• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Belt Blowing

Last post not to degrade you or your set up but you got a combination of good and bad and you have room for improvement so you can hold your throttle wide open for longer pulls …
I guess for the 15-20 mins we scooted around in this field with 4’ of snow and only three long 100yard pulls in some deep snow I figured with a near new belt and babying this sled until yesterday that this wouldn’t have happened. Put it this way, I wouldn’t dare hold this thing wide open on a trail. The most I do is a quick 2-3 second pull and let off, never had this sled over 90mph, Im not so much concerned about if this machine can do 120mph, more so what it does in 600’. We’ll see if the 825 can hold it together but with the amount of heat coming off the clutches and transferring to that belt it’s not a good combination.

Deflection is set at less than a mm above secondary. Alignment at 58.12mm.

Interestingly enough after about 40 miles of breaking in the 825 belt I had no issue hitting 9050rpm on the trail doing a quick 2-3 second pull.

Is it possible that not enough weight in the primary might be causing me some grief? Can’t hold it long enough to see what the back shift rpm is at. DTYA-1 setup with a half inch slug i believe screwed all the way in.

Make sure you are not getting any snow in there. Little snow on the clutches with hp belts slips and heat up quick.

Yep I took a look and everything was dry. Very impressed for the 15-20 mins i actually held it wide open, just concerned seeing that cord hanging out.

Going to go with Knapps findings and wrap the dalton b/o at 90. I’m currently at 80

I guess for the 15-20 mins we scooted around in this field with 4’ of snow and only three long 100yard pulls in some deep snow I figured with a near new belt and babying this sled until yesterday that this wouldn’t have happened. Put it this way, I wouldn’t dare hold this thing wide open on a trail. The most I do is a quick 2-3 second pull and let off, never had this sled over 90mph, Im not so much concerned about if this machine can do 120mph, more so what it does in 600’. We’ll see if the 825 can hold it together but with the amount of heat coming off the clutches and transferring to that belt it’s not a good combination.

Interestingly enough after about 40 miles of breaking in the 825 belt I had no issue hitting 9050rpm on the trail doing a quick 2-3 second pull.

Is it possible that not enough weight in the primary might be causing me some grief? Can’t hold it long enough to see what the back shift rpm is at. DTYA-1 setup with a half inch slug i believe screwed all the way in.

Yes, its possible you don't have enough weight in the primary. Are you looking at the tach, a log or the max recall? Max recall is absolutely worthless to use to clutch a sled to FYI.

Yes, its possible you don't have enough weight in the primary. Are you looking at the tach, a log or the max recall? Max recall is absolutely worthless to use to clutch a sled to FYI.
Just looking at the tack. On trail at about 20mph and grabbing a handful of throttle I seen 9050 last night. I might toss a slightly bigger slug in there wrapped at 90

you cant really tell on these 4 strokes by feeling clutch... cuz at 170dg which engine runs at will be temp of inside sheave..... you cant put your hand on your engine so your not putting your hand on inner clutch... unless you are in -20-30 on long wide open lake or trail.... then the clutch will be cool. there is alot of engine heat and exhaust heat that transfers onto even the sec.... us a laser, you just dont want belts over 190-200.

I used the hurricane clutch tool......but have ZERO idea where you guys are getting the 58mm-59mm measurements?

Good information, keep the site posted….

Hurricane bar did not work on my 2022. It made my secondary be too close to jackshaft. After a 200 mile ride outside sheave (fixed) on secondary would have belt smear all over it, like excess friction marks and moveable sheave looked like brand new, literally didnt even look like a belt had ever contacted it. I was at 57.7mm offset with hurricane bar. I shimmed back out to 59.7ish and the smear dissapeared , temps got really cool and coloration between the 2 sheaves has equaled out. I have a friend with a 22 srx thats in the 59’s for offset as well and I believe jonaflon has shimmed out to the 59’s as well. Dont know if something is slightly different on the 22’s but that has been my experience. My 2020 is great with hurricane bar at 57.8mm offset.
59.1 mm on the 2022. My 17 liked a smidge less just as you reported. I agree and found the same things as your post. Just took a look at mine after 1000 miles on last trip. Looking great.

I used the hurricane clutch tool......but have ZERO idea where you guys are getting the 58mm-59mm measurements?
Measuring just as it states in the owners manual. Inner sheave of primarily to out sheave for secondary.

4CEDF0EE-BCEC-44A5-BE2E-1A74682E1A65.jpeg

Found 5’ of powder yesterday about a foot more than last week. About 20miles east of where we were last week. Snowed about 2” throughout the day.

Found an area relatively untouched and played around for a good 10 minutes. This time around I had removed the float from a secondary to a mm or less. Didn’t blow the belt but took a break anyhow with the side panel off. Primary and secondary outer were hot to the touch most likely from working in this stuff. Belt looked good. Not glazed.

I’ll take that as a win.

Attachments

• 89CC78DD-2B66-467E-BBB0-58E20A3007E1.jpeg
    89CC78DD-2B66-467E-BBB0-58E20A3007E1.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 131
Hello. I drove 1000 km on a belt. Noticed the scuffs. Can I keep riding it? Or is it better to replace?
Belt 8JP-17641-00-00
The edge tension is 1-1.5 mm.
The belt width is 34 mm.
IMG_20220316_204706.jpgIMG_20220316_204719.jpgScreenshot_20220316_214607.jpgScreenshot_20220316_214619_com.android.gallery3d_edit_558289867366892.jpg

Back