• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CCA on Viper Battery

Here's a pic of the battery saying 310cca, also sitting on a scale and weighing in at 4.5oz short of 15lbs.

Attachments

• 20141219_135227.jpg
    20141219_135227.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 318

Mine started well with stock at 11 below F no issue really. Before spending money have your dealer Load test it, it may be on Yamahas dime.

I took mine to the UP last week and sat overnight at -15 F and soueld not even start the gauges. New Yausa in the UP??? $125.00 yikes. The battery swas kept on trickle charger almost the entire off season.

I took mine to the UP last week and sat overnight at -15 F and soueld not even start the gauges. New Yausa in the UP??? $125.00 yikes. The battery swas kept on trickle charger almost the entire off season.
In one of the more recent SnowTech magazine articles they recommend just putting the battery maintainer/trickle charger on once a month in the off season. Even when battery is up to full charge there is a small amount of charge and in the long term is hard on the battery.
I put the maintainer on once a month. Just change the batteries in my 06 Rage's, batteries are still good and no starting problems, change for peace of mind. Installed in snowblower. From fall of 05 till end of 14 = almost 9 1/2 years I will stick with the once a month system.

In one of the more recent SnowTech magazine articles they recommend just putting the battery maintainer/trickle charger on once a month in the off season. Even when battery is up to full charge there is a small amount of charge and in the long term is hard on the battery.
I put the maintainer on once a month. Just change the batteries in my 06 Rage's, batteries are still good and no starting problems, change for peace of mind. Installed in snowblower. From fall of 05 till end of 14 = almost 9 1/2 years I will stick with the once a month system.
It really depends on the charger you use. If you use a high efficiency (or switched mode) charger (CTEK, NOCO, or the new HE Battery Tender's) you don't have to worry about over-charging between charging cycles... just leave them hooked up and don't worry about it!

Mine is high end and still only on battery 2 to 3 days every 2 weeks I rotated it on 3 sleds and 2 muscle cars

Just pulled a 2015 viper outa the box put 10 miles on at home,took sled to cabin , got 58 miles on temps hit -45 windchill overnight sled wont start had to boost. pissed me off buddies 1970 el tigre parked beside mine fired right up

Just pulled a 2015 viper outa the box put 10 miles on at home,took sled to cabin , got 58 miles on temps hit -45 windchill overnight sled wont start had to boost. pissed me off buddies 1970 el tigre parked beside mine fired right up

I read last year that the dealer was notified last year to FULLY charge the battery before delivery. So lets say he doesn't and you take your Viper someplace very cold and let it sit overnight, and because the battery does not have enough of a charge it freezes the battery. BOOM, instant starting issues, and bad battery in a new sled. If you take delivery of a new Viper and your dealer did not fully charge the battery (how many really do?) make sure you ride it a few hours right away or put the charger on it.

Question, did the dealer store your sled outside in a crate with very low temps?

Just a thought.

At the risk of starting an argument I feel compelled to point out that once a vehicle reaches the actual air temp that "wind chill" will not make the mechanical device become any colder than the actual air temp.

If you park a vehicle with a hot engine outside, wind will absolutely cause the engine temp to drop down to the actual air temp much faster than if the vehicle was sitting in still air of the same temp. Therefore if you are parking a vehicle outside for a few hours it really does make a difference if it is in the wind or not. However after a long enough time period (like overnight) "wind chill" becomes a moot point as that vehicle would have eventually dropped down to the actual air temp overnight with or without the wind.

The exception would be if you have a device that is adding heat to the engine while it is being parked such as an engine block heater. In that case the wind will definitely lower the engine temp no matter how long the vehicle sits outside in the wind because the wind will be "stealing" the heat from the engine that is being added by the engine block heater.

That being said, I would guess that your actual air temp was well below zero which is a good test of your battery. However a brand new battery that is properly charged should be able to handle that. This makes me wonder if your battery on your brand new sled was charged properly when you parked it overnight.

If the dealer never charged it I am not sure if 10 miles of riding would have done it? When I got my new 2015 Viper home I put my Optimate 4 on the battery just to be sure I had a fully charged battery and it did need charging.

I would like to thank everyone on the great input! I will keep this in mind.
Earth X may have to work on the electronics a little more at extreme cold? Or quality control, not sure?
I have used gel Battery's in the past on trucks, tons of crank power even at -30C.
I have not found one to fit the Viper. I know there would be no no weight reduction with this type of battery.

Thank you all!

i ran a earthx in my nytro for 2 seasons, no problems.
I DID have maybe 2 or 3 slow starts when it was like 0 in the garage and sled had sat there a couple weeks. trick is to not keep cranking, just stop, turn key off, cycle key and fuel pump, wait till pump shuts off, crank. worked on the 2nd crank everytime, its like earthx says, the current draw warms the battery.
was planning on putting one in the viper till i saw it was $350, i know i didnt pay that for the 1st one!
think i may try a ballistic 16cell instead at $248 bucks. gonna measure tomm see if it fits, keep you guys posted!

i ran a earthx in my nytro for 2 seasons, no problems.
I DID have maybe 2 or 3 slow starts when it was like 0 in the garage and sled had sat there a couple weeks. trick is to not keep cranking, just stop, turn key off, cycle key and fuel pump, wait till pump shuts off, crank. worked on the 2nd crank everytime, its like earthx says, the current draw warms the battery.
was planning on putting one in the viper till i saw it was $350, i know i didnt pay that for the 1st one!
think i may try a ballistic 16cell instead at $248 bucks. gonna measure tomm see if it fits, keep you guys posted!

Thank you.
I am still running stock battery.
@ -30 I do turn the key to the on position and wait for the fuel pump to stop, then I try to start. If that fails I try again.
Most time I have had 3 try's at most at it will start.
I do not run the starter for more than 3 sec.
This is after a week of non use and cold temps.

Back