• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

chain case leak

I am experiencing the same issue. I have the chaincase cover, top gear, and chain off. I see the feeder tube for the reverse gearbox. Is there anyway to replace the tube and rubber gasket without pulling the top bearing and completely removing the reverse gearbox? Any help is greatly appreciated.

np342403 said:
I am experiencing the same issue. I have the chaincase cover, top gear, and chain off. I see the feeder tube for the reverse gearbox. Is there anyway to replace the tube and rubber gasket without pulling the top bearing and completely removing the reverse gearbox? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes the rubber gasket that the tube goes thru is what needs to be replace but before you do that the holes need to be lined up so it doesn't continue to leak. Loosen up the chaincase bolts and align the holes with the reverse gearbox then install your new rubber tube gasket.

Vermonter said:
Yes the rubber gasket that the tube goes thru is what needs to be replace but before you do that the holes need to be lined up so it doesn't continue to leak. Loosen up the chaincase bolts and align the holes with the reverse gearbox then install your new rubber tube gasket.

yep thats what i ended up doing, no need to pull the seat or tank, i got the case gasket as well just to be sure there would be no leaks, and not a drop has come out.

brad d said:
Vermonter said:

yep thats what i ended up doing, no need to pull the seat or tank, i got the case gasket as well just to be sure there would be no leaks, and not a drop has come out.

Did you guys replace the rubber gasket with the same P/N that was removed (90480-10012-00)? I see that it is a different P/N for the 2008's?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the GL-3 gear oil that is recommended? Most oils I see now are for GL-4 and GL-5 applications? I hear that GL-5 gear oils are potentially corrosive to softer metals such as copper...due to the EP additives.

The chaincase does have a few copper washers in it and potentially other softer metals I am not aware of.

What are you guys running in the chaincase?

How do you realign the cases? I had the entire bulkhead off and now I've got a leak from the reverse tube.

Back