• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

Eight Tons done, ninth in work, shopping for tenth.

Attachments

• 8 (Small).jpg
    8 (Small).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 7 (Small).jpg
    7 (Small).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 6 (Small).jpg
    6 (Small).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 5 (Small).jpg
    5 (Small).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 4 (Small).jpg
    4 (Small).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 3 (Small).jpg
    3 (Small).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 2 (Small).jpg
    2 (Small).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 1 (Small).jpg
    1 (Small).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 126
Un-tonning

Started the project finally to un-ton my 03! Big thx to Kachess, Frostbite, Trxster, Jonny Rocket, and everyone else for posting their info on here, was a huge help and gave great ideas!!! Will post a few pics, but essentially did rider-forward mod (ala Wild Child kit, fit perfectly!) w/ 2" riser, under tunnel exhaust, Boss seat, and Hartman extension.

Still need to install the 153 M7 skid (was missing a bushing, and my drop brackets weren't in yet), got the 7 tooth 3" pitch CNC extro's in, putting a 162 x 2.25 x 15 Challenger in. Also will be putting in a bark buster front end w/ floats.

All that, coupled with the MPI battery and ppd skis last year which I put on, should hopefully get me to around a 90# drop. Can't wait to finish it and then get it on some snow to see how it runs! Just standing on it, though, love the way the rider forward feels... think it will be much more responsive boondocking/climbing.

Nomad

Attachments

• Nomad one ton before.JPG
    Nomad one ton before.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Nomad exhaust 1.JPG
    Nomad exhaust 1.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Nomad one ton during.JPG
    Nomad one ton during.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Nomad likey.JPG
    Nomad likey.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 145
headlight/windshield crap

Yeah, have thought about that and probably should just out of the gate do it, but wanted to keep the brighter lights for if/when I am out at night, as well as try to keep a bit o' wind off.

Now, if/when I roll it and break the lights/plastic, well, will probably pull the rest off then and go with Kachess' patent fig leaf and fog light setup. :)

Powder Nomad, I love the "Fig Leaf" term for using an old windshield for covering up the ahem.... less than attactive area forward of the handlebars once the light pod is removed.
Your sled looks great but I'm with you. I'll leave my stock light pod on the sled until it gets cracked or broken because I frankly like at least little bit of wind protection and it's tough to beat those stock headlights for a night time ride.

What next?

Great job

Frosty

Re: headlight/windshield crap

Powder Nomad said:
Yeah, have thought about that and probably should just out of the gate do it, but wanted to keep the brighter lights for if/when I am out at night, as well as try to keep a bit o' wind off.

Now, if/when I roll it and break the lights/plastic, well, will probably pull the rest off then and go with Kachess' patent fig leaf and fog light setup. :)

If you are considering taking it off do it now because it's really easy to sell the pod and lights etc in the swap meet but once they are broken they're worth nothing. I went with the Mountain Mod windshield, direct bolt on and tough like crazy and it weighs less than 1 pound .

Rx1m5

Powder Nomad, damn you look like you could bench press a stock "ton". Once you get that 90# taken off watch out so you don't trow it right out from under you while carving ;)! .

Jim

I did not want to mess with the tank cover and keep the stock look but after reading all of your reports I just called wildchild for the kit. I have a boss seat that should be here any day. The only thing left is the front shocks, I read somewhere about stronger spring 2.3 I think, or fox and snow.
I had to post because I do not know if powder nomad's sled is turbo or not but he is. You want him around when you accidently stick one of these!

Turbo? The sled? Not yet... ;-) would love to throw a SC in there, we'll see... Me turbo? Nah, just a corn fed Iowa boy. Well, uh, a corn fed beef Iowa boy.

Hey Jim... am sure you don't remember me, but my wife and I (and a few buddies in another cabin) stayed across the road at Buns n Beds in Cooke over New Years of, uh, 02/03 I think (you were in the Sinclair cabin). Snow was armpit deep that New Years... I was driving a Pol 00 700 RMK w/ an 800 XCR motor in it at the time, and you'd just gotten the RX-1. Over the years it's been cool to see what you've done w/ your sled... amazing platform from which to build! :4STroke: :)

One of the friends which I was with in Cooke is helping me on this project... once we get it finished up (barkbuster front end, fox floats, and the skid installed) will throw some more pics up. :rocks:

Rod

p.s. said friend and I are gonna be in Cooke 12/19 - 12/22 staying at Sinclair (Biggdawg crew on their calendar)... if anyone's gonna be around, stop by and say howdy and we can go in search of powder! ;)!

Hey Powder Nomad...What seat do you have on your sled? It looks great! We have three guys looking for a good-looking lightweight seat for their tons but the $500 boss price tag is killing them. Your sled looks great, too. When I see a heavy headlight pod sticking up there a rush of painful memories of my first year wrastling my Ton come rushing back. I can't help it. Same thing with the silhouette of a stock rx-1 seat or a smoked plastic powder fairing. Excess, excess. Lift a hood with the pod, and then without, you can't put it back on. And it's not a choice of a headlight or no headlight; the fog lights honestly work fine.

If you guys don't mind trimming down the tank cover you can move the tank and seat a good 2" back if you have a under the seat exhaust, that really helps to balance the sled after you take all the weight out of the back end.

seat

Hey Kachess... thanks, yeah... I'm real happy w/ how the seat looks on there too. Unfortunately, it's one of them $500 boss seats. :-/ Ordered it in the spring and got it mid-summer. It has the little row of LED lights on back, storage pocket, etc... Also it sits a lot higher, I bet it's 3" taller than stock, very nice when I put my knee on it now. If the seat proves durable (should), I'll be more than happy w/ it and think it's worth the $500.

Nomad

I'm running the same seat mine has the shovel pouch and a Nitrous pocket. Powder Nomad you might seriously want to consider boost, you gotta be like what 260 or so. Another buddy of mine is a huge bas**rd too and all he eats is beef. Must be somthing to that I guess. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to my mom and eaten all my vegetables after all. LOL

Rx1M5

Attachments

• IMG_1294 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1294 (Small).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 113
So what about front shocks? Have you guys found a good answer? Thinking floats but 700.00 a lot. It looks from most pic. you have stock shocks.
I have the sway bar unhooked and stock shocks maxed out with the spring adjustment. I like it but it needs stiffer springs at least. let off the throttle in the rough and you can bottom out. rolls to much to outside if off throttle and in corner.
If i'm in the turbo who needs shocks! Just sucks when you do let off the boost at those times! Any thoughts?

Back