• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase bearing failure

Mine failed at 5500 miles but I also ran my chain too tight for almost all of those miles. The bearing broke after I blew a belt at around 70mph high load condition. I could hear the top bearing making noise immediately after I installed the new belt. The complete chain case assembly is actually really cheap, like $220 complete inner with the bearings and seals. I added some Lucas oil treatment with my new case---figured it can't hurt. I also set the chain to the correct spec.

Well you are pretty much buying all the parts anyways , Yamaha doesn't have to approve the update you can do it if you want they just won't give you the parts to do it or pay to have it done .. We tried and they said no ....it's a customer pay if they want to put the new shaft in ...it's not an update it's just a improved part for new model year

Hmmm ok thanks guys. I'm at 1900km currently, 400km are turboed so just comparing with you guys.

I have 2800 turbo miles on mine and it has a weird vibration down by my feet when I let off the throttle on a hard pull.

Is this a sign of bearing going bad?

I'm going to check how tight the chain is as well. I had new gears installed so maybe they have the chain too tight!

I have 2800 turbo miles on mine and it has a weird vibration down by my feet when I let off the throttle on a hard pull.

Is this a sign of bearing going bad?

I'm going to check how tight the chain is as well. I had new gears installed so maybe they have the chain too tight!
Could be but more likely you are feeling the track hit tunnel protectors on decel. Normal and thats why they are there.

Having had a ZRT 800 in the past I have gotten into the habit of buying the best synthetic gear oil I can find. Doubled the chain life on the old cat surely can't hurt on the Viper.

Might help a little if extremely loose but its just the whole design. Slide action under decel track will always balloon under braking or decel at top. Look for black protectors from track rub. Doesnt hurt a thing.

Ok thanks for the info. Will report back.
Tight chain makes a distinctive whirring sound. No vibration but check it anyways.

Well i got looking at my suspension and i found one of my front bogey wheels has a chunk missing. I'm sure this is the problem and will replace.

can the 2016 jackshaft be put in the 2015 viper with only buying the updated jack shaft and chaincase bearing? or do you need a new chain case? Thanks!

Back