• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

can anybody explain these parts?

grashoper

Extreme
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone... Well, a couple days ago I blew a wheel bearing which caused damage to the wheel mount. I ordered up my new parts and had them flown in overnight. I got the new mount, and wheels yesterday, but the wheel is much bigger, and the mount is completely different. I also ordered the rear wheels, and are also, much bigger. Both myself, and the dealer triple checked the part numbers and they are coinciding properly with what was ordered. I have ordered lots of parts in the past and never had such a problem. Just wondering if anybody can make any sense of this, and perhaps know of a solution, or the proper part numbers for what I need.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, these wheels are the VERY front wheels... closest to the front of the sled...

The sled is a 2005 Rx Warrior LE with I believe (i think it's called) a pro action suspension.??? here's a picture of the new VS old parts. Thanks in advance for any help.

wheels.jpg

Looks to me that the blown wheel was part of an aftermarket marginal wheel kit (maybe Yamaha's marginal wheel kit), and not the stock wheels found on your Warrior.

Were those small wheels located at the bend in the front rail? I'm guessing that you are not the first owner, else you'd probably know about that set of wheels. Take a look at the microfiches on hlsm.com and compare the diagrams.

Grimm said:
Looks to me that the blown wheel was part of an aftermarket marginal wheel kit (maybe Yamaha's marginal wheel kit), and not the stock wheels found on your Warrior.

Were those small wheels located at the bend in the front rail? I'm guessing that you are not the first owner, else you'd probably know about that set of wheels. Take a look at the microfiches on hlsm.com and compare the diagrams.

What do you mean by "marginal wheel kit"?? is that a brand??

yes, they are the wheels located at the bend of the rail... the most forwardly wheels in the rails.. I check the hlsm microfiche and the parts (diagram) and numbers are identical to what I have. Aftermarket idea may explain the wheels, but would that explain the different mount??

Does anybody's sled have the old mount shown in the picture, or the new one??

And no, I'm not the original owner, but I'm only the second owner... Also, the rear wheels, (the old ones) have gray swirly design to them, and the new ones are solid black.... just doesn't add up... very odd...

Here is the skid from the same sled.

Someone might have bought an aftermarked wheel kit and installed it in the skid to help with hyfax wear. Those wheels are much smaller. I did buy a wheel kit from Port Yamaha for my Nytro XTX, and the wheels look to be about the same size.

(2) Bracket - 8ES-47419-20

(2) Washer - 90201-10038

(2) Bolt - 90105-10150

(2) Spoke Wheel - SMA-8FP38-01-BK (black)

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

Attachments

• skid4.JPG
    skid4.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 186
The part # I see is 8CR-4731A-00-00 which is different than what you have, as long as you are talking Stock wheels and not low snow kit I think you got the wrong wheel.

Sorry I found that your # supersedes this one so must be a low snow kit

It might be the Yamaha marginal wheel kit.
Check out the accessories on Yamaha Canada's website.
Part #SMA-8FA95-00-00

Attachments

• SMA-8FA95-00-00.jpg
    SMA-8FA95-00-00.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 161
SnoWarrior said:
Here is the skid from the same sled.

Someone might have bought an aftermarked wheel kit and installed it in the skid to help with hyfax wear. Those wheels are much smaller. I did buy a wheel kit from Port Yamaha for my Nytro XTX, and the wheels look to be about the same size.

(2) Bracket - 8ES-47419-20

(2) Washer - 90201-10038

(2) Bolt - 90105-10150

(2) Spoke Wheel - SMA-8FP38-01-BK (black)

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

Yep...i think your correct... The picture of that skid, is identical to what is currently on my sled... with the exception of those front wheels... The front wheels in 'your' picture is what I received for the new ones... So... looks like in order for me to use what i have, I'll have to order another mount for the other side, to match.... or... give it all back and try to match what is currently being used... LOL Bummer...

The rear wheels, I JUST figured them out.... The wheels I received, is for the inside of the skid, (the single wheel at the rear) instead of the outside ones.... Can i still use the two inside wheels, on the outside instead??

Yes, you should be able to use the black rear wheels on the outside, in fact they are probably better due to the replaceable bearings. The original outer "gray swirl" design doesn't have replaceable bearings.

There are a lot, and I mean a lot of posts/threads here on idler wheels and improving slider wear. Take some time searching TY, a lot of good ideas since this has been an issue for several years and it seems to still be an issue even with the 2011 Apexes.

Grimm said:
It might be the Yamaha marginal wheel kit.
Check out the accessories on Yamaha Canada's website.
Part #SMA-8FA95-00-00

YES!! that is EXACTLY what is on my sled!! Thank you! how much you wanna bet, that the mounts can't be purchased separately... lol Its prob. only sold in that kit.... Kinda strange tho, that the smaller wheels are a "marginal snow kit" instead of the larger wheels... One would think, larger wheels would lessen the friction on the track against the slides, and not the smaller ones... Assuming that is the purpose of the kit...

Grimm said:
Yes, you should be able to use the black rear wheels on the outside, in fact they are probably better due to the replaceable bearings. The original outer "gray swirl" design doesn't have replaceable bearings.

There are a lot, and I mean a lot of posts/threads here on idler wheels and improving slider wear. Take some time searching TY, a lot of good ideas since this has been an issue for several years and it seems to still be an issue even with the 2011 Apexes.

I will for sure... I'm still fairly new here as this is my first Yamaha, and first 4 stroke... I have read a tonn on here, and continue to do so... Thank you so much for your help... Our winter is pretty much over here in Nova Scotia... only the odd snow bank left and that's it.. had a VERY short lived winter this year.. Was planning a last trip to New Brunswick early next week if I can get the proper parts all in place...

Well, I think the EASIEST thing to do, would be to go back to the stock set up.... Ideally tho.. would be to stick with the kit set up... I have all the original factory set up new.. except the mounting hardware for the mount... and one mount for the right side. The kit set up mounts completely different than the stock... It mounts with a allen type bolt, and the stock setup looks to have a long nut and bolt that goes straight threw the mount and the skid.. LOL Ohhh boy... I kinda got a bit of this, and a bit of that... and a whole lot of useless stuff at the moment...

Marginal wheel kits are usually mounted in a part of the rail where the manufacturer never intended to install wheels, therefore the rail isn't "beefy" enough to mount a taller wheel mount.

Personally I would try to use a kit that using an axle mounted between the rails versus using mounts bolted to the rails. However, you always have to check to see if there is no clearance issues when the suspension collapses and hits the wheels.

Here's a pic from Wahl bros website on a set that describes what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 02-830AWeb.jpg
    02-830AWeb.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 176
Grimm said:
Marginal wheel kits are usually mounted in a part of the rail where the manufacturer never intended to install wheels, therefore the rail isn't "beefy" enough to mount a taller wheel mount.

Personally I would try to use a kit that using an axle mounted between the rails versus using mounts bolted to the rails. However, you always have to check to see if there is no clearance issues when the suspension collapses and hits the wheels.

Here's a pic from Wahl bros website on a set that describes what I'm talking about.

Ahhhhh!! Okay... it's starting to make even more sense to me now!! I didn't realize that the two set ups were mounted in different spots... mmmmmm.. Interesting... Oddly enough, that marginal snow kit is WAY cheaper than the stock set up.. lol I could give all these parts back, and order that kit a whole let cheaper than what these 3 pieces were... I think that's what I'll do for now... .

I really like the idea of using an axle set up a lot... But, I can order anything from my local dealer, and as long as it's ordered by 11Am, it will be here the next morning by 10AM, which will get me back up for that one last run. So, I think that's what I'll end up doing for now... I may change things over the summer... Thank you guys so much for your (speedy) replies and assistance!! Really appreciate it...

Okay, now I feel like a great big dummy!! ahahahah!!
I finally made it up to my sled to try and figure all this out, and what I was going to do do resolve the situation. After actually looking at my sled, I came to realize that these smaller wheels and mounts are an "ADD-ON" set of wheels, and NOT a "REPLACEMENT" for the factory OEM wheels.... LOL So technically, these smaller wheels (the one that blew a bearing) don't even 'need' to be there. :)

grashoper said:
Okay, now I feel like a great big dummy!! ahahahah!!
I finally made it up to my sled to try and figure all this out, and what I was going to do do resolve the situation. After actually looking at my sled, I came to realize that these smaller wheels and mounts are an "ADD-ON" set of wheels, and NOT a "REPLACEMENT" for the factory OEM wheels.... LOL So technically, these smaller wheels (the one that blew a bearing) don't even 'need' to be there. :)

You are correct sir!! and many of us have tried these "marginal snow wheels" and found if you are an aggressive rider or ride in marginal snow they last a couple hundred mile and sieze and then snap off.

Back