• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Max spool 16 & 8jp question

How do you like Blk/grn I found it a little aggressive for trail riding tight twisty. My Favourite one was Blk/red but I also was tuned for 270SS but thought work d good on my 240SS and my 300SS. Clutch’s got warm/hot on long pulls.
I do find it a bit snappy on the 240 tune, a little jerky in the tight twisty stuff but I didn't mind it. I dunno maybe i'll try the black /red and lower my secondary to 6-1 and try that. I have the cluster flash and find that switching to 270 it doesn't make hardly any difference from 240, in fact my sled feels more responsive in 240 than 270. The TP orange worked well for me with the 35/39 helix last year but when i bumped it to 270 it felt lazy and when i opened it up on the lake I destroyed an XS belt (first belt i've blown in 7000 miles) I feel that spring and helix combo was too light for the 270 tune. The idea of the tune bundle is appealing but as others have said it's difficult to set up a happy medium for all 3 tunes. I spend 90% of my time on 240 and clutch for that, the black orange at 6-2 feels very snappy and fun, it pulls like a freight train in the mid-range but the secondary being so hot is always in the back of my mind and makes me afraid to really open it up.

I do find it a bit snappy on the 240 tune, a little jerky in the tight twisty stuff but I didn't mind it. I dunno maybe i'll try the black /red and lower my secondary to 6-1 and try that. I have the cluster flash and find that switching to 270 it doesn't make hardly any difference from 240, in fact my sled feels more responsive in 240 than 270. The TP orange worked well for me with the 35/39 helix last year but when i bumped it to 270 it felt lazy and when i opened it up on the lake I destroyed an XS belt (first belt i've blown in 7000 miles) I feel that spring and helix combo was too light for the 270 tune. The idea of the tune bundle is appealing but as others have said it's difficult to set up a happy medium for all 3 tunes. I spend 90% of my time on 240 and clutch for that, the black orange at 6-2 feels very snappy and fun, it pulls like a freight train in the mid-range but the secondary being so hot is always in the back of my mind and makes me afraid to really open it up.
Yes my weight is different I had 78.6 grams in mine DTAY1 dalton 38/35 helix also header. The sled pulled hard I set up to run in between 270 and 300 tune only used 240 when running low on fuel to get to gas station lol. Now have new setup STM primary and secondary best move I made.

Finding that perfect clutching combination for engagement, mid range cruising, and correct rpms at WOT, takes a lot of component change outs and testing, which needs an available test spot! I enjoy a winder that gets OK mileage for trips, and works well at WOT or near, when wanted.

So hopefully a few tips may save someone from (chasing their tail) when attempting to find that all-around, different snow condition clutch set up.

Dalton weights with both stock primary & secondary springs, can get you your WOT rpm, but because loading or removing the weights, also effect engagement and mid, you may want to also buy Dalton springs. I find that 2800 < >, is my perfect spot. Loading my sled in the trailer with 3200 or higher can get tricky, and does nothing for hole shots on snow because of spin factors.

A Dalton 35/39 reverse helix will drop a bit of rpms at WOT, when compared to the stock 35.

Not all XS825 belts loose the same amount of rpms when comparing to stock 8jp. I've had some that loose 200-300 rpms until broken in, and then gain all but 100 or so after break in. Others just take away some rpm and keep it there.

I run a cheap set up with the MS16 3 bar. Just added a 1.5 gram washer to the tip weight, secondary wrap at 6/1, and swap out Helix, dependent on belt. 8950-9050 is where I like my WOT rpms. Ran out of fuel a couple of years ago, while returning to truck on a backpack weekend trip. Made it back to the truck and ran out of fuel as we prepared to load sleds in the trailer, 148 miles since my last fill up, and it took 9.8 gallons to fill if I remember correctly!

So yeah many thoughts and factors go in to that good for you clutching set up!

I agree! My set up is for good trail manners and fuel mileage. Fab and I both started on 6/2 on the sec and our mileage tanked from stock. At 6/1 it came back and better than stock. We rode the same trails together 2 weeks back to back for comparison. So everybody has there preferences and little thing can make a big difference.

I totally agree trail conditions and weather play a big roll in setup. My sled is setup perfect for my riding style,trails and long trips I do. Also get better fuel mileage than it was new. This is one reason I have a hard time buying a new one until I see some real change for me.

I totally agree trail conditions and weather play a big roll in setup. My sled is setup perfect for my riding style,trails and long trips I do. Also get better fuel mileage than it was new. This is one reason I have a hard time buying a new one until I see some real change for me.
Yup! That's why I wrapped mine this year! New sled again. Lol

Not yet! Did a take justinators last wrap. Had to cover some orange.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230102180309.png
    Screenshot_20230102180309.png
    992.4 KB · Views: 57
Lake conditions are down right nasty. With temps fluctuating between freezing and lack of snow, snow (solid) caps have formed all over the lakes. 1" cap feels like a 3" log. Plus open holes, etc.
I was able to break in the 8jp and spin motor to 8950. Feels promising!
Switched to XS825 and while breaking it in, I decided to call it quits.
I took more of a pounding than it's worth.

I'll take all advice given...and share next time.

For what it's worth. 100miles yesterday, evenly split between 8jp & XS825
8jp is noticeably more responsive down low in slower tight trail conditions.

For what it's worth. 100miles yesterday, evenly split between 8jp & XS825
8jp is noticeably more responsive down low in slower tight trail conditions.
8jp will be that way if you are dialed in clutch wise for that, but once you reclutch for the 825 it will act the same then as 8jp.

Back