• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Camso “R” track

What is the “R” designation mean? Are they made differently?

What is the “R” designation mean? Are they made differently?

Poo - "Hey dude I mean, Mr Camso, Polaris here, you know the guy with the backpack, bright colors, and mountain dew perma-smirk "

Cam - "Whats up bud"

Poo - "We are having a problem getting performance from the Boost, can you help us out?

Cam - "Yes, I guess we can make you a slightly narrower track I guess, you know, less rotating mass, probably have Pete run them through his bandsaw at home. It will have to be generally available because we can't play favorites, what will you say when people notice it is narrower."

Poo - "Well, could you put an R designation on it, that will make it sound like a feature, not a performance patch"

Cam - "Sounds good, and what about the other brands when they see it in our catalog"

Poo - "No worries, we will call it an exclusive poo feature that way other brands are copying us"

Cam - "uhm.. okay.. uh bye ...dude?"

Poo - "thanks for the solid"

A 136" track has approximately 39" (length) of track on the ground at rest. A 14" wide R track has approximately 10% less track surface on the ground, and if you want to compare by skid length that is the difference between a 136" and a 148" skid. That 10% less track surface equates to less floatation, and potentially less traction although that is a bit debatable and condition dependent. It is 15% less rotating mass when you compare a standard 14" to a standard 15.25" track. Looking at the camso brochure they have a R track listed they call a hacksaw model that they recommend for ice/grass but their ice/grass tracks I don't think look anything like a hacksaw so that may be a typo.

The tracks that are listed in the racing section speak to different rubber compounds than standard, not sure if this applies to the Polaris R track.

(edited. so many typos and morning grammar)

Last edited:
Yep. Lol
Just like the rest of us that run 13.5 or 14 wide tracks on our turbos.
It’s because we can’t get performance out of them.
Lots of good reading here though, fiction is my favorite! Lol
I agree NY. I don’t know why they have cobra 1.325? Supposed to be r rating on assault shorter lug track. I guess we will see.

Yep. Lol
Just like the rest of us that run 13.5 or 14 wide tracks on our turbos.
It’s because we can’t get performance out of them.
Lots of good reading here though, fiction is my favorite! Lol
I agree NY. I don’t know why they have cobra 1.325? Supposed to be r rating on assault shorter lug track. I guess we will see.
It was a joke but...

You run them by choice because you understand the benefits and the resulting tradeoffs. The average buyer does not and thinks R means 'just like the other but better'. Like LE vs SE. My sarcasm was aimed at Polaris marketing, not the physics.

I know that’s why lol and I joked back.
I may run 13.5 wide on my poo. Had many 14 wides on previous cats.
Have had non r rated tracks in 140s so maybe they aren’t needed but I think it was more for liability. Poo has been sued a lot it seems

They can be cut if you would like them narrowed. They are 15 wide though I do believe as you said.

Well that idea of a narrower track for more top speed has been around for years.
Firecat for one!
Any others?

The idea is they dig and launch quicker also on top of weight reduction. Every little bit helps but all depends on what you want and riding style

Poo - "Hey dude I mean, Mr Camso, Polaris here, you know the guy with the backpack, bright colors, and mountain dew perma-smirk "

Cam - "Whats up bud"

Poo - "We are having a problem getting performance from the Boost, can you help us out?

Cam - "Yes, I guess we can make you a slightly narrower track I guess, you know, less rotating mass, probably have Pete run them through his bandsaw at home. It will have to be generally available because we can't play favorites, what will you say when people notice it is narrower."

Poo - "Well, could you put an R designation on it, that will make it sound like a feature, not a performance patch"

Cam - "Sounds good, and what about the other brands when they see it in our catalog"

Poo - "No worries, we will call it an exclusive poo feature that way other brands are copying us"

Cam - "uhm.. okay.. uh bye ...dude?"

Poo - "thanks for the solid"

A 136" track has approximately 39" (length) of track on the ground at rest. A 14" wide R track has approximately 10% less track surface on the ground, and if you want to compare by skid length that is the difference between a 136" and a 148" skid. That 10% less track surface equates to less floatation, and potentially less traction although that is a bit debatable and condition dependent. It is 15% less rotating mass when you compare a standard 14" to a standard 15.25" track. Looking at the camso brochure they have a R track listed they call a hacksaw model that they recommend for ice/grass but their ice/grass tracks I don't think look anything like a hacksaw so that may be a typo.

The tracks that are listed in the racing section speak to different rubber compounds than standard, not sure if this applies to the Polaris R track.

(edited. so many typos and morning grammar)
That's some funny stuff there dude!!! LOL

Back