• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carving the Nytro

acesfan05

Extreme
I ride a short track Nytro with 1.75" Backcountry track on it and 7" Powederhound skis. I find it difficult to carve. I ride trails but lotsa off trail in the deep powder.

If anyone here has considerable riding time on a short track and long track Nytro, how would you compare the 2 for carving in say 2 feet of poweder?

I realize the long track should be easier to carve for anyone, but still wonder what you all think.

Thanks,
Will

The mags here in Sweden has tried both and they all liked the XTX better than the RTX. Mostly because of the shocks and clutch in the RTX SE is so harsh but thay also said tha XTX is the best "all around" sled out there. Better than the Renegade and Switshback in the powder and better than the CF on the trails. Although the testsleds had a 1,5" intense track and extroverts... But all riders over here siays the XTX should have come with 1,75" backcountrytrack from factory!

take the powderhounds off, put a set of stock mtx skis on it, and go to the powder. i bet you will be stunned.

i find the oem yamaha mtx skis are great in the powder. i can put the sled where i want to, where the powderhounds feel vague and unsure of where you want them to go. and you seem to have to force them to track where you want them.

on the other hand, the mtx ski seems too aggressive for the trail on the mtx. twitches and darts in others ski tracks. the powderhounds are better on the trail than the oem mtx skis for sure but, due to their keel, they have a bad push in them.

i havent found a perfect balance that will do both, without sacrificing handling at one thing or another.

i have had stockers, powderhounds, and pilots i have put them all through long trips trying to make them work. none of them do everything well.

i'll suffer on the trail a bit with the stockers so i can get the feel of the mtx ski where i like riding, offtrail in the deep. my .02 ski

Carving the short track Nytro isn't something that too many people will jump on that sled and accomplish. Although Yamaha stated the sleds have a low center of gravity, I think most of us have realized, it's not really that low. The high COG makes finding the balance point difficult. Getting the sled up on one ski is easy. A little blip of the throttle combined with some body english makes the sled respond every time.

Like skidooboy I think that there is a right ski for every situation, but no ski for all-around. The right ski will certainly help with the carving, but you'll still be challenged by the center of gravity. Once the ski is up, she either wants to go right back down, or go completely over. One of the real factors I think is the width of the tunnel. While it's extremely comfortable and excellent for large boots and transitioning from side to side, it acts as a second rutter when trying to do any carving with counter steer.
I still haven't found a way to comfortably power turn my shorty without doing the one leg hang off. It's the only way I feel that I have enough weight on one side to assure that she isn't going to pitch me over the other side.

Carving the 08 RTX is definately different and challenging. I've had the Mtn. skis on mine since day 1 so I don't know if that makes that big of a difference? maybe?... I do feel the deep boards of the 08 Nytro's can't be very beneficial for carving. I'm almost certain the new taper boards on the new SE's and XTX's has to be an improvement. I can commit myself to carving my Nytro but it kinda scares the crap out of me at times. I don't like carrying a bunch of speed when I do it. Now my Phazer mtn. is "Carving for idiots" That sled is hands down the easiest sled I've ever gone boondocking on. My Attak was easier to Carve than my RTX.

Hey skidooboy, how would you compare the darting of the MTX skis on the trail as compared to the stock XTX skis? I put a set of Woody's carbides on my stock skis and I have them pretty much where I want them. I don't find them too bad in the deep but added flotation would be nice. Are the MTX a lot worse or just a bit? I could love with a bit but just want your feedback. Thx in advance.

I haven't had the oppurtunity to carve the Nytro yet. If it is anything like the short track phazer, it is pretty dang hard to carve. I am hoping it is not that bad. The phazer either wanted to be tipped over or straight up. My Apex on the other hand, is the easiest sled I have every had to carve. I have driven a Nytro MTX and there is a slight learing curve with it, but once you get that down it is a pretty easy sled to carve.
IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_1374Large.jpg

IMG_1247Medium.jpg

I was out carving 3-4 feet of fresh pow on Weds with my RTX and didn't have any issues. It was the most carving I ever did in my life, not a track in the snow and sunny skies. I don't think both my skis were flat on the ground for longer than 5 consecutive seconds that day, it was incredible ! I'll post some helmet cam footage as soon as my source gets off his lazy #*$&@ and does so ;)!

You'll have better success carving a rider forward sled by staying low and forward. That becomes more true for sustained turns. A short track will get the job done with less effort than a long track, but will also get stuck faster when you get too aggressive or too lazy with technique. Standing and leaning has it's place, but that place is usually on the stretched-out mountain sled. Less effort is required on a shorty. Of course you're limited to less extreme snow depths, hills, and side hills as well. But the question was about carving. Try it low and see how you do.

A good friend and I always judge our turns by the diameter we can do a full 360* circle in. My XTX and his Renegade are a dead heat. Tonight I'll park the XTX and will take a brand new XP Renegade. There's plenty of recent snow at the cabin. This should be telling. Another friend can spank us on his 144" Summit simply because he's more able to get his butt onto the running boards. He's very talented in the fluff. But his idea of working off a hangover is repetitively climbing a mountain slope to drop off cornices. I prefer to sleep it off at the bottom.

SB

ditch the sway bar...put a set of float2's on and you will carve like there is no tomorrow...

at first was skeptical of the FLoat 2's doing much but OH WOW!!!

but if your into carving pow, you cant do it (well) with a sway bar...that is something for you trail riders...(no offense intended)

I have the same problem i can get the skis off the ground goin back and forth but as soon as i lean over to get it to really carve it goes all the way over and pitches me off

Practice by putting both feet on one side of running board, inside of the way your carving. Kick out a leg for balance and to stop the sled from coming right over on you. You can push yourself back up with this leg if you tip over while keeping on the throttle. Start out slow. You'll get faster at it once you get a feel for the balance point.

This is all great advice guys. Any advice on playing with my front limiter strap and changing the angle of attack to get the skis even higher off the snow in the deep stuff to help carve?

Thanks,
Will

Back