• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbide Recommendations

benboat

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex
What is a good carbide for a 2006 Apex GT. Riding is mainly on groomed trails.

Bergstrom 8" triple points with ski shims!

Those are probably the two most commonly suggested options. As they just plain work.

If on a budget, a person could go with Woody's Dooleys. Go with a length that matches the rear. (with or without studs)

I have the same sled, same year and use Stud Boy Dually 6" with single host bar. They perform well and wear better than most other brands I have tried.

Although I wasn't running Stud Boy's Deuce bar, had their Shapers on my 08 Apex w/ USI X2 skis, I will be switching to Snow Studs Magnum Runners series bars after the success I had with running their Sniper Double Down Runners series on my 18 Apex w/ CurveXS skis. I too had found the wear on Stud Boy bars to be better than most but was very impressed with how well those Double Downs have worn thus far and decided to make the switch.

I was using Bergstroms, but went back to Woody's slim jim doolies. X2 on the ski shim; it made a world of difference. Also, my carbides wear evenly across their entire length (both Bergstrom and Woody's).

What is a good carbide for a 2006 Apex GT. Riding is mainly on groomed trails.
Pilot 5.7 skis with appropriate carbide length for however many studs you are running and 4" carbides in the outer positions on the skis. Proven many times to work well on the non-EPS Apex's

ski shim for sure and i run 6" stud boy shaper bars on my stuff but i am unstudded.

Heard of issues with pushing with the Woody's Slim Jim Dooly due to the round bar. I ordered Snow Studs Double Downs they look aggressive with square bar, have yet to see how they work. Price is reasonable as well.

Heard of issues with pushing with the Woody's Slim Jim Dooly due to the round bar. I ordered Snow Studs Double Downs they look aggressive with square bar, have yet to see how they work. Price is reasonable as well.
Those must be the Double Down Sniper version then. The standard Double Down carbides use round bars.

Those must be the Double Down Sniper version then. The standard Double Down carbides use round bars.
You are correct, they are the sniper version.

Last edited:
I tried to run those double carbide runners.
R R tracks stopped my sled in an instant.
No flex in the dual setup compaired to a single runner.
The dual runners will spear and send you for a ride...

Screenshot_20231114-174848_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231114-174901_Gallery.jpg

I tried to run those double carbide runners.
R R tracks stopped my sled in an instant.
No flex in the dual setup compaired to a single runner.
The dual runners will spear and send you for a ride...

View attachment 174057View attachment 174058
Looks like you just got unlucky. I had dualies on the apex for awhile and never had any problems with RR tracks. Not even sure how you could do it considering the rounded profile of the top of RR tracks so you got very unlucky, maybe you caught the seam between two track segments?

Back