• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boosting the Phazer

Shoprat

Extreme
I was seriously looking into either supercharging my Phazer or adding a turbo until I talked to Hartman, he said in his experience the motors won't hold up. What kind of longevity have you guys with boosted Phazers experienced? I have a hard time dumping the $ if the rig won't hold up.

Keep the boost down and it will last just fine Ive heard of phazers running 12 lbs of boost with over 3,000 miles, go mcx turbo not supercharger.

It makes a difference when you put oil in the chain case after you regear! Didnt realize i had to check your work, sled rocks boosted not sure if i would go mcx though. Best of luck-i run 18lbs with 116 octane no head shim with a custom fuel delivery setup pm me if you have any q's!

Granahan378 said:
It makes a difference when you put oil in the chain case after you regear! Didnt realize i had to check your work, sled rocks boosted not sure if i would go mcx though. Best of luck-i run 18lbs with 116 octane no head shim with a custom fuel delivery setup pm me if you have any q's!

Why not mcxpress?

Its a good kit, but the adjustability is not its strong side, if you were to go with the mcx display unit along with the kit your able to change fuel maps and monitor other vital info. But for the price of the dislay unit i was able to go a totally different direction allowing for a entirely different efi/fuel system leaving the only thing mcx is the turbo and mount stuff along with the intercooler.

Granahan, you had tuning problems with the MCX kit? What efi kit are you running now?

Rideblue, can you elaborate on the boosted Phazer engine/drivetrain failures?

The sled runs a little sluggish at elevation with the head shim, mcx does not compensate for this mod and the system can only add so much fuel before its at its max with out changing the mapping or buying the 1k display/control unit. I now run MPI's fuel controller setup which is created both by them and pure logic which works great on the nytros. It has on the fly adjustability no computer is needed and makes life much easier-it adjusts just like a carb but digital, you adjust the low,mid and high end digitally and then it has 2 boost settings which allow you to add as much fuel needed when boost is reached. After the install it took me about 2 hrs to dial it in running 116 but needless to say it runs sweet now. Looking into different turbo setups and options now.
Kyle

The MC-X Fuel injection is a far superior system than the pure logic allowing you to run closed loop with the wide band oxygen sensor. It also has much more adjustability with an 8X8 fuel map working off of manifold air pressure and RPM not just low med and high. If you are serious about your sled and tuning it properly MC-X is the only way to go. The MC-X fuel injection box is manufactured by Mega Squirt which has several years of experience. If there was a better system out there I believe MC-X would use it as they are pretty serious about there horsepower, winning several dyno competitions with their combinations. Yes it costs more money but in my experience 99 times out of a 100 you get what you pay for. I have an Electromotive Tec 3 system on my race car which has even more fine tuning capabilities with a 16X16 fuel map and there is no way I would trade it for low med and high and that is for the most part on a very large cubic inch street engine not a high RPM high boost engine. Spend the extra bucks you will not be disappointed. There is also not much point on on the fly tuning because once it is set up it is set up. The MC-X also allows you to log all data from the ECA for 350 minutes which means you can run your sled download the log and see real data on how well it is working especially oxygen readings. I would not modify my fuel settings without this. The display unit also serves as a boost guage and can display several guages at once. Price out a wide band oxygen sensor and guage as well as a nice boost guage and you are looking at 500 bucks also.

Im not here to argue, i know when my sled runs better and well it runs better, by the way this is not just purelogic it was created with there help, there are 2 seperate controllers installed to all the same places as the mcx system giving me not just one box of adjustments but 2, and yes here adjusting on the fly is key, 8-14k feet elevations, -20 to +50 degree riding days are not out of the usual with in a week here.

I have ridden at all kinds of elevations and temperatures and have not had to make any adjustments. Does your kit have an oxygen sensor if not I wouldn't adjust anything on the fly. It's kind of like when you jet your sled till it feels like it has the most power and that happens to be when the engine is running too lean. With a proper injection system it will automaticaly compensate for temp and alt whch is why the MC-X has a barometric pressure sensor which increases boost with increased elevation and why it is tied into the manifold air temperature sensor. Even with 2 boxes of adjustment you still do not have amount of adjustability which the MC-X has. How much cash do you have in your two boxes and boost guage and wide band if you have one?

No the kit will no longer compensate and automatically adjust once you remove the headshim, put in a boost controller, and straight pipe out the end of the turbo. I have no issues with mcx i just feel there are other options out there. The reason i went this route is because the mcx box was remapped 3 times before i threw in the flag because of the hassle to get to the box each time and then im told if i spend another 1k it will work correctly no thanks.To each his own my friend.
DSCN0035.jpg

What was wrong with the stock box? What would the sled run like when the stock map wasnt working right? I run a power commander on top of my mcxpress kit and it works good. You can adjust the low mid and high fuel settings.

Last time I priced out pure logic boxes they were 400 bucks a pop you have two plus a wide band and a boost guage which the MC-X comes with, I guaretee you got more than a grand sitting there that doesn't perform as well as the MC-X struff. I had a friend buy pure logic for his polaris razr which he put a turbo on and is disappointed because he can't get enough adjustment out of it. That same guy has a 2400 horse race car and he wishes he would have spent the extra cash on the MC-X ECA and display unit. And yes the kit will still compensate without the head shim.

The display is currently $700.00.
As I did it, I know that your EFI box was only remapped 1 time.
I think the MCX display would have been the better way to go, but hopefully you have this setup figured out and have a great season.

Back