• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown engine update!!! Yamaha drops the ball again!!

broken RX

A few of you may remember that I had written a post about my blown engine which was an 03 that had only 1200mi. on it! For those who don't I recap- 03 rx1, clutched (full shift 10,200), jetted & K-n-N (these are the only mods) Everything was done to yamaha specs including changing oil at 500mi. Engine blew 1st ride this year (connecting rod came aprt and went through the case while doing 40mph! Pulled engine out and noticed part of the con rod cap sitting in the belly pan (half of it) The stud and nut were loose and the nut was nearly completely backed off the stud! I'm 33 years old and I have built a lot of engines in my time the best one being a 351 aluminum heads, 6.2in. aluminum rods, forged crank, mech roller, 13.5 to comp all in an 88 mustang weighing 3200lbs (full roll cage, ladder bar susp. etc. all built and fabbed by me! Best time with 3:73 gears was a 10.10 at 133mph with no juice(was built to run a 250 shot N20)! What I'm getting at is that I now a fair amount about engines! I talked to yamaha customer service and they told to bring it to my local dealer here in Hudson N.H. (any one from the area knows who they are) They tore down the engine (which cost me 90$) And tried to tell me & yamaha that the damage was caused by over revving! What the #$%@, every one knows that these do have a rev limiter and it was never taken past 10,200! They never considered nor told yamaha about the loose studs! Even the other half they had taken out of the case was loose (once there tourqed thats it) When that cap came loose it allowed the oil to spill out the sides causing a loss in oil press. (and ultimately wiping out entire engine, even cylinder head is broke from piston contact!!) Then talked to yamaha customer service about seeking a second opinion which they had agreed to!! Now comes the rediculous part! The second shop which has an inhouse machine shop and much more experiance with these engines totally agreed that it was no way caused by overrevving and could possibly have been an assembly issuse (rod cap not tourqued proprlyetc.) But nothing could be done unless a factory rep looks at it and determines the same (due to the fact that the first shop had torn down the engine)! Know yesterday I learn that yamaha can and won't due a thing because the first shop had torn down the engine, you got to be @#$^% kidding me!! I've all but lost all respect for yamaha and there product- not willing to admit that they could have possibly made a mistake- We all know thats impossible right! I think the only mistake made was buying this $9000 dollar piece of @#$#!! Yamaha has just Lost another customer! Next year (if bugs are worked out I just may purchase an MXZ)
Broken RX

If I was you I'd try the insurence route at this point. Get the dealer to put a bill together for damage. Get them to say you hit a rock and it caused the problem.

Hey it's worth a shot

By the way this is getting old with Yamaha.

Thats more of your dealer not taking care of you or not knowing how to take care of you!!!!
Some of these dealers only know how to take your money & thats the end of the deal when you leave with your new toy!!!

The dealer should have been behind you the whole f##k'n way!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!

BR

Why is it just the dealers fault? Ultimately Yamaha has the ability to take care of it and they are not.

This isn't just limited to Yami though - all 4 manus have a history of it.

jtsrx,

Jtsrx, That sounds like a great idea but the only problem being the fact that yamaha has all the serial #'s ad once insurance co. invetigates would see the original issue!
Broken RX

That is your dealers issue not Yamaha's. Give a call to Vince at Pittsburg Motorsports and see if he can help you out at all. The other step is to get a Lawyer involved. HUDSON CYCLE CENTER has never blown my skirt up either. This seems to be a common problem here in NH. There are very few decent Yamaha Dealers!!!!!!! (Service Dept. wise)

Hey I feel for ya too. I have been battling yamaha to admit the seal on my sled which came out and burned down one pistion was a factory problem. All they are doing now is the run around. Sorry to say but if you have a really big issue with some kind of defect yamaha is going to leave you high and dry with it. I brought my sled into a yamaha dealership where the clutch was taken off and the problme diagnosed correctly. Now just becasue I picked it up and fixed it elsewhere becasue I also found out I had no warranty lost 6 $%*&^ months of it. Got it done somewhere else they are saying I did nto provide proof of a factory defect. All this after they had the machine took the clutch off seen what was the matter and diagnosed the problem they just did nto fix it. They think this is going away but it is not. I am going to take them to court and I will win. It will cost them a lot more money than the repair plus ruining what a lot of people think of them. I always thought they would have a better warranty system than they do.

The dealer is the connection from you to Yamaha & without your dealer standing up for you, you have nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some dealers don't & won't stand up for you because it too much work!!!

BR

jtssrx...Are you telling him to commit INSURANCE FRAUD. Why don't you just tell him to go rob a conveinence store..same difference. Most of us are honest, hard working people, obviously your not!!!!!!

BRX-1 said:
The dealer is the connection from you to Yamaha & without your dealer standing up for you, you have nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some dealers don't & won't stand up for you because it too much work!!!

BR

Are you kidding? The dealers dont want your warranty claim either becasue yamaha pays them nothing for the work done. No money in it for them (the dealer). I had a bolt holding on the fairing come off the new venture touring bike with five years warranty. The dealer expected me to pay for it when it came iin. Now thats warranty.

broken RX- PM me- I know of another IDENTICAL failure that WAS covered by Yamaha as far as I know- I'll give you the person's and the dealer's Name and phone number.

broken RX, I too know of another member of this site who had the exact same thing happen to his 05 with roughly 300 miles on it. You need to talk to RunninRX1, it was completely covered by Yamaha as well.

Back