• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying 08 Apex MTX - Need Aftermarket Advice

sledneck22

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
So I am probably going to be buying a left over 2008 Apex Mtn from a dealer. Pretty good price so I am going to pull the trigger and step up from the 06 GT with 9110 miles. Does anyone recommend any parts from yamaha right off the bat? I am probably going to buy a larger windshield for trail riding around here but do I buy the Yamaha Ice scratchers or go else where? Anything else I should invest in from the git-go or just run the stocker.

Congrats on your purchase. I have an 09 MTX I bought new last year.

The biggest thing will be the handling. Mine almost threw me off due to darting on the trail to the play area. I so far have added 1/4" homemade shims to the stock skis with stock runners. I also have some ski savers from Bergstrom and will install those next chance I take. So far the shims alone have made a huge positive difference. I now feel like I am actually driving the sled rather than along for the ride on rutted trails.

I am a big guy so I changed the rear spring cam to H. The ride is still good on the trail and my back doesn't hurt but the handling is better for me at this setting.

I have done nothing else yet but do have a set of Woody's Slim Jims and some newer single carbides (6" vs. 3" stock) in reserve.

You might look at onboard storage also. I will be adding a rear rack to secure my snow shoes and other necessities that will not fit in the backpack.

It may take some time to get used to the long track handling on the beast but you will enjoy it I am sure. I find I can out climb and out run my good sense any day of the week.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the addition of a ice scratchers. I use the flexible ones so reverse doesn't tear them off. It really helps with cooling on low snow trails. When not is use or when loading in the trailer, I tuck them on top of the rails.

I've added dartless, big-man spring, 2 1/2" riser (I'm 6-1 and I still bent over with stock) and ice scrathers-hard style-cable style didn't work for me.

Biggest thing to watch out for is hyfax wear. I change mine twice a winter. Just finished last night doing it by myself for the first time. With a come-a-long and ratchet strap.

David :yam:

Parts

Im not to worried about the risers because I have the Throttle cable and Brake cable + Rox Elite 4.5" riser to go onto the stock riser. Has anyone tried the yamaha brand ice scratchers that attach to the rail? I am thinking of giving these a try.

Attachments

• sma-icesc-bk-00-250.jpg
    sma-icesc-bk-00-250.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 85
I think they work pretty well, I often see the flexable ones bent up and not really doing much, even when they are brand new they don't do as much as the yamaha factory style or the Sta-Cool type.
The metal spring type work very well, but I would plan on buying 2 sets per sled as you always find a way to break them. You'll forget to put up when loading, or reversing, or something. I have given into just having mine down all the time and replacing them once they break, it has really improved hyfax wear and cooling.
I haven't broken one yet this season on any of my 3 sleds (knock on wood) but have 3 spare sets at the house just in case.

The one thing I would add is a set of Stud Boy Shaper bars. They do help with the darting issues when on the trail. I'm curious as to how much off trail deep snow riding you're doing in Sparta to justify going with the longer track?

I have a bunch of buddies that go out west to the mountains regularily and make frequent trips the the UP. Thats how I justify it. Plus I have had my but planted long enough on top of a Mono to know I want to go with something different. I would extend mine out but don't want to go through all the work with a chassis that almost has 10000 miles. I would rather start from scratch I guess...
As for the shaper bars. Those are in the garage already.

Back