• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bigger guy needs rear suspension help...

Goldfinger911

I am almost done with my first full season on my 2006 VEctor Mountain. I have come to the conclusion that the rear suspension may not be enough for my riding weight. I weigh 248lbs before riding coat, helmet and pack. I need to bottom out the stock rear suspension over the mogul'd un-groomed trails. I need at minimum better shocks in the rear I assume.

Can anyone give me any advice? I have been looking at the options here:
http://www.mountainperformance.com/yama ... prings.htm

But I dont know if they will fit a newer Vector Mtn. Can at RX-1 rear shock fit on mine? Newbie here hoping for some advice.

I have tried every combination of stock settings on the shock and on the preload springs in the rear. All that happens is the sled feels "springy-er" if thatr makes sense. Dampning gets worse the stiffer the springs.

Thanks everyone

-GF911
Maple Valley, WA

yamaha makes an alternate set of springs for heavier riders, you should be able to find it in the parts section of yamahas parts pages. I also am a larger rider, 285 lbs and my 05 rx1 mtn skid bottomed easily. I went with the alternate springs. a ohlins center shock from the old style nytros and a HPG 46mm piggyback unit from a skidoo race sled. The new venture GT has a gas rear shock that will bolt in, not sure what type of valving it needs. I bought my rear shock from Bruce at Pioneer performance, he was able to verify that it would work. Now here is tha hard part, since the shocks I used were not designed for a mountain skid it took alot of fine tuning, 4 revalves and eventually a dual rate spring on the center shock to get the ride I was looking for. Let me know if you would like to see pics or if you have specific questions.
Tom

Back