• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bulkhead, replace or weld?

This is how far my buddy's taken this down to
What do you guys think? Is this really necessary or is there an easier way?
Certainly more than a couple of hours!

Attachments

• tear down.jpg
    tear down.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 165

I replace my left side bulk head without removing the motor. The dealer and used parts place said it was not possible, but it did come apart and assembled ok...my only mistake was when I drilled out the rivets, I hit the water pump housing with the rivit stub when I punched it out and it cracked the housing (I had this part welded). Anyway, lots of rivets. Another learning was rivet gun. I purchased a pnuematic rivit gun but it worked so fast, it would not pull the parts in before sheeting...so hand rivet gun worked best.

Good Luck....

This type of repair could also be done like aircraft crack repair. I've done many.
Like ekmoor stated about gun not pulling sheets together tight. This step is done with cleco clamps. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... roduct=645.
You use cleco clamps in all open rivot holes, then rivot tight one hole at a time.
Removing clamps as you go.
If multiple panels are difficult to pull together, they also have cleco clamps with wing nuts to force panels together.

This caught on later with Nascar as a standard in building aluminum skin assemblies.

I would prefer to use aircraft rivots as well.
Solid aluminum bucking type.
This is done with small airhammer and hand held solid steel bucking bar that deforms rivot on the back side.

Advantage is not just a tight fit of sheets, but the hole is filled solid, and can be flush face on the outside.

The typical problem with pop rivots is the aluminum nail breaking before full pull is performed. Poor choice.
SS rivots are a better choice for pulling by hand or gun and nail breaks at the best pull.

I noticed corrosion on some rivots on my machine. A better choice will be used if I get that far.

Aircraft pop rivots are available. A good source http://www.hansonrivet.com/ to see the best options.

i used AVEX Alu/steel rivet 3/16, from Avdel-textron. But am not sure that it will be enough.

i know Yamaha used Stavex Steel/steel rivet, but they came loose quickly, they dont fill the hole really well, its why i used AVEX, they fill the hole better.

Is someone already used those rivets ?

thanks

Looks like I get to do a bulkhead

What are used ones going for? Not as bad as I thought new but I really dont want to spend that much.

Any special tools needed?

Do I have to remove both the left and right? Its sounds like I do but I thought somebody had found a way to do it without removing both.

Back