• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

I am sure

I am sure that once you ride something with as much power as a turbo rx1 you will want to ride it in the powder too and the poor M7 will sit in the garage. That would be me anyway, I am a power addict though. If you have trouble throwing the RX1 around go ahead and go to Cat, pussy!!! JK I am just messing with you AARON, they all make a decent sleds in my opinion I just have my favorite, my theory is it doesnt matter what you ride, its that you ride. Good luck on your M7

:4STroke: :yam:

My whole point Yamahaboy...........you can make them work for a PRICE! What is a Holz skid....$1500? The sled can be made to work, but it is spendy, time consuming and they are still heavy when done. You can't argue that!

Aaron

AaronBND said:
We have many RX-1's going up for sale around here for the $3500 range. I just missed one a few days ago by a couple hours in Seattle that the guy let go for $2800. It only had 900 miles on it! Was on Craigslist. My plan is to just be patient and find a really good deal on one maybe this summer and then turbo it. I would love to have the option of a M7 for bottomless days and a turboed RX for the other days. Don't worry, I won't leave you guys! You guys are awesome.....

Aaron

Aaron , you got it all wrong , on the bottomless days a 300 hp sled will go anywhere you want ,and the m7 will be sitting at the bottom of the hill .

AaronBND said:
My whole point Yamahaboy...........you can make them work for a PRICE!

Aaron

No Tim.....you missed the point! The turbo is more than you can buy the whole sled for nowdays!

Aaron

Aaron has a point. Not all of us can just 5 grand at a drop of a hat and boost your sled. None the less I love my vector and have always been a yamaha rider and I will probably never change that. Even though there is not a Yammi dealer that is worth !@#$% up here. As it is I still can not hit my rpms with empty weights in the primary.

Bought No.7 this weekend. Thanks LFM, up in BC. Not sure if I'll pass it on to a few buddies still looking for one, or keep it as a back-up. Was reading some of Aarons last posts and I had to chime in. I returned from Revelstoke last week, riding with buddies on a 07 XRS doo, 06 doo 800 with EZ Ryde, Slp kit (162hp), NOS, Boss seat, fox floats, and Holz Front, and an 06 doo1000 with a 162. I rode my ole horse with 6100miles on it but now a 159 track. Last year the guy with the 06 800 was highmarking me in McCall in bottomless powder with his sled in stock form. This year, in deep snow and big hills my sled (with a 159) consistantly outclimbed every sled for 3 days straight (all other riders weighed between 180 and 230#). We ventured into "turtle" and threw ourselves at a big, steep, untouched hill. All the stock 07 doos (musta been 15 of them at the bottom of the hill) and M7's ,8's were turning out. Not one topped it. M1000's topped it, one stuck it (rider error), My buddy with the Mod 800 climbed it in tracks, and the turbo Apexes made it look like childs play, getting air while cresting the top. I ground up it every time in fresh. My buddy was pissed, and the doo guys kept quizing him on whether I had a turbo or super. The mod 800 has incredible power, but wants to stand on it's tail and sink. Every rev wanted to do the same thing when climbing. I was stuck less, (a doo 1000 feels twice the weight of a light RX1 when stuck), all three doos rolled and flipped at times. Some times going down rutted chutes, sometimes turning out. One guy dislocated his shoulder. The Doo XRS dropped it's "y" pipe in the pan at 300 miles. I've ridden M7's and they are light and nimble, but they feel like my ole phazer when it comes to puttng power to the ground. Lots of buzzing sound but no pull. Bottom line....I still like my Ton. I got a new Ton. I hope to make this one a mountain animal for under $5K. I do think if Yamaha wants to keep converts they're going to have to turn out a stock mountain sled that is under 632# dry. What an embarassment.

Attachments

• 02-09-07 Manastash Ride 006 (Small).jpg
    02-09-07 Manastash Ride 006 (Small).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 02-13-07 No. 7 Ton New 002 (Small).jpg
    02-13-07 No. 7 Ton New 002 (Small).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 165
Kachess you know that and I know that so let's delete this thread and keep it quiet so we can buy Rx's for 10 cents on the dollar. I marked lots of sleds last year as well lightened with a Maverick 162, now with turbo it's no contest.
I may look for second and keep it normally aspirated. I should have bought the one you just picked up.

Rx1M5

Kachess,

Love the sled :Rockon: I admire you ability to create a more efficient mountain machine without having to add a turbo.

It's sad to see her with another owner... Atleast she went to a good home that will take care of her and ride her to her limits.

Kachess...be good to her.

LFM

LFM, from what you have already done to this sled it looks like Joel's job will be much easier this time around!

Nice job!

I'm sure your sled will be treated respectfully and be used to convert even more folks to the fourstroke side of the house. Thank you for your great donation to the evolution of snowmobiles everywhere.

Frosty

Holtzman carb springs?

I was wondering what springs you are using? The bread box air box would that be like stock for the spring chart or modified air box? Thanks for all the GREAT posts you R The Man!! :Rockon: I am looking forward to tearing into my sled this summer and getting it trimmed down some more.
Thanks again.

AaronBND said:
My whole point Yamahaboy...........you can make them work for a PRICE! What is a Holz skid....$1500? The sled can be made to work, but it is spendy, time consuming and they are still heavy when done. You can't argue that!

Aaron

My Ekholm was only $2275 :Rockon:

Oh well. i have the money to myself now. Im getting boost and some challenger extremes. This NA stuff is killing me.

Ok, they climb well when well modded, but it stay, that i'm twice a tired than people with light 2 strokes. They are'nt great machine for all type of playground. Big hill with lot of space and relativly low bump, where you can get a good swing, they goes really well. Once the terrain start to be like a Supercross track, they loose there ability. And stuck, they, even with 80 pound less, need 3 to 4 persons to get them unstuck.

Honestly, mine keep up with a good 800 summit rev 151, not all the time, but most of the time. This year a lot of great sleds has shown up on the market, even the 151 summit look like a toy vs the M8 162 or a dragon rmk 155. I'm agree about one point, if you buy a used sled and modded it, its a great deal, but if you bought her new (like me) isn't a so good move. But i love the fact that those sled have a so nice motor, way stonger than a 800, not in term of max HP, but overall, bottom, mid and top. They run with 80 $ belt that dont broke (4000 km with my last one, about 150 km trail riding) they dont use oil when fixed (1 season without a drop of oil with the 05 ring 4000 km) Yesterday, we took lake for the way back to the truck, maybe 20 km of lake all over. And WOT for about 18 km, no overheating, no weird sound, no heat on the clutch. If you wait that the sled broke to change her, good chance that you will keep her for a couple of year. 14000 km of hillclimbing, WOT on lake in deep snow, off trail riding, some nice day in spring at 15°c and over with a lot of abuse, only preventive maintenance, grease, chaincase oil, bearing change. And motor run even stronger than before 5000 km. We can do great mountain sled with N.A rx-1 for sure. But, the 50 more lbs that the motor weight will always be there. Mine weight 628 lbs wet. But still too front heavy.

Mine is for sale, i will probably ride a 2 strokes next years. Cause of this is the type of terrain we got. Dense wood, lot of bumpy hill (powerline) and technic and lot of snow.

Back