• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Break in

I followed Yamaha's guidelines, keep the RPM's under 6000 for the first 500 km I believe, then keep it under 8000 RPM until 1000 km, change the oil and ride it!

brendan.9 said:
radianguy said:
I followed Yamaha's guidelines, keep the RPM's under 6000 for the first 500 km I believe, then keep it under 8000 RPM until 1000 km, change the oil and ride it!
How the f*** am i suppose to do that?
You can't that's 35mph....

I did 15min warm up....esay for the first few miles and then on and off the flipper for the next 300miles...lots of full throtle runs....just don't hold a steady RPM...works for me my sleds are always fast!!!

If you do a search on here their is a great article that explains both sides of the methods. Either hammer down or prance around. Every thing I have owned I have down varying throttle positions, on and off constantly. Just dont hold it wot for a long ars time. Ride hard and fast just not a lake/road run within the first 500 miles. After the first oil change and chaincase because of metal shavings, hammer down

Daranello said:
brendan.9 said:
radianguy said:

I did 15min warm up....esay for the first few miles and then on and off the flipper for the next 300miles...lots of full throtle runs....just don't hold a steady RPM...works for me my sleds are always fast!!!
Well Daranello that isn't a good arguement, mines fast too!

Daranello said:
[You can't that's 35mph....

brenden.9 i would suggest not topping it out your first ride. these 4 strokes are pretty solid but u cant go wrong with what the manual says.

Also several heat and cool cycles for the first few tank fulls. It will not only help in engine breakin but sliders and belt too.

radianguy said:
Daranello said:
brendan.9 said:
radianguy said:

114mph GPS STOCK, stock suspension stock everything and I'm 265lbs....not many stock Nytros can do that...also original sliders and belt

Daranello said:
radianguy said:
Daranello said:
brendan.9 said:
radianguy said:

114mph GPS STOCK, stock suspension stock everything and I'm 265lbs....not many stock Nytros can do that...also original sliders and belt
Mines all stock except for an MBRP exhaust, I saw 185km/h on speedo, GPS was 111-112mph. Same here for the slides and belt, 4000 km last winter.

sounds like daranello wins...in fact...his conditions looked to suck on the day he did that...

if you want to know the non warranty driven way...do a search for MOTOMAN BREAKIN and learn..

everytime Ive babied them they were pooch's..

sj said:
sounds like daranello wins...in fact...his conditions looked to suck on the day he did that...

if you want to know the non warranty driven way...do a search for MOTOMAN BREAKIN and learn..

everytime Ive babied them they were pooch's..
Yeap I did pretty much motoman....when I say get on it, I mean roll on it....like a slow squeeze of the throttle..bulding up the RPMs, then slowly backing off...

Also 185km on speedo is 110-111 GPS on mine.....I've seen 189pmh speedo, this year with mods (and the 40lbs weight loss) I'm trying to crack the 200km speedo wich will put me at 119mph GpS

No oil burn etheir....I,ve done both ways.....and they were always slugs if I did as per the manual

This came from guy that did the clutching for Yamaha when the Apex first came out. He is no longer with Yamaha, so I guess I can post this.

How we break in our sleds:
Get on a lake with a 1 mile stretch
4000 rpms for 15 minutes
5000 rpms for 15 minutes
6000 rpms for 15 minutes
7000 " "
8000 " "
9000 " "
10000 " "

Then rpms up/down this pattern- WOT 3 seconds then off to 5000rpm-WOT 3 seconds off to 5000rpms...continue this pattern for 15 minutes

Last: WOT for 15 minutes

Finished!!
Approx 100 to 125 miles and little over 2 hours.

Back