• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake Caliper worn out!!

ClutchMaster

HUGE Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper 270 hurricane,
2002 Viper W/162 A.C. skid, SRX pipes &CDI, 780 BB
BAE1F9FB-DC39-43E1-B175-BEE2F83EBCD5.jpeg
BA5F4B49-A67A-4461-B89A-1BDE2FB783CA.jpeg
So I’ve been doing maintenance and replacing the track. I decided to split the caliper and clean everything I found the Pistons in the caliper were worn prematurely from the pads being overly loose in the caliper. The surface on the caliper where the pad rides is worn severely causing the piston to rock in the bore scoring it pretty badly. You can see where the caliper pounded out the aluminum. Piston is scored also, I just forgot to take a pic.
Look at the pics you’ll see what I’m talking about. Most aluminum calipers have a stainless steel wear pad and double retention pin that prevents this.

Really? ......every time I turn around it’s some poor engineering on these machines.

I have original calipers on my 1996, 2000, and both 2002 sleds I own, all have a lot more miles!

Last edited:

How many miles?
Are you thinking that even if the brakes don't get used much, just simply vibrating there could be premature wear?

I’m sure Steve’s pads look new

How many miles?
Are you thinking that even if the brakes don't get used much, just simply vibrating there could be premature wear?

No it’s not really from vibration, it’s only worn on the braking side of the caliper. I will probably cut the pads down so I can fit a wear plate to the caliper......like it should have been done by yamaha.
I’m so tired of paying premium prices for disposable junk.

No it’s not really from vibration, it’s only worn on the braking side of the caliper. I will probably cut the pads down so I can fit a wear plate to the caliper......like it should have been done by yamaha.
I’m so tired of paying premium prices for disposable junk.
Instead of cutting pads cut the Caliper is enough material. Then add some nice stainless sliders. The race pads are bigger same Caliper just machined out to fit. Was going to do that to mine but dealer got my grooved Caliper warranted which was nice since it comes with new shaft bearing.

Back