• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Better handling

Nytro08

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha nytro
I picked up a 08 short track with split rail skis and steering relocate end of last season what would be my next best direction to get this sled to handle better, I ride with all polaris rush guys and when we start to ride hard I feel like I'm riding the hell out if my sled just to keep up while they're putting in half the effort. I'd like to spend my money on upgrades one at a time but going in the right direction as well

I have been a Yamaha guy since a kid , I like the sled bandit dosnt cost me a dollar to sit in my garage

You could stay Yamaha and trade to a Viper with good factory shock package.
I used to have an 08 Nytro and while I just love that engine, you would have to put a lot into it to bring it to more modern handling.
Also the ergos are so much better on the Viper, which you just can't change easily on a Nytro.

I picked up a 08 short track with split rail skis and steering relocate end of last season what would be my next best direction to get this sled to handle better, I ride with all polaris rush guys and when we start to ride hard I feel like I'm riding the hell out if my sled just to keep up while they're putting in half the effort. I'd like to spend my money on upgrades one at a time but going in the right direction as well

What carbides do you have on the split rails?
When I had mine there were 2 - 6" shapers underneath which worked well. Steering was still light but had good grip.

I ran the springs on the front shocks loose. With the weight off the ski, just wind the spring up so its not sloppy, and give it one turn. The nytro likes a relaxed front end.
The front shocks, were also fairly soft as well, Centre shock, back off the spring so it is loose and give it one to two turns. If steering pressure is too much, slowly bring on the spring tension.

In the end, the nytro has a tough time keeping up with the newer sleds. It feels every bump and gets thrown off its line easy. (IMO). Don't get me wrong, there are many days I miss it, and how the Japanese put it together. It is a robust chasis that was a joy to work on - and it stayed together. These procross sleds leave you wondering. Its like a helicopter. One hour or run time equals one hour of maintenance. But the Nytro's front end has a hard time keeping up - whether it was pushing or flipping a ski up in corners.
MS

I put a 3+1 a arm kit on my exwifes nytro and man that thing rail the corners and handled awesome it was like a completely different sled.

I always wondered if the front end geometry was completely overhauled, taller a arms, more sweep on the spindle - what could have been for the nytro. Its a great riding sled and one you could ride all day
MS

I used one of the BOP mount kits and hung a 137” Mono II under my ‘13 Nytro this fall. Gotta say it, works really well. The skid mounts a little over 2” back in the tunnel compared to a stocker, which in affect spaces the spindles ahead a couple of inches from the track’s front pivot point. Next on the list is a set of aftermarket spindles, but I’m pretty impressed with it so far.

Back