whole in the bottom to allow the plate to release water. I did so before putting on. We went on a tour where we were away from home for a couple of days. On the second day, it was real cold but great snow, my sled was having all sorts of problems diving in the snow. Upon inspection, the SKINZ plate had packed with ice and was separating from the bottom of the sled. It ripped the bolts out of my Nytro bottom. It was like a huge boob formed under my sled! Wow... it did not work as advertised. I contacted SKINZ and requested a refund. They have not been helpful. If you pay 100 bucks for a product, it should work. They have admitted they have problems to me in email (I am happy to post if you are curious) but will not refund my money. To me, this indicates they do not stand behind what they sell. I would be very wary of any and all SKINZ products. I recommend a strong stay away from them! go another route. Meanwhile... my sled has some damage that they should be responsible for but will not even discuss. The ice build up occured during riding. Guess if you want a product that is as reliable as ROTAX, go SKINZ.

Another Skinz flot plate same results.... was wondering if anybody has cut their float plate back around the a arms with better results.

Back