• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can’t get jackshaft bearing out!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up taking the bracket right off. My question now is during installation of the bracket/jackshaft you have a little wiggle room in the bolt holes so in theory could the jackshaft alignment be a little off now from where it was due to bracket being slightly in a different position? Putting pressure on chaincase side bearing? I did take pictures before disassembly but thats not really helping much. Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up taking the bracket right off. My question now is during installation of the bracket/jackshaft you have a little wiggle room in the bolt holes so in theory could the jackshaft alignment be a little off now from where it was due to bracket being slightly in a different position? Putting pressure on chaincase side bearing? I did take pictures before disassembly but thats not really helping much. Thanks
The jackshaft bearings are of a self aligning type, not the typical roller or taper bearing type.

The jackshaft bearings are of a self aligning type, not the typical roller or taper bearing type.
They are just regular deep groove ball bearings. Wouldn’t a self aligning bearing be more like a wobble bearing?

The shaft should line up and the bolt holes in the bracket should also line up to there mounting holes to the chassis. As long as the bearing is fully pressed onto the shaft ther also shouldn't be a large gap between the brace and the chassis. Basically should go back together fairly easily.

The shaft should line up and the bolt holes in the bracket should also line up to there mounting holes to the chassis. As long as the bearing is fully pressed onto the shaft ther also shouldn't be a large gap between the brace and the chassis. Basically should go back together fairly easily.
They all line up. I just noticed the jackshaft/bracket has a bit of movement, adjustment, play, whatever you want to call it, with the holes being slightly bigger than the bolts (Like most fasteners). Maybe a millimetre or two. I was wondering if the bracke/jackshaft not being in the exact spot it was before might be of concern. Almost need dowel pins so bracket would always go back exactly where it was before.

They all line up. I just noticed the jackshaft/bracket has a bit of movement, adjustment, play, whatever you want to call it, with the holes being slightly bigger than the bolts (Like most fasteners). Maybe a millimetre or two. I was wondering if the bracke/jackshaft not being in the exact spot it was before might be of concern. Almost need dowel pins so bracket would always go back exactly where it was before.
I never really thought of that the holes are a little bigger and the brace not lighning up perfectly. It was my first time removing and reinstalling the brace, I hope everything lined up and the secondary clutch is running true.

Maybe a centre to centre measurement from primary clutch to jackshaft would be in order before disassembled. 1mm adjustment/ wiggle room would translate at the end of the shaft

Just thinking out load

I never really thought of that the holes are a little bigger and the brace not lighning up perfectly. It was my first time removing and reinstalling the brace, I hope everything lined up and the secondary clutch is running true.
Be careful what you wish for ... "someone" assembled that shaft, bearing, chain case, brace, etc at the factory. I would not assume it was done exactly correctly OR perfectly. There might be slight changes that would improve efficiency, alignment, etc. Many of us have seen the factory's work - some of it leaves allot to be desired. I have even watched line assembly at Cat in Thief River Falls. After that visit, every time I get a new sled, once I get it home, I basically disassemble it and re-assemble it myself. Sometimes, I just shake my head at the stuff I've seen.

Back