• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

Jonny Rocket said:
Frostbite said:
Kachess, do you have any new updates to your mod list for the upcoming 07-08 riding season? I just went through the list again and I'm amazed at how much you have done for everyone.

When you buy a new sled. I want to find out what you buy and get the same thing!

I know you say the mods must be done as a set to most effective. I completely understand the reasoning behind this but, is it possible to keep the headlight pod when doing the rider forward mod if a short windshield is used? Those of us who ride a fair amount of trails need it for the wind protection and stock strength lighting for night rides.

Take it easy

Frosty

I am in the same boat. Actually Frosty and I might do the mod at the same time but want to keep the headlights and most of the windshield if at all possible. Has anyone done this?

J

I have installed the wildchild ride forward kit, 06 nytro windshield, mountain mod tankcowl and kept the OEM headlights pod. Works great,but not much wind protection!

TT

TT - Please send me some pics of your install

I did the rider forward install and used a shorter windshield, kept the stock light pod for the same reasons as Frosty. Here's a couple of photos.

DSC_0021Medium.jpg

DSC_0020Small.jpg

DSC_0025Medium.jpg

DSC_0024Medium.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. That's what I'm talking about! It looks like you used a two inch riser in addition to the Wild Child replacement steering column, right?

Do the handlebars hit the windshield without the riser?

How high is too high if a guy has to do any trail riding? I don't particularly like ape hangers on Harley's either but, in the powder they have their place. I guess now with my Boss high rise seat I'll be up there in the wind anyway.................

Frosty

I have a 2 inch riser with the wild child steering column. I wouldn't go anymore than 2 inch, unless you stand all the time.

Never tried it without the riser. I'd bet the windshield would have to be trimmed a little.

I ride trails on and off. We don't have a lot of mountains around here. With the wild child and the 2 inch riser and my old seat, the bars felt a little to high. I have since bought an Apex seat and pulled the bars back a bit and the position is great.

I have the 6" riser with the wild child set up. I'm 6'2" and stand most of the time so it works great. When I sit, it looks like I'm riding a Harley with ape hangers. I just need pegs on the side to rest my feet now when I am sitting.

Sorry forgot,

I left the head light pod on for night riding, but I did trim my wind shield right down. I will try and dig my sled out and take pictures in the next week. I still owe Jigger pictures of my exhaust.

I'm sure someone has a couple mods that could be added to the list of "Must Have" items for a RX-1M?

I'll let you know how the 162" x 2 1/2" x 16" Camo Extreme works under the sled.

What about the timing advance mod that a bunch of us did a year or so back? Has anyone else tried it on a mountain RX-1? I'll post a link to the mod.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

What about relocating the battery under the seat to remove even more weight from the front end? I've had mine mounted very low in the front of the sled where Kachess shows on this post for years but maybe it's time to think about moving that weight to the back of the sled?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense; pay big bucks for a light weight Boss seat and then mount a battery in it! :ORC

Powder Blue

Here are some photos of our Turbo after our mods. We paid $6300 for the sled. Swapped out an Attack 20 track for a Challenger, rider forward mod ($52), Battery relocate (free), turned exhaust down ($16), recovered seat ($63), sold/traded lightweight, wide front for stock front end (+$200) and a wide band air/gas sensor ($244). As soon as I sell the 162in attack 20 I think we will be into it for less than $6500. Can't wait for snow.

Attachments

• 10-07-07 Turbo Done 001 (Small).jpg
    10-07-07 Turbo Done 001 (Small).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 10-07-07 Turbo Done 011 (Small).jpg
    10-07-07 Turbo Done 011 (Small).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 10-07-07 Turbo Done 003 (Small).jpg
    10-07-07 Turbo Done 003 (Small).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 10-07-07 Turbo Done 009 (Small).jpg
    10-07-07 Turbo Done 009 (Small).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 152
rx1

looks good Kachess you should get a bigger air filter for the turbo and stick it out back and you will notice a huge differnce in performance

kachess, sled looks good...I picked up the same tunnel that I am installing in the next couple of weeks with an mxcpress rear mount with a blacked out apex skid.

I rebuilt the massive mpi brackets due to the location of the different skid. It looks like your holtz and apex skids are int very similar locations

Attachments

• Tunnel 1.jpg
    Tunnel 1.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 118
Awesome thread, even somewhat entertaining at times! Out of the box, my RX-1 had me retiring from mountain sledding(and I just started). But now I'm not sure I would trade it for anything current. It does require some tinkering, I love the shop time though(don't mind the whiskey too). The must have mods have been listed, here's my order of need. 1. Skid & skis (lighter, transfer) 2. Rider Forward (and new bars) 3. Filter Kit and Clutching (big power difference) 4. Anything Lightweight (exhaust/seat/battery/front end). My sled was about the shop time and riding experience and I think the Yamaha RX-1 was the right sled. It's not about highmarking for us, it's about the riding experience (and hot tubbin' and beers at the days end). Going places and seeing things we would normally not see, and the challenges of getting there (fresh powder). Lots of sleds can highmark me, I have my moments. But I have yet to be towed down, I have yet to run out of fuel and have replaced three rear bumpers from towing others out. It's a blast, Kachess and his buddies know what I am talking about. We should applaude him for his efforts not question or criticize. We all could have bought the newest lightest mountain machines out there and spent more time in the dealers shop than ours. But I would rather ride a reliable, full-efficient torque monster!

Back