• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buried my rhino while working on snowmobile trails (pics)

shanksyamaha

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Well my buddy and I were out clearing out some snowmobile trails with the snowmobile club.. After we were done working with them we wen't and took another trail on our own to make sure it was passable for sleds. Well on our way back I failed to notice a small bridge covered in snow and fell off the side of it and got the rhino buried... I had just gotten my winch back from warranty work and it would not work. I was pissed to say the least.. We ended up having to walk 4 miles in snow to our knees and sometimes mud to our #*$&@ to get out to the road. Then hitchhike home.. It was awful... I left my rhino, both my chain saws and all the other stuff in the woods. The next day when we went back to retrieve the rhino and all the other stuff it had frozen into the ground rock solid. It took us over 2 hours to free it up and get it out but we managed to do it with the help of a come-along. needless to say, I'll be sending my winch back again.... If it would have worked, we would have been fine....

15941_254289478288_658063288_4493452_1421811_n.jpg

15941_254289483288_658063288_4493453_7104701_n.jpg

15941_254306093288_658063288_4493600_5544041_n.jpg

15941_254306103288_658063288_4493601_6665830_n.jpg

15941_254334748288_658063288_4493817_6213217_n.jpg

15941_255341763288_658063288_4500001_1327291_n.jpg

15941_255341773288_658063288_4500002_7684519_n.jpg

15941_255375718288_658063288_4500085_2767322_n.jpg

If it's a warn winch they've had many problems. I've been running a superwinch for the past five years with no problems. I'm not impressed with the price or quality of a warn atv winch.

Its a gorilla winch. Cheaper than a warn. Everything I read about them was good, It worked great for me too until I sent it in for warranty work. Now its not working right at all...

Scheidl said:
just a minor pot hole!

LOL... Yup nuthin too it.. We put an entire tree in the hole trying to get traction and it just sunk out of site... I have a guy who works for polaris bet me $500 that a polaris ranger would go right throught that hole. He tried to tell me yamahas are only 3 wheel drive. I explained that yamahas are the only atv with true diff. lock 4X4 but he works for polaris so he knows everything. LOL. I told him Id take him up on the bet, Id even raise it to $1000 if he thinks a stock ranger will get through... NEVER HAPPEN...

shanksyamaha said:
Scheidl said:
just a minor pot hole!

LOL... Yup nuthin too it.. We put an entire tree in the hole trying to get traction and it just sunk out of site... I have a guy who works for polaris bet me $500 that a polaris ranger would go right throught that hole. He tried to tell me yamahas are only 3 wheel drive. I explained that yamahas are the only atv with true diff. lock 4X4 but he works for polaris so he knows everything. LOL. I told him Id take him up on the bet, Id even raise it to $1000 if he thinks a stock ranger will get through... NEVER HAPPEN...

Just keep the official Polaris tow vehicle near by. He'll need it when he blows a belt.

LOL. thats what I said. He went on a little speel about how I was misinformed and polaris was such a great machine. I told him he was the one who was misinformed. I was speaking from experience. He was just restateing what polaris had told him, and they had totally mislead him. I told him to do some research then come back when he had his facts straight..

the polaris up until this year has never had 4 wheel drive going down hill either! The only time the front tires kick in is when the rear wheels spin.
I have lots of friends with rangers, they don't seem to have belt problems but then again they don't realy mud them.
My Teryx has true 4 wheel drive when i engage the front diff lock!!

That's a good hole. I actually bought a second winch this winter. I have a warn multi mount when I bought the Rhino. I bought a second winch Titan winch Canadian design made in China and mounted permeant to the front. After seeing those photos I feel better about having two winches. I have played in similar areas as that by my self.

Jigger said:
That's a good hole. I actually bought a second winch this winter. I have a warn multi mount when I bought the Rhino. I bought a second winch Titan winch Canadian design made in China and mounted permeant to the front. After seeing those photos I feel better about having two winches. I have played in similar areas as that by my self.

Yes you definately cant go wrong with an extra winch. These things aren't like quads. You get an atv stuck you might get it out, you get one of these big boys buried and your done. I never had an issue with the winch until I sent it in for warranty work. Still waiting to hear from gorilla on this issue...

I heard today that a groomer fell through in a swamp here in burnett county. It was a nice newer john deere with the 4 tracks set up. I guess it sank all the way up to the seat.

sleddingfarmer said:
I heard today that a groomer fell through in a swamp here in burnett county. It was a nice newer john deere with the 4 tracks set up. I guess it sank all the way up to the seat.

Ouch.. That sucks. We had something like that happen here about 8 years ago where a groomer fell through a swamp and the snowmobile club had to get an excavator to get it out. Lucky it wasnt too far from a road so it was easy to get the excavator in but it ruined that trail for a while..... and the guys who were in the groomer when it fell in (about midnight) had to walk out of the woods... That must have sucked...

Drivers error ;-)

but seriously, why do you have to groom all you trails?? Don't you have suspension on your sleds?? ;)!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Is the kind of stuff that the guys who clear & mark our trails go through, that you rarely hear about.
Thank you for doing it for us! :Rockon:

That walk would really suck!!! :o|

How would you like to go over that edge with your sled???

As Bill the Cat would say: Acccckkk!!!

Back