• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

blew belt, now new OEM belt is loose...

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 phazer rtx- 1.75 b/c 7" sly dogs

2008 nytro rtx 40th- studded barker pipe
I got a 08 nytro rtx with about 3100km on it and on weekend i was ripping down road at about 140km/h
and belt blew, cleaned all the strands around both clutches and replaced with another OEM yamaha belt (8dn) but it just slid on effortlessly, so i start it up and try driving it but belt wasnt grabbing normally
I was only about 1km aways from home and cruised there with belt squeeling and burning rubber.
it seems the drive clutch isnt disengaging but im clueless to clutching so i figured id see if anybody has
experienced this or knows whats going on? any help would be appreciated

Might have gotten some belt crap inside the clutch and that could be keeping it from fully working. I would take primary apart and give it a good cleaning. I would start there before you start buying new parts.

Any good threads/videos on pulling the clutches on the nytro? Cleaning, repairing etc

All you need is a clutch puller. I take the front cover off which is 6 Bolts I believe and then the spring comes right out. DO NOT USE BREAK CLEANER OR OTHER TYPE OF CLEANER!!!! (Not good for belts) The best way to clean a clutch is with hot soapy water and let air dry. I know some people even run them through the dishwasher.

Ok thanks I guess ill order a puller and try that out. I took apart secondary clutch and everything seemed fine
hoping a good clean is all she needs. Looks like ill be riding phazer this weekend :(

If the belt just slid on effortlessly, It sounds like the seconday clutch is still open? If the primary was stuck open it would be harder to put a belt on.

Does the secondary move freely with the spring out of it?

If the belt just slid on effortlessly, It sounds like the seconday clutch is still open? If the primary was stuck open it would be harder to put a belt on.

Does the secondary move freely with the spring out of it?

Yea thats what I was thinking that its the secondary, took spring out and it does move freely and spring is not broken also last night I lifted track off ground and watched the clutches engaging and the primary looks like it opens and closes fine but belt goes deep into secondary and doesn't wanna come back up all the way.
checked for play on both clutches thinking it may be engine mount but everything is tight.
It's so random this happened after blowing a belt b/c sled has been problem free so far with only 3100km
im stumped.

If the belt isn't coming g to the top of the secondary you have something jambed in it holding it open a little

via big bad phone

Take it off and check it thoroughly and place a belt on the pulley to see if it is fully closed before you put it back on

via big bad phone

Take it off and check it thoroughly and place a belt on the pulley to see if it is fully closed before you put it back on

via big bad phone[/QUOTE

I took apart secondary clutch for third time last night and had it fully closed and making sure it wasnt open at all
then tightened everything back on, put belt on (it felt a little tighter putting on) then ran track for a second and it would do same thing squeel and go deep into secondary without coming back up, feels like I can turn secondary open and close fairly easy like there's no tension in spring or something (Im talking smack b/c this is first time touching nytro clutch and am newb to clutching) jus remembered when i had my xc700 in '05 was a nightmare getting a belt on being 15 yr old with weak arms lol..If I cant figure out whats going on tonight, then Im gonna just send it in to yamaha b/c its gotta be something stupid that hopefully wont cost an arm and a leg. If I end up taking it in ill post the results of whats going on.

Did you get the spring set properly...in the correct holes and then turn helix to tighten as you put it over the bolts

via big bad phone

Yea I made sure the spring was in the correct holes, even before I took it off the first time I looked at the spring and everything looked in place then proceeded to take apart and put back exact same way it was.

you started the post by saying you were clueless in clutching. If that is the case, how did you know that the secondary spring needs to be in certain holes?

Back