• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Biggest mistake of my life

Wow, so glad you and your family are ok!
That really stinks. Punctured gas tank? Good thing it's not an off road vehicle...sorry, but Polaris sucks. (Something has to suck now that I ride a yamaha badged cat.)
Hope you can get something back.....without a wreck causing that, somethings not designed right.

that happened to a guy i know locally with a razor when they 1st came out. had his 3 yr old in a booster seat fooling around in a gravel pit when his went up. he went back to can am after that happened. he will fix polaris for others but will never own another product from them.

glad you and the family are ok.

i have too much trouble when i get away from yamaha stuff. learned the hard way over the years.

I emailed the regional sales manager who helped me locate this machine in the first place. He's going to talk to the VP when he gets back from vacation next week. Hopefully I'm not out my 20 grand but I might be stuck with a Polaris in the garage

I have never sued anyone or anything in all my life of 63 years, BUT in your case I surely would talk to an attorney who specializes in what you described.

They (Polaris) have already added salt to the wound. I would think that more then just replacement price should be had. Sounds like your family (Your girls) have been traumatized by this event and it shall live on with them for a long while!

This is the main reason Polaris is bocking, because if they pay they assume responsibility for more then just replacement cost.

Glad to here that all are OK and you and your son shall still be able to enjoy the new beauty!

Polaris won’t cover it. The investigator was searching for ways to make it my fault from the start. Leaning heavily on I must have left the gas cap off for weeks into his investigation. When I gave him the receipt I still had in the glove box of my truck, I assume he must’ve got video footage from the station of me putting the gas cap on because the next thing I got was a call from Polaris resolution denying the claim because a “likely cause” of debris puncturing the gas tank.

My entire family was in the machine when it went up and I can tell you it went up fast. My son was stuck in it with the fire started on his side right next to him. In an adrenaline rush I reached through the driver side rear and ripped him out like a rag doll. Now my daughter and wife don’t have any desire to get in one ever again. So disgusted with Polaris every step of the way through this process.
Likely cause of something puncturing the gas tank?This is an offroad vehicle&if that was the case it's a serious design flaw &requires protection from the mfg to prevent this.definetly don't let this be.So sorry that's horrible

I appreciate all the supportive replies. I’ve been holding this in for the last 2 months waiting on a resolution. There’s still one guy from Polaris fighting to make this right so I’ll give him a little more time before I go full on Social Media blast

Good luck to you on Polaris front. I would be consulting with lawyer too.
On insurance front. I know when I was with state farm I was covered from moment you purchased something, I think was week or so from purchased date to when you had to have it addedWorth looking into.

Good luck to you on Polaris front. I would be consulting with lawyer too.
On insurance front. I know when I was with state farm I was covered from moment you purchased something, I think was week or so from purchased date to when you had to have it addedWorth looking into.
All my insurance is with State Farm. I know that’s the case with my automobiles. Never really thought about whether the toys would be the same.

Well..thats alot to hold in for 2 months. I hate to say, but..you better call Saul.

Get a lawyer involved. That is what it took to get them to replace one for a co workers of my brothers that they where refusing to fix the problem it had from new even with extended warranty. Took a year and a half with his mud bus ranger at the dealer before they got him a replacement machine he was willing to accept.

All my insurance is with State Farm. I know that’s the case with my automobiles. Never really thought about whether the toys would be the same.

I had State Farm for many years before getting married, and now have had American Family for as many years. Both have a similar policy on new purchases. I could be wrong, so take this with a grain of salt.

State Farm and American Family would give you a grace period on new purchases and give you automatic coverage if it was a replacement to something you already had in the fleet. Even if you had not already gotten rid of the previous item. But if it was a new item to the fleet, as in (never had one before) then you had to get that VIN/Model info to them ASAP. They would put coverage on it that would protect you in a case like this until you had the chance to complete your decisions on the type and amount of coverage you wanted to add to your plan.

So in my case, If I buy a new/used car, truck, snowmobile, motorcycle, boat, I was covered. But when I bought my new SXS, it was the first, so I needed to get them VIN/Model info at the dealer for the ride home. Now when I go to buy another SXS, I will fall into the auto-coverage model.

I hope that is correct for you and makes sense. But if this was your first SXS, it may not apply.

Good luck. I hate Polaris fires. And being this is not the "Flammable" turbo model, they will be less likely to give in to MFG defect as easily. The General overall is a great model from Polaris. And there are a number in our riding group. It truly is the Swiss Army knife of the SXS world.

Wow. That is a crazy story. I hope this story has a happy ending in your favor!

Back