• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Wear Question

I'm a Viper owner, but I'm on my third chain because of the stretch on the 86 chain with 21/41 gearing. Seems that combination runs out of adjustment quick when the chain stretches. I'm switching to the 22 top gear so I can keep using my used chain; lots of adjustment left now. Should help prevent more nub wear too. We'll see what it does to my trail riding style this season.

I would say new chain. I changed mine when I was at that point.
Maybe check out some different ratios at the same time.
I assume you are running the stock 21-41?
I am changing my 21-41 to a 24-50.
I have about 100 miles on 24/50 in VT so far this season. I like it for tight trails. Jury is still out on whether I stick with this setup long term though. I will probably run it the remainder of the season. It runs out of gear really really fast. 116mph and it is done. My sled ran 123-124 on the same stretch with 21/41.

Last edited:
22/48 is whats in the new riot 9000’s according to the spec sheet. 146 has great traction and the helix is pretty agressive so it loads motor pretty hard down low and pulls great. Gotta have traction to enjoy low gears though!

I have about 100 miles on 24/50 in VT so far this season. I like it for tight trails. Jury is still out on whether I stick with this setup long term though. I will probably run it the remainder of the season. It runs out of gear really really fast. 116mph and it is done. My sled ran 123-124 on the same stretch with 21/41.
Yup. I tried the 24\50 for a season, thinking jt would be better on tight trails. Maybe it works ok for a stock sled, but a tuned sled needs more gear, not less.

How did it drive otherwise?
I don't spend a lot of time in the high triple digits around here
It seems to be a bit more responsive. We rode 55 miles in Barnard today which was very twisty. I like this gearing for that. I'm thinking it will feel a bit low for the bigger trails from Groton North, but time will tell.

You shouldnt notice much of a difference in rpm anyway when cruising on bigger trails…….clutching has way more of an effect on that then the gears do. My riot with 22/48 cruises at a lower rpm at 60mph and 75mph then I ever got out of winder even with 1.8 ratios but I never strayed far from a straight 35 helix. Havent had an opportunity to observe cruising higher than that. Ive never had an increase or decrease in mpg experimenting with different gears. The high speed (80mph plus) pull will get reduced but have to be honest with yourself on how much time you spend there. Often times with low gears you can get away with a little less spring tension and more weight in the heels and lower cruise rpm and increase acceleration and usually have cool clutches. Not a gear set for everybody, traction is a big factor as well as your personal preference.

Back