• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

AaronBND said:
Kachess said:
Bingo.

I've ridden with M7's, M8's, RT 1000's, 07 800 xrs, 06 800 rev with 159, king cats, and the 07 doo super sled with 200hp w/nos, over the past four days in bottomless powder and my sled (and son's) were uncontested highmarkers, period. Our weight helps, but the sleds rock. Number 7 will be done Friday and we're headed to McCall for a week. Took some video the past couple of days and will have to get it posted.

So I'm sure with all the video you always take, you will have no problem showing us. Right? I find this really hard to believe! No offense.

Aaron

Thats what im thinking. i hate to doubt you and i know i talk my sled down a lot, but i do know the limits of a 145hp 4 stroke. less power and more weight than those sleds and you are "uncontested" when highmarking makes things hard to believe!

I'm a newbie BUT!!

No offense Aaron and SoCo. I think with all the vid's and all the work that Kach's has done to,,,, What 6 going on 7!!!! RX Tons's and the mods done.
I think the sleds are set up and they have logged a lot miles on them and they can ride and are not real big guy's weight wise. If like he said they are riding with guys that are 100lbs more then them and that to me = things out and their sleds are set up!! I dont think twice about the statement!! :die
I know I am working on all the mods they have done except for the rear skid and I'm running the 159'' all billet mountain master from Mountain Addiction. It rocks huge differance need to set it up right and you will be happy! I am 3 away!!! 1) Seat (R&M Lighting Axcess for the storage!!)
2) rider forward Wildchild(cause I am enept on welding and fabing!!),3) under tunnel glass pac! (this summer have the glass pac) I have the powermadd w/ 07 Apex mt. bars and 4" riser better but I think the Wildchild is better from all I have read and guys that have had both, I'll tell you next year! Sorry so long but I feel a sled that is set up and good rider over comes a lot!! Keep it up Kach!! You Guy's Rock and Thanks for all the posts , Vid's, I know you have helped me and countless others.
Have a blast riding next week and tear em up!!!!! ;)!

Re: I'm a newbie BUT!!

powergrazer said:
No offense Aaron and SoCo. I think with all the vid's and all the work that Kach's has done to,,,, What 6 going on 7!!!! RX Tons's and the mods done.
I think the sleds are set up and they have logged a lot miles on them and they can ride and are not real big guy's weight wise. If like he said they are riding with guys that are 100lbs more then them and that to me = things out and their sleds are set up!! I dont think twice about the statement!!

HUH????

I know I am working on all the mods they have done except for the rear skid and I'm running the 159'' all billet mountain master from Mountain Addiction. It rocks huge differance need to set it up right and you will be happy! I am 3 away!!! 1) Seat (R&M Lighting Axcess for the storage!!)
2) rider forward Wildchild(cause I am enept on welding and fabing!!),3) under tunnel glass pac! (this summer have the glass pac) I have the powermadd w/ 07 Apex mt. bars and 4" riser better but I think the Wildchild is better from all I have read and guys that have had both, I'll tell you next year! Sorry so long but I feel a sled that is set up and good rider over comes a lot!! Keep it up Kach!! You Guy's Rock and Thanks for all the posts , Vid's, I know you have helped me and countless others.
Have a blast riding next week and tear em up!!!!! ;)!

Walk-the-walk, where's these video's??? I just got rid of one with ALL of these mods and I will tell you right now, their is no way in h*ll that it could of highmarked all these sleds listed. I'm 180lbs!

Aaron

I can believe an M7 and an M8. they arent all that amazing. I have highmarked an M7 before, even with my trench monster track. With the little more mods he has done than me i could see an M8 being highmarked by him. I just know that i have seen an XRS, RT 1000, loads of 800 revs, and a King Cat climbing, and there wasnt any chance my sled would even be close to them on the hill.

This is why i am getting boost. So i can compete with those sleds, because my sled in its current configuration wont even come close.

Hill without too many bump am right with a Rev 800 151 (2005) but Dragon or RmK 600 155 or M8 162, not even a chance, even if they let off the throttle. Its a track length reason, weight and ability to get on top of the snow. But put some hazzard in the hill, and its another game where i CAN'T compete.

Rider makes all the difference in my opnion, I have riden with Cody and Dustin (Outlaw Motersports) for 4 or 5 years and either one can get on my sled and out do me on my own sled anyday of the week, highmark boondock what ever..... (kinda sucks cuz I concider myself a pretty decent rider)

In an effort not turn what started out as an informative and useful thread into a total dick measuring contest all I will say is last year before I turboed I spanked a whole bunch of different sleds including 800 Rev about 5 different 800 Poo's a couple of 162 KK's. If you have the right track and you have properly dealt with the suspension issue which means addressing the approach angle not just moving some shocks around on the skidframe it is no problem. Clutching is huge on these as well the difference between 9800 and say 10,400 rpm is big. At 10,400 you just won't pull this motor down before most of the 2 strokes have bowed out, you won't be moving very fast but you'll still be moving and it'll help your track speed.

Flat out Kachess's formula works mostly because of the weight reduction, rider forward, and the proper skid configuration. You HAVE to give this sled a chance to get on top of the snow which means good approach angle, good front arm location including correct spring compression, deep paddles and a 16 incher. When I built my sled I did a drop and roll which also helps in all of these areas but we just put a 153 Cat skid in my buddies Bender turbo sled, no D&R and a 159x16 and it is a whole new sled. It actually feels lighter in the front end than mine mostly due to the fact that there is no roll pushing the front arm further back in the chassis. I built my sled anticipating the turbo and the D&R helps with the wheelie issue. He never even rode his sled without the rider forward, I mean why would you?

I'll say it again do the mods as stated, ALL of them, no substitutions, no deviations then compare. The smallest things will add up. An Apex seat is not a Boss seat or a Mountain mod seat, there's a reason why guys get rid of those Apex seats its not because they are low its because they weigh a ton, a modded Yami skid,Eckholm, Mountain addiction, Poo, whatever is not a Holz or M7. If you compare the Holz and M7 they are very similar in dimension, rail design etc and they work for the geometry of the Rx1. Light weight front end is more than Ti springs. Performance is won in ounces not Lbs. If all you had to do was remove the factory installed cement block from under the seat everybody would do it.

Lastly IMHO the rider forward is the single best mod for the RX1 BUT if you are a sit down rider then it's not for you. If you are sitting on your seat anytime other than when you are eating lunch you're in the wrong forum. What you are building here is a balanced package not just a bunch of cool parts slapped on that may or may not work together.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 said:
modded Yami skid,Eckholm, Mountain addiction, Poo, whatever is not a Holz or M7.

You are right. my Ekholm is not an M7 suspension. it is a suspension that constantly highmarks and outruns on hardpack, my other sled with an M7 suspension. The Ekholm is an awesome suspension, just like the Holz. The 2 are by far the best suspensions you can buy when you want to spend a pretty penny.

I agree with everything said, BUT.... what got this thread going this other direction a few pages back, if you remember right, is that doing all of this STUFF costs a lot of money!! That's what it's been about all along! These sleds work great w/ all these mods, but you have to really pay to get them there. How much do you have invested in your sled right now Rx1M5??? Be honest! 12-14K?? At least! It has never been a bash session wether these are good sleds, it's been about what it costs to get them there out-of-the-box! And without being turboed........I just cannot see one of these highmarking everything on the hill! Sorry!

Aaron

This thread is not about what I have in my sled you're right I got like 12-14 k maybe more but I'm talking about a normally aspirated RX1 here. The title of the thread is a sled for $6500.00. That's how much it costs $6500.00 to do one of these like Kachess has done 6 times. $6500.00 is the price, if you make expensive substitutions $6500.00 is not the price. These mods are not expensive ones, sure you can spend more but you don't need to. You can't buy a new sled for that and the Rx will be running long after the 2 stroke is dead and gone.

No disrespect intended but as for the Eckholm and it's price well you can have it, I think in the end you will find your trenching problems are not only related to the Attack 20. I know lots of guys who have gotten out of that skid for that very reason. How a skid performs on hardpack is basically unrelated to what it does in bottomless powder, that's why trail sleds are coupled and mountain sleds are not.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 said:
How a skid performs on hardpack is basically unrelated to what it does in bottomless powder, that's why trail sleds are coupled and mountain sleds are not.

Rx1M5

Which is why i said it highmarks my M7 skid all day... Hardpack and powder it runs. My Skid is now setup nicely for a NA sled and does not trench very much at all. On a steep climb it still keeps the skis on the snow and my approach angle is the same as my M7 suspension.

I will have to set up the suspension again next year for Boost riding but it is an awesome suspension so i will stick with it.

Four sleds (RT1000, 06 doo 800 159, 07 800 doo X-RS 151, 06 Doo 800 151 w/slp kit and NOS) pull into an untouched sloping valley on Monday with 4 feet of powder and one by one fly at the slope and and pull the highests and steepest sidehill up the valley in untouched. Your line is 40 feet above the rest and makes it the entire height. Others turn out. They fly back at it but can't match it. You throw yourselves at another steep hill. Each sled catapults up the track, going slightly higher each run, until they are just arching over in basicly the same track. You run up the track, break through, and put a line 30 feet highter,and no one can match it. At times other sleds break over a nob first, other guys get some good lines and have some good climbs, but at the end of the day everyone knows which sled was climbing better. People scratch their head, attribute it to our weight, say it's cause it's a "mod sled" and their's are stock (with a pipe, can, and airshocks, of course). Believe it or not, I don't care. People ride with us they either start looking for a used Ton, or at least acknowledge the sled. The X-RS blew his 6th belt in 700 miles and was livid; the last 2 after having his clutch recall work done.

I agree...lets make a another "RX-Ton don't climb" pissing thread.

Sorry to see what has happend to a thread that was suppose to help us RX-1M owners out - Kachess sharing of mods with the rest of us TY menbers did n't deserve this!

Can this thread be split/edited up to two threads by the forum moderator?

sled

Kachess i thinks amazing what you have been able to make these machine do without putting alot of money into them. I know i would like to build one up for jumping . Keep up the good work dude

Back